Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Demo of a modeling tool for Modo.

This is good news. Zbrush's sub pixel displacement and paint tools represent a quantum leap in modelling. Now all the other apps including new contenders like Mudbox have to show they're serious about staying in the race.

Modeler IMHO for many years has been the most intuitive poly modeller out there but it's beginning to feel worryingly neglected. Let's hope Newtek continue to invest resources in bringing it up to date.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Zbrush
    Mudbox
    Hexagon
    Silo
    Blender
    Curvey 3D
    and others
    are implementing or have implemented displacement painting with the ability to export displacement and normal maps. Its getting to be a standard feature in many apps and will only serve to drive the price down which is good for us. I wouldnt be surprised to see it appear in the 9.x dev cycle at some point. Ive also heard rumors of cool stuff coming for body paint as well, displacement painting probably wouldnt be far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead
    hi Mylenium do you have any video links to the timeline, bones and particles for modo?

as for hexagon and silo...the beta is available NOW for silo.. and hexagon does do displacement painting now even if it is rather buggy in use.

modo is not available now for public beta with the tec demo features no doubt it will come out next august and make a big splash at siggraph.
    Check the SIGGRAPH 2005 videos and you can see it all at play.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

i tried google but only came up with this...
    http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/art...e.jsp?id=33946

do you have any links?
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod
    I wouldnt be surprised to see it appear in the 9.x dev cycle at some point. Ive also heard rumors of cool stuff coming for body paint as well, displacement painting probably wouldnt be far fetched.
    dear SplineGod

-Do you know something about it? Come on tell it,right here, right now on this very modo tech thread

- I didnt know BP3 will have displacement mapping...hmm it would be lovely to dive in then..

Best

Dont know anything and even if I did know anything I still wouldnt know anything
    Either way you slice things it makes sense that Newtek will add these tools probably sooner then later.
    As far as BP3 all Ive heard are rumors of something big coming. It also makes sense that it would have something to do with displacement painting.

BP3 = bodypaint 3 from maxon btw [i think!]
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

There is also a story that Photoshop CS 3 will also be able to load models and paint them inside of Photoshop. This is sort of off topic, I just wanted to know if at some point over the next year and a half if poly painting, or displacement painting could make it into LW. Looking at Splinedgod's list though it might be a necessity.
    Woo Woo, back on the Turnip Truck!!

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod
    I wouldnt be surprised to see it appear in the 9.x dev cycle at some point.
    I'm not holding my breath on this one. I have already jumped on the Modo bandwagon because of it's painting tools. Seems the Lightwave dev team will have lots on it's plate for a while with all they plan to do. The only way I can see this happening is if Newtek buys some 3rd party technology and integrates it into Lightwave, even if they did this I would still be a bit surprised.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    It is, as they say, a big ask.
    As you say Nj, with everything else they have to address, I'd be stunned if they managed to get all this and more in. Logic dictates it's unlikely. (Not to say I don't think it would be uber-cool and would grab it with both hands! )
    Last edited by colkai; 12-12-2006 at 01:56 PM.
    Too old to die young.

Does Maya, Max, XSI have displacement painting features? I don't believe they do? It would be great to see Newtek implement such a feature, not sure if they could do it in the 9.x cycle. What about some type of plug-in that does it? Or isn’t that what Z-Brush, MudBox, BP already offer. Maybe their prices will drop because its more competitive.

not one to pull people off topic here but i'd sooner see new character animation capabilities than a displacement painter in lightwave 9.x...

displacement painters are becoming common place....top character animation tools arn't!
    Last edited by cresshead; 12-12-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I'd be surprised to see it in the 9.x cycle, but I think Larry is right, I think it's just a matter of time before we get displacement painting in Lightwave. I just hope there is some innovative thinking when its implemented on Newtek's part, rather then just them racing to try and bring something that is becoming an industry standard tool to Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead
    not one to pull people off topic here but i'd sooner see new character animation capabilities than a displacement painter in lightwave 9.x...

displacement painters are becoming common place....top character animation tools arn't!
    :agree: I also believe the advancement of character rigging and animation in Lightwave is far more important than painting tools at the moment.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Is it just me or does all that stuff look not so new and not so difficult to implement?
    I mean.. it's amazing, yes, but it's just 3D photoshop isn't it? you have your blur, your burn and dodge tool, your twirl and just paintbrush...
    How hard can it be to just intersect those mouse movements with whichever axis you're looking at the model, and apply those as if it were 2D but then expanded into the Z axis? Seems like basic conceptual programming ideas to me.

Now, I don't have any use for these tools as I'm doing architecture mostly, where precision rather than sculptability is a must, but there must be someone out there who can make these things for lw?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast