Thread: Fast Graph Editor...

Fast Graph Editor...

Hi.

I want Graph Editor to become alot faster. We handle alot of MoCap data and LightWave doesn't make life easy.

I've provided a scene-file with a Null that has 47 bones attached to it. All bones have a key for each frame on all channels (pretty much what we get when transfering MoCap from Motionbuilder). This scene is academic, but it represents what we have to deal with.

What I wan't you guys to to is to load the scene, select all bones, open the new Scene editor, right-click on any bone and select Edit channels. This will open up Graph Editor with all bones and their channels. Now, select all keys and make them TCB-spline instead of Bezier.

As soon as you select all the bones you will experience a tremendous slowdown of LightWave. It will get even worse when you select Edit channels to open up Graph Editor.

If you have Maya avaliable, please, make a similar scene and do similar things and you will notice a huge difference in speed.

NT: Speed-improvements, please....
    Last edited by Cageman; 02-13-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Is it possible, and I'm only asking because I'm not sure of how closely connnected they are under the hood but, that the reason the graph editor is slow is because bones aren't exactly the speediest operation in Lightwave right now? I guesss what I'm saying is that if Newtek makes some good changes to the character animation system in Lightwave like they are proposing, won't that spill over into the graph editor? I'm assuming that one of the things they will imrove is the speed of bones and deformations...

Well, you can take a one polygon plane, animate it, bake the animation and you will see a similar slowdown.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    Is it possible, and I'm only asking because I'm not sure of how closely connnected they are under the hood but, that the reason the graph editor is slow is because bones aren't exactly the speediest operation in Lightwave right now? I guesss what I'm saying is that if Newtek makes some good changes to the character animation system in Lightwave like they are proposing, won't that spill over into the graph editor? I'm assuming that one of the things they will imrove is the speed of bones and deformations...
    No, they are not related. Even a single baked curve can cause massive slowdown if it's more like 1000 keyframes. Some more speed surely wouldn't hurt. In addition LW itself doesn't handle massive keyframe data that well. If you ever tried to bake out FXLinked stuff and then had to work with the scenes, it can really drive you nuts let alone trying to clean up the data in the graph editor.

Mylenium
    [Pour MylŔne, ange sur terre]

Believe it or not the graph editor used to be much slower at one time.
    I agree cageman, this is something NT needs to fix.
    I usually dont use the scene editor to get all the bone channels into the Graph Editor. I just select all the bones, open the GE and hit shift + g which throws every channel of every selected item into the channel bin. If you do it this way youll notice that selecting all the bones occurs very slowly. To speed things up here youll need to turn off show motion paths and show keyframes in the display options panel.
    In the Graph Editor I filter out everything except the scale channels of all items and delete all the keys are frame 0 since you probably dont need them.
    Second I do the same for the translational channels (except for the first bone which is usually used to move the character).
    3rd is to filter the keys on the rotational channels.
    Doing this speeds up the graph editor quite a bit.

I would think some of the slow down has to do with a keyframe being added to channels that do not require a keyframe.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Thats part of it but even after removing all the excess keyframes it can still be a bit slowish.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod
    Doing this speeds up the graph editor quite a bit.
    Thanks for the tips SplineGod!

However, we have done everything you've written. It's ok when having one character in the scene, but we have 5-15 characters, and it get very tedious at best. Ohh...and we shal not talk about offsetting keyframes.. *lol*

THAT is another major slow-down-the-workflow-process....

I wonder if this would be possible?
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64