Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sasquatch 1.8

sasquatch 1.8

it´s out, go and get it

Unless you're on a Mac. 1 CPU is plenty for us...

If all W was going to say was f**k U, why wait?

MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 2.66 GHZ • 8 GB • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M • OSX 10.10.4 / Win 7
    Mac Pro Intel Xeon 6 Core 3.3 GHZ • 48 GB • NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 2x27" • OSX 10.10.4 / Win 10

Heffalump
    Well I'm so surprised, you could knock me down with a feather </sarcasm> The 10th update in 6 years that doesn't make any effort to provide raytracing support. Says it all.
    Inactive.

When you have a monopoly you can do what you want.
    WHat are you going to do? Stop using sasquatch and write your own hair and fur plugin?
    Last edited by oDDity; 09-20-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by oDDity
    When you have a monopoly you can do what you want.
    WHat are you going to do? Stop using sasquatch and write your own hair and fur plugin?
    Well, I'm not going to support the vendor until they raise their game, for starters. After 6 years, any well of hope for Worley to advance Sasquatch has largely run dry. They appear to have become lazy and/or arrogant and I don't feel inclined to reward that, especially given such a large price tag and when the current rate of progress suggests no sign of raytrace support coming any time soon.

I'm meanwhile very willing to hand over cold, hard cash to any brave developer who does deliver a full, capable end-to-end hair solution, including Worley should they receive a swift kick to sensitive areas. I doubt I'm alone. The reappearance of Fiber Factory gives me some hope for change, and there's always hope that there is a maverick coder out there who will give us something to do for hair the equivalent of what Dynamite has done for volumetrics in LW.

Meanwhile, there's not much more to be done than bemoan the current situation and hope that this provides developers with sufficient incentive to try and pull some code together and to bring their works to market. Squeaky wheel approach
    Inactive.

Kinda harsh, don't you think? I mean Worley's releases has been pretty much on par with what most people have expected. yeah sure, we'd all luv a more advanced fur shader, but besides the recent fiberfactory anouncement, is there any other plug-in that does what sasquatch does? I'd be more worried about that.
    The fact that stuff like this is considered "niche" so that development is at its current pace.

I mean which developer can afford to create an "and to end" hair solution for LW? Especially with the transitory state of LW's SDK? Looks like you need to criticise NT before you criticise Worley....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Well, I'm not going to support the vendor until they raise their game, for starters. After 6 years, any well of hope for Worley to advance Sasquatch has largely run dry. They appear to have become lazy and/or arrogant and I don't feel inclined to reward that, especially given such a large price tag and when the current rate of progress suggests no sign of raytrace support coming any time soon.

I'm meanwhile very willing to hand over cold, hard cash to any brave developer who does deliver a full, capable end-to-end hair solution, including Worley should they receive a swift kick to sensitive areas. I doubt I'm alone. The reappearance of Fiber Factory gives me some hope for change, and there's always hope that there is a maverick coder out there who will give us something to do for hair the equivalent of what Dynamite has done for volumetrics in LW.

Meanwhile, there's not much more to be done than bemoan the current situation and hope that this provides developers with sufficient incentive to try and pull some code together and to bring their works to market. Squeaky wheel approach

Heffalump
    Harsh? 6 *years* with the price firmly set at near enough $500 and we still have no styling tool and no raytrace support (even via a shader hack, something that Steamer used in 1998; it should be conceivable to at least get this in Sasquatch in 2006).

Casting around for LW alternatives, we have Fiber Factory 4 which has a styling tool and raytrace support. It does have a few rough edges, granted, but at half the price, and with a renewed and seemingly passionate developer behind it, I'm more than tempted to take a look. In the absence of Joe Alter, it's the only alternative. Depressing, but then there aren't that many alternatives on other platforms, to my knowledge. Most of them seem to use Joe's implementation for hair (XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D, Max).

As an aside, check Joe's price list. A license of Shave for Maya right now will cost you the same as Sasquatch for LW. Compare the feature sets; they've both been around for the same period of time. It really does speak for itself. It's that kind of developer I'm much more inclined to support with my cash.

Part of the reason for my frustration is that Worley must know that they have the market largely sown up for hair and fur on LW, hence the lack of price movement and the seemingly glacial pace of development. Despite this happy state of affairs for them, 6 years later we are seeing only incremental updates and being asked to continue to ignore the great big gaping holes in the featureset. With a $500 price tag, I'd expect a little more commitment to the product.

This doesn't detract from the quality of the other products he has - FPrime, G2, Taft and Polk. Of these, only FPrime seems to be incomplete; largely due to the LW SDK limitations, it seems. I'd recommend any of those to anyone who might find them useful. I am, though, still disappointed by the state of Sasquatch. Until Worley raises his game to provide much more substantial and frequent updates to Sasquatch, it's hard to recommend except on the basis that it is currently the only real option.
    Inactive.

One problem is the tiny plugin market for Lightwave.
    What this means is that you virtually never have two competing plugin makers making the same kind of plugin, trying to get your custom by being better or cheaper than the other, so your only choice in most cases for any particular plugin you might need is 'this is your only option, take it or leave it'.
    Competition between manufacturers is obviously very healthy for the consumer.
    Last edited by oDDity; 09-22-2006 at 03:09 AM.

take it or leave it, sasqautch is the only option for LW at the moment, worley knows that. that is why the discount price is still pricy. sas is not a completed product, it only provide a half completed hair solution.
    Last edited by ufo3d; 09-22-2006 at 03:42 AM.

All said though, how many of us would be buying if the reduced price was $199?
    I know I would.
    Brent

Yeah, If it was $199 so would I!!! But such is not the case. Oh well. I think Worley should think a little on this! They'd probably sell 3 - 4 times as many copies and make the money up in volume of sales!!

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by archiea
    I mean which developer can afford to create an "and to end" hair solution for LW?
    Better ask which has free year to do such large project and nothing else, without guarantees that it will return enough..

Especially with the transitory state of LW's SDK?
    What transition... ?

Lets hope the neglect towards Sasquatch turns into a extra attention for the next version of F-Prime.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by T-Light
    All said though, how many of us would be buying if the reduced price was $199?
    I know I would.
    I would too.

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Well, I just happen to have a project being worked on now that needed a hair solution...a good one.

Gotta say, the deal helped me out.

The book Worley provided helped even more.
    Once I skimmed through that I was on my way and the results are just what the doctor ordered.

Oops...sorry.
    This is the slam Sasquatch thread...
    gotta run now!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast