Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing SpeedEDIT

People went out of their way to use that Falling Sheep DVE.
    It's things like the Sheep Wipe and the Eagle-In-A-Barrel plugin that keep a feller from snapping during those long wee-small-hours crunch times

I like the clip. Silly is good.

I read an interesting article in Autodesk User, er pardon me, 3D World Magazine about SIGGRAPH a few years back, where the writer was gazing sadly at a sign for some 3D toolset or another proclaiming "Tools Not Toys" and reflecting that it's the playfulness and sense of fun that drives really good visual work, and that this is meant to be enjoyable, not just somber effort.

Nice to see that Newtek still has it's party hat on. I'd hate to feel like I needed to wear a suit to do my job
    Last edited by Bog; 11-18-2006 at 06:18 AM.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    You know, I think you nailed it there.

If I thought of what I do as work, I'd probably quit! But since I am self employed, I get to play with some great toys, and people pay me even. I often tell clients that if I didn't enjoy what I do, there's no way I'd do it for the money I make.

Sure, I should probably charge more... but that's a different issue!

Back on topic, though, I love the ability to just play with clips on the timeline or in the storyboard, or to go build an effect in Lightwave (on my VT system) and just see how it looks. Even my little Camera icon was a doodle in Lightwave one evening when nothing was on TV. If you check out my website, I was goofing off, and came up with my new logo in probably half an hour total. Sure, you say, it looks like it. But I had an idea of what I wanted, grabbed some quick shapes and was able to move them around until it looked right. If that was hard, I never would have bothered. But I was having fun.

We gotta keep that kid alive that used to play in the sand box. We took play time pretty serious, we played by our own rules.

NewTek... Keep that party hat on

Carlin
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

If anyone's missed it, it's worth digging the NewTek Revolutions video out of YouTube as well. Any time you start feeling too sane.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Toasting since 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins
    There was a perfectly good Fade crouton RIGHT THERE!

People went out of their way to use that Falling Sheep DVE.

Not our fault
    We recently edited a children's video which teaches kids to speak Spanish, entitled "Fiesta Friends - Mommy Teach Me Spanish".

The woman who produced it insisted that we use the Falling Sheep effect during one transition, so we obliged.
    Last edited by wilebill; 11-20-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Newbie Member
    Video is cool and funny. Just wish they would stop claiming "Resolution independent" and start saying "Resolution independent up to 2K" instead. That seems to be a huge part of their marketing strategy and it's sad it's only a half truth

can't even use my still picture images! I have to knock them down.
    EOS 1
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Draves
    can't even use my still picture images! I have to knock them down.
    EOS 1
    Pete
    I think it was mentioned that source images could be of nay (reasonable, i.e. limited by memory)size, while the output is constrained to a max of 2K.

Cheers,
    Mike

Tried it, no joy at a demo.
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    I think it was mentioned that source images could be of nay (reasonable, i.e. limited by memory)size, while the output is constrained to a max of 2K.

Cheers,
    Mike
    What's the advantage of importing 4k to output it as 2k?
    Besides that, still not resolution independent as claimed. They should really revise this part of their hype.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Maier
    Camera frustum work? Plenty of that around...
    Cheers,
    Mike

Edit: As a side note, what use is 4K is the colour depth is limited anyhow?
    Last edited by Lightwolf; 11-21-2006 at 07:28 AM.

still not resolution independent as claimed. They should really revise this part of their hype.
    They are claiming it to be resolution independent, not capable of editing in unlimited resolution.

Lack of dependence and lack of limits are not the same thing.

SE is resolution independent because it can edit multiple resolutions within the same project, and the resolutions of the clips it uses are not dependent on the resulution of each other or the project.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar

Resolution independence

Besides that, still not resolution independent as claimed. They should really revise this part of their hype.
    Well, the SpeedEDIT features page on our web site clearly explains this:

Resolution Independence
    It doesn’t matter what you want to create, you can output in that resolution. Low-res web streams, standard def, or high def can all be created from the same project file by simply rendering out the desired size.

Note that the above reference does NOT include film res in the description, Mike.

Further on, the feature list gets more specific:

Real-time Up and Down Conversion:
    Edit a project in any resolution, from a 320x240 web stream to 2880x1920 max resolution and then render it out to any resolution, progressive or fielded, that you need. This also gives you the ability to output HD, SD and web-sized versions of the same project.

So, my apologies if you assumed more than was stated, but NewTek has been quite clear that 'resolution independence does not equate to unlimited resolution.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi
    They are claiming it to be resolution independent, not capable of editing in unlimited resolution.

Lack of dependence and lack of limits are not the same thing.
    Well, resolution independent can be understood as no resolution limit as well. This explains why I'm not the only one that thought so.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lara
    Well, the SpeedEDIT features page on our web site clearly explains this:

Resolution Independence
    It doesn’t matter what you want to create, you can output in that resolution. Low-res web streams, standard def, or high def can all be created from the same project file by simply rendering out the desired size.
    See where it started getting confusing? Doesn’t make sense to boost it saying “doesn’t matter what you want to create, you can output in that resolution”, and then set a limit to it. So why instead of saying the above, didn’t you just say what resolutions it does? Numbers never lie.

Note that the above reference does NOT include film res in the description, Mike.
    Well, 4k is not really an official film rez. RED is sure not film, it’s still a high definition camera and it does 4k.

Further on, the feature list gets more specific:

Real-time Up and Down Conversion:
    Edit a project in any resolution, from a 320x240 web stream to 2880x1920 max resolution and then render it out to any resolution, progressive or fielded, that you need. This also gives you the ability to output HD, SD and web-sized versions of the same project.

So, my apologies if you assumed more than was stated, but NewTek has been quite clear that 'resolution independence does not equate to unlimited resolution.
    I didn’t assume more than was stated. NewTek’s wording was confusing and it all got lost on the marketing gloom. As you can around, I’m not the only that misunderstood it. When you say resolution independent, you can’t be disappointed if people don’t understand “Timeline resolution independent” or “format independent”.

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar
    So if someone's independently wealthy, does that mean he has unlimited wealth?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast