Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interior Lighting in No Time. Help?

Interior Lighting in No Time. Help?

I'm building the interior of a pub for a job, and the client's thumb-fingered their schedule - consequently, I've got about 2 weeks to get the thing done and rendered, not the month I thought I had.

This turned my thoughts to quick and dirty ways to get nice subtle lighting inside a high-detail structure. Now, if I understand it correctly, the fact that it's an interior structure rules out using Ambient Occlusion, as the background is uniformly closed off. Is this the case?

If not, could someone please post up a node-tree showing the correct employment of an Ambient node? I've tried hooking it up and just get what looks like a 100% self-lit surface.

Any other genius ideas for rapidly solving a multiple-source soft-shadow lighting rig for a complex environment (it would be a pub. All that glass. All those mirrors. Oh, my aching eyes) are very gratefully accepted.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Ambient occlusion with a max range specified will work, but I don't think it would be ideal in a situation like this. I don't know exactly how to use the ambient occlusion nodes in LW9, though.

Area lights are nice, but it renders slowly.

Is this for animation, or for still images? I guess if it's just a still, you could turn on global illumination, use area lights, etc, and still have enough time. If it's an animation, you could always use area lights without GI and employ one of those online render services to save time.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Just plug the Occlusion node into the diffuse input and set the quality and a range for indoor work (infinite will just be like a BKdrop pass). You could add in a multiply node to allow you to scale the strength of the Occlusion.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Thanks, chaps - I'll see what I get out of it.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com

If you're animating then bake the b*gger, even if you're just running off several independant shots it could save a fair bit of time. Adding reflections and even more lighting is still easy and very fast to render.

Ran an animation of the front room with baked walls sofas, glass units, tv etc. A still radiosity image would take about twenty minutes. Once I'd baked out the textures I ran off a 750 frame animation in about an hour, AND, I haven't got the power of your kit!!!

Might be worth a shot
    Brent

Ambient Occusion is a necessity, IMO - it adds so much depth to the lighting with very little rendering overhead. Baking the solution would be optimal, if you have time in the beginning it will save a lot during the final render.

If that's not possible, you'll have to fake your GI.

Check out some posts by Otacon he's very good at this type of thing.
    Allen Bussell

Should say, when I baked the front room objects it took over twenty four hours on very low poly objects using LW 8.5 and the old surface shader.

Ran a quick test just now to see how that compared with the new surface baking camera. This is only 250 poly's or so baked with 1 distant light and background radiosity (It's the interior upper floor and stair area of the Wtools mansion). Not a great example but it took 4mins 18 secs (300% background radiosity at 5x15+point light) on a 1.6Ghz centrino laptop.

With the pub, the only surfaces to bake are things like woodwork, flooring, ceiling etc. Mirrors and glasses don't need to be baked. Your outputs can be modified in photoshop and you can add as much detail as you want

ps I'm not recommending you bake at 512*512

[EDIT] - fprime renders there for completeness sake - it's not using baked camera UV's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mansion-example.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	36261  
    Last edited by T-Light; 08-24-2006 at 09:26 PM.
    Brent

Hum.

I'm trying a bit of baking, not really had too much experience with it before. So I've got my Atlas map (just taking the defaults), set up a quick and dirty light rig and whacked on Radiosity.

Took - again - mainly defaults on the Baking Camera, and told it to render at 1024x1024.

Bopped F10.

Applied the resultant image as a Colour texture to the appropriate Atlas Map, cranked the surface luminosity to 100% as I'd expect that to Be About Right, and got this:

Big white seams. What've I done wrong, please? Pretty please? The Tron look is cool, but inapproriate.

(Darn fast to render that, though! Couple of minutes. Astonishing. I have Evil Wicked Plans involving simple stand-in shadowcast objects for pool tables and things, if I can get this working right).
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com

Ooo weird. I'll have a test with the mansion and see if I get the same thing.
    Brent

I am getting the same thing, light bleed around the edges, bum, you know what this means, we'll have to read the manual There's a few options in that baking panel, one of them will probably fix this.

Mind you, at a pinch it can be taken out in ps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masnsionafterbaking.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	36342  
    Brent

There's a few options in that baking panel, one of them will probably fix this.
    <paxman>Yeerrrrss</paxman>

Bit surprised that the defaults don't do the obvious though. Why won't it just... you know... read my mind or something. I'm wearing the special hat and everything....
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com

Jeremy is it er, could it be... THIS
    -UV Border: This is the ‘overdraw’ of the UV polygon boundaries. Using this setting, you can remove the visible seams in your UV projection.
    Paxo : Is that a guess Durham?
    Brent

Oooh, cracking. I'll just have a quick go at that...
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com

On my third attempt now, first time I overshot, second time I used a value of two which got rid of most of the seams but not all, now having a bash with a value of 3.5, all depends on your UV spacing of course, should have measured the gaps in my first bake but hey it's Sunday
    Brent

Ahhh, Sunday. Sunday, and Reading Festival is in full swing not 200 metres from where I sit, the lasses in their summer frocks and gumboots, like rubber-rooted flowers in full bloom. Placebo, Slayer and Pearl Jam are on today, we had Muse last night playing their excellent "Butterflies and Hurricanes", there's a gigalitre of ice-cold beer within a kilometre radius of me. It's a gorgeous day, warm and bright with puffy white clouds, and I've just had a text message from a colleague from the British Library saying how fantastic the festival ground is.

And I'm sat here buggering about with UV maps.

Someone just blimmin' well kill me.

*sob*
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast