Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that you saw SE what did you think?

Now that you saw SE what did you think?

I attended the Chicago show. But wanted to know
    what you tought?
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Bob,

With all due respect, and I know you've coded some killer plugins for the toaster ... but ...

SPILL IT!

Cordially,

Dillon Thomas
    Last edited by Dillon; 11-14-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Nobodies talkin' Bob, so what did you think?

Frankly, I don't get the silence.

Keith
    Keith Nealy Productions
    Big Island, Hawaii

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar
    I find it disturbing. (the silence that is)
    Last edited by cholo; 11-15-2006 at 02:35 AM.

Look I hang with this all the time. My life and my buis kind of depends on
    this thing. So I want to hear what others that went or watched have to
    say. If no one answers I will chime in tonight. On my way to work.
    I think they will have an online stream of the show today. Not sure though.

Bob
    Last edited by Bobt; 11-15-2006 at 05:01 AM.
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Toaster Oven
    Well Bob, the fact NO ONE has posted a SINGLE THING about the SpeedEdit launch tells me that it really is not worth talking about. If I was you, I'd start looking for other ways to make money.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Since it is still at that stage, maybe by viewing the product they became honorary Beta members and are now bound by the NDA...?

Or maybe it's just that not that many seasoned VT user/forums readers went.

I don't remember seeing many, if any, posts ie "I'm going to the Launch, who else is?"

I didn't go, i planned on the LA show but flaked out.

I saw it at NAB, i want to use it not look at it!

I would watch from a stream tho.

I would also like to say i pre purchased a long long time ago.

As per everyone winning on the board, Call newtek back i am sure they will refund you.

If you didn't pay them then just SHUT UP AND wait like the rest of US.
    I say this with all the love in the world and wanting speededit/vt5 just like u.

This is one Fact i know "IT WILL COME OUT WHEN IT COMES OUT".
    Peace Love and Respect ALI G

In conclusion i don't think anyone went!

Like Master Yoda Eugen Said it was a launch not a release.

PS Bob am i going to be able to take my plug-in suite of yours to speededit?
    [B]VT4LIFE[/B]

OK, so I used the word "release" rather than "launch." But, one would assume that they would not launch if they were not ready to release, otherwise they could have gone ahead with the "launch" that was scheduled in October. Like you say, I want to use the product, not look at it! The reason they postponed the October launch, is because the product was not ready! I think that launch and release are essentially the same thing. Now, maybe it didn't start shipping yesterday, but if they don't start shipping in the next week or so I will be shocked.

Ahead of the "curve"
    We hosted the Chicago event and SpeedEDIT looks like all they've been promising. Everyone who purchased it last night could not believe how much faster the editing process is compared to the software they have been using (which shall remain nameless).

I think SE is going to be HUGE, and as typical of NewTek, will transform the way people do things. But - NT needs to keep PUSHING it, don't let up once it's released. Keep the cheerleaders cheering, keep the band playing, keep advertising... and put a downloadable DEMO on the website!!!!
    Tiffani Banaszak
    Safe Harbor Computers
    www.sharbor.com

I noticed that NT is not revealing enough information about multiple formats being compatible. I posted twice about SE accept using .mxf from P2 using DVCPRO HD. No one from NT or anyone could verify it. Hope someone saw the list during the launch party!

I suspect most of those who attended already have a VT system and are already familiar with the prior release of SpeedEdit (VT-Edit). Much of the wow factors of SpeedEdit are its speed, flexibility, and ability to use a timeline and storyboard simultaneously. Well, we are already used to that so I am guessing that's why there's not a lot of hoopla.

I'd be more interested in what a non-VT users opinion would be.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

I went to the LA demonstration and found a small turnout there. The room was quite small compared to most Newtek show standards. There were approx 30 people. The DV expo was held that day a few miles away and I guess I was expecting to see more people.
    The Product was quick and basically what has been advertised. The layout reminds me a bit like the Tricaster pro edit page. The editor is much more robust than Tricaster don't get me wrong.
    As a long time user of VT systems there was really nothing suprising or new! The speed that they advertise is basically the ability to drop any standard (NTSC, PAL) at any resolution and edit realtime (with background rendering) and that is no small feet. This can be done on many packages that edit and are shipping but rendering is not a background or realtime option for them. Of course Newtek has been able to mix many types of standard video on the timeline for ages now. I took a Tricaster Pro and dropped HDV material on the timeline and it was usable mixed against the SD material that was already there in real time and that product is already shipping
    The tool shed seems to have a few additions but I keep waiting for more ! I keep thinking of how Aussi added so much to the original Toaster, it just does not seem like that side is making much headway.
    Audio is said to be able to handle 5:1 surround. I missed that part of the demo or something. All I saw was the standard 4 channel audio meters on the interface. They showed off the same basic audio filtering as VT has. When can we use all the Direct X plugs that make other packages soo appealing.
    For those with Tricasters I really think you should line up to add this to your editing arsenal. I know evertime I have to edit on a Tricaster I miss some of the more basic tools from my VT systems.
    Response at the show was up but not a slam dunk. Slow ship date, no batch capture in initial release, no heavy audio tools, integration of the CG seemed lacking to me ( too much like the Tricaster ) The VT version of CG is not perfect but somehow it seemed more powerful as an integrated separately run program with easily viewed templates. Since no Aura is included in SpeedEDIT a more robust CG is really needed. There are too many other really good CG packages on Mac based machines that really draw editors into using less realtime packages.
    One guy at the show kept asking - "will SpeedEDIT up-res SD video on output?" No! Speed EDIT output at the Res you set the project at. If material is smaller than the Res of the product ( HD Project with some SD material ) the SD material will show as letter boxed. Lots Project Resolutions available and lots of Output Resolutions available to render to.
    What are Newteks plans for Vista support or will Linux ever be an option ?
    As far as SpeedEDIT will there ever be a Mac version ?
    Good Product for Noobs and small studios. I do not see this landing in the major studios must have product lists.
    Not much of a review but then again I don't write for a living (good thing Huh)

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar
    I know two entry-level editors who've been very frustrated with Pinnacle, etc. because of inflexibility and instability (one bought a Dell "all set up for video editing"; nothing works right and support is useless). SE is a bit above their price range but if it's as good as it sounds I'm hoping I can sell them on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jedbarish
    I noticed that NT is not revealing enough information about multiple formats being compatible. I posted twice about SE accept using .mxf from P2 using DVCPRO HD. No one from NT or anyone could verify it. Hope someone saw the list during the launch party!
    It's a long complex list, but you are right, we do need to compile the list.

DVCPro50 is included for avi, mov and raw formats in SE 1.0. MXF and DVCProHD won't be in 1.0, but they are pretty far along in development.

They will be included in a future release, but I'm not in marketing, so I'm not sure how licensing of the codecs will be handled, i.e. paid upgrade, codec pack, etc.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast