Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Edit Release Event.....

Quote Originally Posted by cholo
    With all due respect, we were promised a VT5 shipping date of "summer".
    I don't remember having ever heard that VT 5 would ship at the end of summer. What NewTek originally said was that SpeeEDIT would be released at the end of summer and that VT 5 would be out shortly thereafter. And what they said was that those dates were the plan. They never promised anything.
    Chuck Dotson
    visual concept productions

You know what was great about the launch events? It was not just die hard NewTek customers that showed up in fact at the Miami event more than half were not NewTek customers. I had people from Haiti, Honduras and puero rico fly in for the event.

The guys from honduras were all set to buy a few matrox systems and freaked when he saw SE and now is getting 3 systems built for SE. He was asking me what video card he needs. . . . .lol. . . .I said a 1394 card as they do everything in DV.

The woman from a haitian TV station told me if I ever do a demo in miami, to email her and she will fly up. I may actually do a demo in the Dominican Republic and she would be able to drive to that.

Bottom line is all attendees were blown away by SE. I demoed mostly the stuff that makes SE different and faster, the NewTek editing paradigm vs the more linear paradigm most NLEs have.

Also some selective color correction, image stabilization and layering of SD and HD footage in the same project.

Quote Originally Posted by wvp
    Speaking totally serious here...
    If Newtek "launched" SpeedEdit lastnight it must not be a very good product. I have not found ONE person who has said ONE thing about the launch - this includes Newtek people.
    Unfortunately I got suckered into pre purchasing, have heard all the hype about, and now that the product has been officially "launched" no one can say anything about it.
    Newtek, you guys need to hire a new marketing person.

Newbie Member
    Was this a press event or a launch event? Is speededit now shipping?

It was a launch event. Shipping is coming soon!

No Comparison

I attended the one in LA. It was pretty much the same presentation as they gave last summer in Phoenix.

My biggest dissapointment was that the presentation was geared toward new customers who have never used VT before. Very little information was given to compare Speed Edit with the current VT4 edit. I really wanted to find out what was new. The only thing I saw or heard was about it being able to handle multple formats. I knew that! I am still not sure if it is worth getting compared to VT5.

There was also too much sales pitch for 3D Arsenal. That was not what I came from Arizona to hear about.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    My biggest dissapointment was that the presentation was geared toward new customers who have never used VT before. Very little information was given to compare Speed Edit with the current VT4 edit.
    You can look over a detailed list of SpeedEDIT features to judge for yourself, Curtis.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Quote Originally Posted by cholo
    I find it sad to admit this, but if I treated my deadlines the way NewTek has gotten used to lately, I would be out of a job by now, despite the high quality of my productions.
    I can't let this slip by without saying that NewTek rolled their delivery deadline back with significant reluctance, and did so almost entirely (TTBOMK) as a result of a decision to honor a plethora of requests for added features for the initial release.

They did not arrive at this decision lightly, and the overall reaction when the postponement was announced about 2 months back was appreciation.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar
    I can only speak for myself. I would have preferred to start using SE a few months ago and wait for a point whatever version to add the extra features instead. I don't say things like I did in my post above just to be negative or critical. I say it as a concerned customer who absolutely loves the products this particular company creates, who believes in the dev team enough to preorder the product sight unseen, hoping my comments will help address potential weaknessess to ensure the success of a company and product which are in my best interest to succeed. I have tried competing products and I don't want to be stuck having to use them because NewTek failed in a very tough market against lesser products. I also think the rapidly growing HD market will eventually hit critical mass and timing is very important for market penetration. I'm sorry, but I can't applaud delays for a product that is just entering a market where the competition is already at second generation and becoming widely adopted. This is my perception of things. I hope my ranting doesn't go unnoticed by the SE team and helps push things forward.

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    Actually, I am another user of VT that wouldn't have minded getting a "prerelease" version of SE a few months ago. Especially since I paid for my VT upgrade back in June or when ever it was. I know that eventually (soon now right?) that I'll get my real version of SE. But wow, that would have been cool to get some of the developement versions sooner. I've tested other programs that I knew were beta, so you go in knowing its not quite ready.

And like also posted, here and other places like the VTNT list, which way to you go, wait till its all ready, or get something out there and then fix it in the next release? Either way, people gripe...

Keepin' the faith...
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle-HotShot
    Either way, people gripe...
    Yup, it's a tough call. But as Steve said, there was concern that a new product with too few features would have been met with a "Pass on that product" impression.
    I'm sure it will still be picked on by many for what it doesn't have though.

Cholo, I can understand your side and you said it well. But there is always that balance to meet. NewTek probably got it close on this one though IMHO.

Soon we'll see what the general public feels.

By the way, it's not already a couple months late is it?
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

These are demo events not training seminars and as such one would hope most of the attendees were new to NewTek products. That is the idea of doing product demos. . . to get people to see your products.

I for one am very happy to see a bunch of new users turn up at these tour and launch events. I am more than happy to meet loyal VT and NT customers and hang around to answer their questions as best I can. . . .but you have to remember these are sales and marketing events.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    I attended the one in LA. It was pretty much the same presentation as they gave last summer in Phoenix.

My biggest dissapointment was that the presentation was geared toward new customers who have never used VT before. Very little information was given to compare Speed Edit with the current VT4 edit. I really wanted to find out what was new. The only thing I saw or heard was about it being able to handle multple formats. I knew that! I am still not sure if it is worth getting compared to VT5.

There was also too much sales pitch for 3D Arsenal. That was not what I came from Arizona to hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    NewTek probably got it close on this one though IMHO.
    The other thing that was a frequent chorus was that the first version out the door should be rock solid, as first impressions are going to be important. SE is very stable.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Of course, there is beta and then there is beta... It's really silly to speculate how good it may have been early or how much of a dog it may have been...

Having beta tested other products in the past, I can tell you that a lot of products aren't ready at all till their real release. The thought that a product in beta is better than nothing simply isn't often the case. Not to mention the tech support nightmare for Newtek in such a situation. And more importantly the press review reaction.

And as has been pointed out, if it was something with much less features than expected, it could turn off the public to it for good.

For instance, I've heard a number of people in other forums say they have been burned by 1.0 products before and would NEVER touch a 1.0 product again. SE 1.0 has got to be perfectly stable, and decently reviewed, if it is going to have a chance in the marketplace it is entering.

In all the betaing I've ever done, I can honestly say that most of the beta products weren't of benefit to me till they were ready to ship.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by wvp
    Speaking totally serious here...
    If Newtek "launched" SpeedEdit lastnight it must not be a very good product. I have not found ONE person who has said ONE thing about the launch - this includes Newtek people.
    Unfortunately I got suckered into pre purchasing, have heard all the hype about, and now that the product has been officially "launched" no one can say anything about it.
    Newtek, you guys need to hire a new marketing person.
    Warning from the wise, never pre-order anything from NewTek they always miss their release date and you could always use that capital for something else just in case. LW 9 was a good 6 months off from their original December Release schedule. 9 wasn't the only time this has happened.

I was kind of disappointed that NewTek said at SIGGRAPH that it would be a Summer Release and here we are 3 days after the suppose launch and still no SpeedEdit. NewTek needs to learn from the past that announcing something and not delivering is not only bad press but also puts a sour taste in potential customers. As I posted somewhere else NewTek Sales told me they probably will not ship until after Thanksgiving. They gave an excuse about the software boxes were not in yet.
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    I heard it is going to be Christmas shipping because Paul is hand coloring all of the box artwork with dull Crayon's.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast