Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that you saw SE what did you think?

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    Re: the realtime HDV and DV output for preview... yipee

Anyone who can confirm, this is going to just kill me... I have a Sony DVMC-DA1 that does DV in and DV out, I use it with Premiere 6.0 to preview my edits on my TV, etc. That should still work with SE for DV right?

Just strikes me as funny, because I almost sold it when I first got my VT2, and then had to dig it out a couple of times when I sent the VT2 back to the mothership for some quality time. Just going to be sweet if I can use it with SE now.

Also cool to hear that SE can read time codes in DV and HDV clips.

Not excited about the wait since June, but feeling better about getting to use it soon!
    Carlin
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

Yep, the one next to my desk works just fine with SE.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

If your moving to other formats would that open up the possibility to get it to work with standard audio plugins and fx plugins that I hear are standard in the other editors?
    If its free then it wont cost anything, right?

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    Thanks John, Whew!
    And to think I almost sold that little guy a couple of years ago!
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

Output has defielded, fielded and one field modes
    Does that mean that you can edit 24P files on the timeline?

HDV and DV are the same datarate, so disk space/disk bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.
    The datarates that these formats have are very close to the Sony XDCAM HD cameras, so will they be supported?

Last but not least, there has not been much said about the CG. I assume that it will be similar to what is in the VT4.6 platform or is it a new flavor? Would there be any plans to use a 3rd party CG program such as Boris to be used as a plugin? Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrusin
    I know two entry-level editors who've been very frustrated with Pinnacle, etc. because of inflexibility and instability (one bought a Dell "all set up for video editing"; nothing works right and support is useless). SE is a bit above their price range but if it's as good as it sounds I'm hoping I can sell them on it.
    Make that 3!!! I use Pinnacle Studio Plus v10.7, now, and I've been very disappointed with the stability of it. You think that things would get better with all of the updates that they've done to it. I know it's lower end stuff, but you go with what you can afford. All of the bells and whistles on it looked cool at the time, but if the chain comes off every time you try to pedal it down the road, all of the bells and whistles are useless garbage.

That's why SE could be of interest to me, but it has to be priced right, and it has to work right, and be stable. I don't want to by any more software, until I can see it and taste it for myself first, and I'm 4 hours away from the closest "launch" party.

tHREEL

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Chesbro
    If your moving to other formats would that open up the possibility to get it to work with standard audio plugins and fx plugins that I hear are standard in the other editors?
    ?
    If its free then it wont cost anything, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Videonut
    Does that mean that you can edit 24P files on the timeline?
    Yes, but it's smart enough to show progressive even in a fielded output window. There is more to a progressive project than just showing it, lots of details in the rendering.

The datarates that these formats have are very close to the Sony XDCAM HD cameras, so will they be supported?
    Not initially (1.0), but that is planned.

Last but not least, there has not been much said about the CG. I assume that it will be similar to what is in the VT4.6 platform or is it a new flavor? Would there be any plans to use a 3rd party CG program such as Boris to be used as a plugin? Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
    Similar to 4.6

That's really up to Boris, not us.

You can import files with alpha that the stand alone Boris exports though.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Newbie Member
    It's not clear to me that SE will handle the P2 HD from the Panasonic AGHVX200.Will it?

Quote Originally Posted by vtlipera
    It's not clear to me that SE will handle the P2 HD from the Panasonic AGHVX200.Will it?
    Unfortunately NO. Not in 1.0. I am told it will be soon to come. What does "soon" mean????

This is really too bad since there are a lot of people with this camera and renting it that are asking for an option other then FCP, AVID or EDIUS.
    This would have immediately exposed SE to a totally different market other then current VT owners.
    I do however understand that you gotta get a product out to make revenue to further develop that product.

So as much as this hurt my situation, I'm giving NewTek a pass. But only for a little longer!
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Same with XDCAM HD support.

But SpeedEDIT is a 1.0, it can't do everything initially.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins
    As long as it is, that's still pretty incomplete.

It's got a ton of features, so it's hard to list.

I've been on SE for a while now, so I hope I don't take anything for granted...

VT owners will notice:

New Output window - Keeps correct aspect ratio, no more stretching. Should also not have tearing due to monitor refresh.
    Output has selectable 25, 50, 100, 200% modes for pixel exact previews
    Output has defielded, fielded and one field modes
    Output has selectable action safe, title safe and center cross markings.
    Realtime 1394 DV and HDV preview - pass through your HDV camera/deck to an HD monitor. A NewTek first
    3 wheel color correction
    4 selective color correctors
    Color correctors can use adjustable waveform monitors or vectorscopes, not just colorwheels - grab the vectorscope itself and make it look right
    Voice over - record audio directly into the timeline while playing the project
    Seamless import/export of many Quicktime formats - For instance, DV and DVCPro50 FCP clips can be used as easily as DV AVIs.
    DV Print to tape from the timeline
    Send to tape from filebins - Select a clip, sned directly to DV or HDV
    MPEG is both an input and output format
    SpeedHQ codec - A lot like NT25 with an alpha channel, plus speed and quality improvements
    Ease In/Ease Out for splines in the control tree
    User definable project presets - If you edit at 1024x768, 16:10, 60fps, etc. you can make your own preset
    Rendering presets - Most common ones are already created, but you can load and save your own. No more setting each parameter for every render.
    True aspect ratio support - auto-selects the correct aspect ratio so that you can mix and match clips without adjusting every one by hand.
    Reads timecode from clips that support it, such as DV and HDV. Even if you didn't capture it in SE.
    You can now render a single still of the current timeline position
    Capture can autochop based on the timecode
    Background rendering is improved and smarter - no more cryptic preferences
    Background rendering progress indicators, both for the overall project and per clip so that you know which areas need to render and what the status is

Like I said, there are a LOT of changes and I'm sure that I'm taking many for granted. This was just off the top of my head.

There are a lot of workflow changes will make a big difference in use, but don't come across as features. After using SE, you will notice that there were nagging things in VT that you probably didn't realize could be improved.
    The list looks really good.
    Will I be able to export my HDV project as a TGA sequence?
    How about Uncompressed HD editing capabilities.
    Is there a decent titling tool?
    How about audio? Any word on the audio capabilities? Is 5.1 supported?
    I'm hoping this thing will be actually good. I have been waiting for the longest time for a PC application that can rival FCP. Every new NLE that came upon us got me excited and hoping it would the FCP of the Windows world but I got disappointed. I hope SE will at least be more than the others were.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Maier
    The list looks really good.
    Will I be able to export my HDV project as a TGA sequence?
    How about Uncompressed HD editing capabilities.
    Is there a decent titling tool?
    How about audio? Any word on the audio capabilities? Is 5.1 supported?
    I'm hoping this thing will be actually good. I have been waiting for the longest time for a PC application that can rival FCP. Every new NLE that came upon us got me excited and hoping it would the FCP of the Windows world but I got disappointed. I hope SE will at least be more than the others were.

I would hope that you woud have tried Adobe Premiere Pro, it's FCP for PC. The biggest thing in the two is LIVE TYPE, but since I am an original owner of INDIA TITLER PRO 1.0; I have the same capabilities in PPRo as FCP users have. If fact since I put bootcamp on my Mac, I've only used FCP once or twice in the last three months. I loaded my Adobe Production Studio on my Mac. Aside of using VT4; FCP is something I go to every once in a while. So don't under-estimate Premiere Pro, it's always a click away.

I attended the SF event, there were about 15people there. It seemed most were already owners of VT, with a couple that were not.

I think i learned more from other owners as to how they use their current VT4 setup than what SE does that VT4.6 doesn't (other than the HD ability and some cool toolshed motion removal process.)

I think for new users it may be a great buy, but for us existing VT4.x owners it seems we are already using the fastest editor, and if we dont need HD then there doesnt seem to be a reason to upgrade.

I am sure that is not the case, but that is what I got out of that presentation.

I think future presentations should show what is new for existing users, get them excited and then the new users will be excited to jump in the wagon.

Which reminds me, will there be a fix for vt4.x users to use QT7?

Thanks for the cool tshirt though.
    Last edited by inquisitive; 11-20-2006 at 09:04 PM.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Well, but I think you need to realize that SpeedEDIT has to be marketed mainly at new users if Newtek is gonna make real money on it.

Users of VT[4] are spoiled by what we already have in VT-EDIT, so being that SpeedEDIT is a stand-alone version of VT-EDIT with new features, it's not like there are going to be that many killer features for existing VT-EDIT users. Remember how VT users kept clamoring for a stand-alone version of VT-EDIT that could be used on a laptop? Well, here it is.

And remember the poll in the Spring? The number one feature request, by a large margin, was resolution and frame rate independance, and that's what SpeedEDIT has.

I'm also quite happy for little things like independant L/R audio waveforms!

BTW, this is the second place I've read people commenting on the toolshed motion removal process... Well... That's been there since VT[4]. Nothing new about that.

As for the QT 7 fix, that's a VT hardware driver issue, so I would expect that to be fixed in VT[5]. SpeedEDIT doesn't use the VT hardware, so it's not connected to that fix.

As for SpeedEDIT being the FCP of Windows, I think it's a bit early for that assessment. Again, this is a 1.0 product, remember. But I bet it will be much faster than FCP for bread and butter work in DV and HDV.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast