Thread: Football Helmet - Logo Mapping

Newbie Member

Football Helmet - Logo Mapping

I'm making some commercial promos for some football games and have bought a very nice football helmet on the net that needs the different team logos placed on them every week. I can animate, but not model. (I'm using version 7.5 for the Mac)

I get the logos from the client, but need to place them on the helmet properly. The logos are not the entire size of the helmet, just a small team logo to go on the sides. I'll then adjust the helmet color to match the logo. I'll then import them into 3D Arsenal for a quick animation for the open.

Ideally, I need a way to change these logos every week, quickly and easily and I'm sure I'm overlooking a simple aspect of this program to do this. Would it be better to use Photoshop and make a "template" to do this or can it be done easily in Lightwave? What shape and size should they be?

Thank you for the assistance.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Easy way, use an image with an alpha channel which you can place on the side.
    I'd be inclined to UV map the sides but depending on exactly where you need to put the logo, you may get away with a simple projection type.

Then you just swap the image to the one you need. Also, by changing the single helmet, you can save a 'surface library' for that object, build a library for each version, and just load up the one you want at the point of render.
    Too old to die young.

Newbie Member
    When I project it on the helmet, it seems to want to map the entire helmet with the image. (I'm trying to learn the scale and position things now) If the helmet is say 15 inches from front to back, I only need the logo to be about 4 inches tall by 3 inches long above the ear hole and stay there as the helmet animates. Sorry for any confusion. I'm very new at this so simpler is better.
    Thank you.

I've had to do that very same thing. What I did was create a UV map in modeler for the helmet to define where the image is placed on the object just like colkai suggested. If you are using the NFL distributed team mark file all the team helmet images are sized the same and you just need to swap them out.

I also took the facemask UV and sized it down to occupy one small area on the image map so its color gets changed depending on team helmet image too.

Also ended up needing about 4 different UV maps as options because some helmets have the stripe down the middle, and others have more elaborate graphics that wrap differently. Some need the logo on the other side of the helmet to be reversed, unless there is text on it. So I have 1 default UV map, 1 with a reversed logo on the other side, one with the stripes down the middle, and lastly a whole helmet graphic uv for teams like the Rams and Bengals

About your UV question. In modeler select the polys you want to apply the image to, the in the lower right click on the "T" button for texture. Pull down the drop down menu and select "New" give the texture a name like Helmet or Logo or something and select it's orientation. I used Planer on the X axis for most the way I had things set up. Then in the surface editor apply the image and choose UV as the Projection type and pick the UVMap that you named above.
    animator for hire...
    onthez.com

You can also set the Width and Height Tile drop-downs in the Texture Editor window to "Reset". This will keep the image from tiling without having to set up a UV map. Just use plain projections.
    - I don't mean to be flippant or to enrage you or anything, but you're a psychotic man.
    - I know.
    - A very nice psychotic man.
    - Thank you.

Use the color channel image map set to planar, I think that is what you are doing.

Then turn off tileing so that you don't have the image repeating, which is set by using reset or edge but edge will only work if your image contains the same color all along the edge. Reset is usually better.

Press the autosize button and the image will fit the general area of your helmet. Then at that point use the openGL display mode to see how it is lining up (make sure image isn't backwards). If you have words in the image, one side of the helmet may have the text backwards. In this case you may need to do two seprate texture sides.

If all is well, then you can then start sizing the texture down from the whole helmet (which it would be covering by using autosize) by adjusting the scale, position numbers in the texture panel until it is only covering a small area like you want.

Then when this is set how you like you should save the object.

Once you have the helmet and logo aligned you can then go to the image editor and press the button "replace" and select the next logo. It should swap out the image for the new one in the same place on the helmet.

You can either use the image/logo with an alpha channel and then you can set the helmet color in Lightwave OR you can have the logo on top of the color you want the helmet to be IN the image.
    -----------------
    KC