Thread: Dragging points in v9 subpatch mode

Dragging points in v9 subpatch mode

I've tried searching for this topic but couldn't find any references to it. I'm probably missing something, but in modeler v9 I can only drag a point using the control cage of an object in subpatch mode. I have to switch modes to get access to the points on the mesh. I prefer to model in subpatch mode and sometimes the points of the cage are buried in the geometry.

I am having to model in version 8.5 at the moment because I can't work without being able to access both cage and mesh in subpatch mode.

Help please. I've probably left some box unchecked.

If that's the case you aren't in "subpatch mode", you are in catmull-clark mode. In LW9 you can choose which subdivision algorithm/type should be used when tab is pressed. So just change the subd type and hit tab twice (off and back on again).

Proton did a video about this if you want a demonstration.
    Last edited by evenflcw; 11-09-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evenflcw
    If that's the case you aren't in "subpatch mode", you are in catmull-clark mode. In LW9 you can choose which subdivision algorithm/type should be used when tab is pressed. So just change the subd type and hit tab twice (off and back on again).

Proton did a video about this if you want a demonstration.
    Thanks for the reply evenflcw and sorry I wasn't very clear. I created a character in Catmull-Cark mode in the same way I worked with subpatch mode in the previous versions. I can't get my modeling head around the other lumpy bumpy looking subpatch mode yet. But like with the 'new' subpatch mode, I want to be able to drag on points on both the mesh and cage in cc mode.

I'll check out the demonstration you suggested.
    Last edited by mythek1; 11-09-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Sorry, I'm the one who wasn't clear. The phantom-points-feature which you find so convenient for subpatches simply isn't there yet for catmull-clark subds.

Quote Originally Posted by evenflcw
    Sorry, I'm the one who wasn't clear. The phantom-points-feature which you find so convenient for subpatches simply isn't there yet for catmull-clark subds.
    That's what I needed to know thanks.