Thread: Speed Edit Release Event.....

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    Now that's Funny...
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar
    I think the root of the problem isn't the missed summer deadline. The real concern for many is that Speededit is not a few weeks late, but rather a few years late. How long has HDV been around? The JVC GR-HD1U debuted in 2003! I know it was way too early back then, but the future was clear. Then enter the sony FX1/Z1 in 2004, the first widely accepted professional HDV camera. NLE manufacturers started scrambling to add HDV support and meanwhile NewTek kept a see no evil stance. 2 years passed (!) and finally it was announced at NAB we were getting HD support with VT5 and SpeedEdit. Many were considering jumping ship by then (I know I was) because HD had long since become an affordable means of production, there were many flavors of cameras from lots of different manufacturers, and even if HD delivery is not mandatory yet for most, the extra quality HD represents even for SD production was too good to pass. But SpeedEdit caught us by surprise and we (at least I) decided it was worth waiting "little" longer. How long? Until summer. Early? Late? Who knows. Some speculated early summer and the pessimists predicted late. I know I've been wrangling my HDV material around with HDV split, virtualdub, HDTVtoMPEG2 and whatnot. Awkward workflows, intense rendering, hours lost. I wanted to start taking advantage of all those extra pixels right away, and after all it was a temporary solution until SE arrived. And then summer came and went and there was nay a word from the Mothership. The VT forums were quieter than I've ever seen them. Then an announcement... Launch programmed for the end of september. WHEW! No more transcoding, hooray!... Oops! No wait, cancelled until further notice. What? So we wait... and we wait... Nov 14th is finally announced. At first, it is hinted by some that copies will be sold at the event. After all, it is only natural to assume this because the software has already been demoed and announced at NAB, so what else could a "Launch" mean right? Wrong! We're told it's not going to be ready, but there's lots of new features so that should make up for it, right? But then the event comes and for the first 48 or so hours after the event, none of those who attended seems to have anything good to say about it. And as of today, roughly 3 years and 6 months after the first HDV cameras started shipping we still have no set date for delivery. That's the kind of frustration that has driven people like me to post such negative thoughts. But on the bright side of things, NewTek's team's presence on the boards these past few hours, along with the new SpeedEdit forums, have really given me some peace of mind. I now feel like things are moving along and the hope of being close to delivery has been restored. I see much needed activity back at the boards and I get excited about it again. Sometimes, gestures as simple as a reminder that we're not the only ones burning the midnight oil help us bear through times as difficult as these last 2 months of uncertainty and doubt. I just hope it arrives before my trial of Vegas 7 expires because I now know I will not be buying it

We understand your frustration, but there was really nothing we could do that made more sense. The delay HAS produced a better product because of input from the beta users and extended testing.

One reason that I've been so quiet is because I haven't been able to stop working on SE long enough to sleep, much less post.

When those little yellow guys stop being plastered all over the forums, know that there is a LOT of stuff going on behind the scenes

Thanks for sticking with us!
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Toaster Oven
    John, one thing that could have been done would be to post an update message ~ Something to indicate that things are progressing, perhaps slower than desired, changes are being made and some of the features you will see as soon as we can finalize are xxx.

I must be real patient, because as much as I am dying to get SE, I have no problem waiting. I saw the launch and I was impressed with all of the formats that can be mixed and matched in a single project. I loved the new DVD output options (no more third party TMPGEnc)! The speed was great (no waiting to render).

I still have my 4.6 and can work with it. And I pre-paid, which means that SE is free. As for having to edit HD, Newtek really isnt that late, because before DH DVD and Blu Ray, there was almost no ways to deliver you HD anyway back in 2004 and 2005.

I say hang in there. It will be worth the wait. Dont worry that none of us left the launch jumping for joy. Maybe it is because we pretty much know what to expect and we saw it. The features are someone transparent to the user. I am glad it does HD, Quicktime, etc, plus no Toaster card is needed. And it is only $595. That is not asking much for what it can do. Be patient. I surely dont sit around looking at the clock for MS Office 2008 to be released. I use Office 2003 til it is. SE is in Beta but it's close to release. I dont blame NT for making sure it is stable. And from what I hear, it works under Vista too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R
    . And it is only $595. That is not asking much for what it can do.
    That would be $495 and cheaper than that through online retailers
    Kevin Washington

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R
    I loved the new DVD output options (no more third party TMPGEnc)!
    Well, I think it's great that it can render to many outputs natively, but I certainly wouldn't say "no more third-party TMPGEnc" at this point.

Until independant comparisons are made, we have no idea on true quality and speed and configurabilty, not only for TMPGEnc, but also WME 9 and QT 7 Pro, compared to SpeedEDIT's encoder.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by KSTAR
    That would be $495 and cheaper than that through online retailers
    I was under the impression that $495 was the launch price. The flyer I got in NY said the $495 price expired on 11/17/06.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    Well, I think it's great that it can render to many outputs natively, but I certainly wouldn't say "no more third-party TMPGEnc" at this point.
    I just meant that TMPGEnc would not be needed anymore. I do not like performing extra steps and, that is what has to be done with TMPGEnc. For all I know, it is the only encoder that recognizes RTV files. I would be much happier going straight from the timeline to DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by cholo
    I think the root of the problem isn't the missed summer deadline. The real concern for many is that Speededit is not a few weeks late, but rather a few years late.
    You nailed my thoughts exactly. I am hanging on to see what SE has to offer. I really don't want to find another editing program.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    If I was continually losing money, having to turn down gigs, or causing myself hours of wasted time jumping thru hoops and rendering because I didn't want to change programs.... I would change programs.

Maybe that's just me.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim_C; 11-18-2006 at 10:31 AM.

If I was continually working with 2K images, having to color correct 10 bit and higher footage, or causing myself headaches because I need an EDL exported... I would change programs.

But VT and SE for SD and HD would remain my best friends.

Maybe that's just me.

Steve

Jim

You have a good point there. Some of us on the various lists are looking at NLE systems from a religeous zealot frame of mind. Like the OS wars that pop up so often. Sheesh. I like how several have pointed out on the VTNT and other places... Its just a tool. If the tool works, great. I know before I got my VT, I had a work flow that involved Paint Shop Pro (for titles), AE for motion effects and compositing, Premiere 6 as my editor, Media Studio for other editing (it had 1 or 2 effects I thought were cool), TMPG for encoding and DVD Authoring, and probably a bag of chicken bones for good luck. At the time I was using 5 or 6 computers, with some of the programs loaded on 2 or 3 different computers. I could capture on one, network the files over, render my out put to the 3rd computer, let the MPEG encode over night, and start on the next project. If I had a Mac, I'd be all over things like Motion. And some times when I get bored I'll load Linux on a spare computer, just to watch it install. I used to be a tech / MCSE. But when it comes right down to it, We're here to make cool video. The customer could care less what program it was cut on.

I was watching that Revolution video on YouTube yesterday... ****, I felt myself wanting to go buy one of those I almost forgot what I could do now with so much less hardware (no VCRs, etc) You guys who used the original Toasters Rocked!

So yeah, if a better tool comes along, and you can get a job done faster, or do something really great with it, fine. But being loyal to someone like NewTek is good too.

There are times I start to think that the Software as a Service people might have something there. How cool would it to be to download a program, pay a small fee to licence it for 2 or 3 weeks, and then dump it when you're done? I mean, I'd buy my main programs, but to do some special FX now and then... say something maybe even simple, like there were people asking about a second seat of SE for occasional use. Granted, its only a $500 program, so not a huge deal. But if I could put it on a second laptop for $50 and use it for a month, that might be tempting. Use the laptop for live capture of a show, etc. Or to use Lightwave for a short project, to have an extra 5 modelers working on a 2 month project.

Ok, maybe I should grab some lunch, I must be hungry...

Carlin
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com

Quick follow up:
    I think the Software as a Service makes a bit more sense if you think of it like renting a car. Even if you have a car, maybe you need to rent a van one weekend, or a little sports car to drive over the mountains for a weekend, instead of driving your work van. Or like how the smart video guys are renting a really good camera package for a big job, instead of shooting it with maybe some older gear they have. And, in the end, its just an idea. Maybe someone things its a good one. If not, hey, no big deal.
    Lunch time
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com

Quote Originally Posted by evexon
    If I was continually working with 2K images, having to color correct 10 bit and higher footage, or causing myself headaches because I need an EDL exported... I would change programs.

But VT and SE for SD and HD would remain my best friends.

Maybe that's just me.

Steve
    SpeedEDIT can handle multilayered 2k projects in realtime on my year and a half old system and import and export EDLs.

It's video-centric and YUV through the whole pipeline. It actually uses 16bit floating point YUV in critical parts of the image processing. Never lower than 8bit YUV, which has a larger range of colors than 8bit RGB can display.

For any format that we can work with, the color range is more than sufficient.

Yep, it'll be your best friend
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast