Thread: SE and XDcamHD

nimma neu

SE and XDcamHD

Is SE capable to work with native XDCam HD files?
    Somewhere I read that SE works with all codecs wich are installed on the system. When Vegas is installed at the same system, the codecs should be there. So importing the files via FAM-Mode with Sonys PDZ Software, than editing in SE, would this work?

My guess is that in 1.0 it won't be officially supported but it will later on. I also hear that there is an unofficial work-around that may work.

You should be able to test it yourself pretty soon, I imagine.

aloha,

Keith
    Keith Nealy Productions
    Big Island, Hawaii

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Actually working with MXF is more than just a codec issue, so I wouldn't really expect that in SpeedEDIT 1.0.

That said, I believe even with VT[4] there was some free tool Newtek mentioned could be downloaded to "un-MXF" those kind of clips into a form that VT[4] could understand.

How successful or convient that kind of workaround would be is subjective, of course.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Well I hope they get that one worked out eventually because, like you Eugene, I am getting very interested in that system. The new F350 looks awesome and the disk-based workflow is the answer to my dreams. They really put some thought into that system. Even Discovery HD is finally accepting XDCAM as an acceptable format where none of the sub 10K cameras are accepted.

There are some compromises however, like the HDSDI signal only being 4:2:0 but I guess everything else overshadows that especially in that price range.

But the camera is only one part of the equation - getting good glass is really the secret. But now we're talking serious money.

Oh well, gotta ratchet up the sales because the more I study about it - the more I have to have it.

It's amazing what techno-junkies we've become... It doesn't seem that long ago we were editing 3/4" with buzzing and ringing and chroma crawl...

We're getting so spoiled.

Pretty soon I'll be able to take my edit system to the beach!!!

Nahhh.... scratch that.

Aloha,

Keith
    Keith Nealy Productions
    Big Island, Hawaii

[QUOTE=Keith Nealy] Even Discovery HD is finally accepting XDCAM as an acceptable format where none of the sub 10K cameras are accepted.QUOTE]

Keith, I'm pretty sure that Discovery HD has accepted the Panasonic HVX-200 at 4:2:2 and it's under the 10k price.
    I read in the HVX forums that users had thier footage accepted.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    I just wish they'd make a stand alone XDCAM deck that was cheaper!

Last time I checked, the PDW-F70 was around $15,000 (the recorder deck), and the PDW-F30 was the play back deck for about $9,000 or so.

If they could put out a recorder deck in the $5000 range, I could see buying the deck before the camera even. Take the HDV camera would have by then, record to the XDCAM deck, skip tape. I know there was a HDV card option for the decks, so it seems they see that as an option.

Now that I'm using the FireStore, I could get real excited about having a good optical disk to back up to. Even if I shoot on the Firestore, do a trim edit, then archive the better footage to a 23GB disk... Or go Firewire out of the SpeedEDIT time line, and record to the XDCAM deck

Funny thing is, you can get a TriCaster for less than the XDCAM Deck... put in a BluRay recorder drive... oh... hmmm... I should go write that down
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

[QUOTE=ted]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nealy
    Even Discovery HD is finally accepting XDCAM as an acceptable format where none of the sub 10K cameras are accepted.QUOTE]

Keith, I'm pretty sure that Discovery HD has accepted the Panasonic HVX-200 at 4:2:2 and it's under the 10k price.
    I read in the HVX forums that users had thier footage accepted.
    This is from the XDCAM Forum at

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=discovery+HD

Kevin, the two XDCAM HD cameras the F350 and F330 are both in a different league to the XLH1 in every respect, especially picture quality. I've done extensive tests between the JVC GY-HD111, XL H1, Z1 and HVX200, they are all kind of the same ball park really, JVC and Canon coming out slightly on top in the picture quality department. When comparing the F350 to the JVC it is miles ahead. It makes the JVC look like cheap PixelVision, JVC is all blocky, harsh, very pixilated with hard edge enhancement and a ton of green fringing (lens admittedly) thrown in. On a large HD monitor you can clearly see where the extra money has gone.

The 35Mbps variable makes a huge difference, just ask any professional colourise how much they can pull out of that compared to a Z1. I know a pro Soho colourist in London and he says he can pull a ton more out of XDCAM HD than he has ever been able to get out of a Z1 or high-end DVCAM such as DSR570; says F350 is miles better for his job.

Another reason XDCAM is superior in image quality is the 1/2 inch blocks and lenses and the superior circuitry and on-board processing units. All of which are miles better than anything in the XL H1.

Discovery HD has approved XDCAM HD as a 100% acquisition format, they simply turned down XL H1 as it is just nowhere near good enough; same goes for the remaining 3 prosumer cams costing around £4000.

At the moment XDCAM HD is the only TRUE tapeless workflow from acquisition to final master, the rest (P2, Firestore, whatever) are simply tapeless acquisition formats. What I mean by this is that the with the rest all you end up with is a bunch of meaninglessly named clips and large video files; which is tapeless in its most primitive form. With XDCAM HD you name the first clip, then it automatically sequencially names all clips thereafter, until you change clip name again. This way in post you have a bunch of named clips that make perfect sense, and proxy files too. Nothing out there comes close to this well thought out workflow.

For me, XDCAM HD is too cheap considering what you get. A DSR450 is the same price as an F330; I know what I'd go for.

------------------------

Aloha

Keith
    Keith Nealy Productions
    Big Island, Hawaii