Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glow?

Glow?

OK, so I'm probably ditzing here, but I can't seem to get glow to work. It doe work in 9 dosen't it? I did the glow option in the surface properies and activated it in the Processing tab (that's the one that used to get everyone) But it just dosen't seem to be working. I have it as a filiment (SP?) inside a glass lightbulb, would that do it? I'm at a loss. Thanks guys!!

Casey

Hmmm. Just a guess, but perhaps because you are trying to get a glow inside a transparent object. I recall a thread about create a glow for a lightbulb before, but don't recall the outcome.
    I don't know if 9 solved the glow issue or not. Could you render in 2 passes, in first the glass is unrenderable to allow the glow, then render the glass over your glow background. Or something on that idea.
    Sorry if I wasn't more help, but I haven't even tryied doing glows in 9 yet.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

So I think I seem to have it working, but I have two bulbs in the scene and only the first one is glowing. I even assigned a seperate surface to the second and copied over the setting of the first and still only the first is working. Anyone know why?

Casey
    (hu?...who?...)

Why not try using HV Sprites for the glow? I almost never use LWs default glow option, as the HV method works much better and is much more configurable.

[OFFTOPIC]to Lottmedia = Did you know about the spell check in the upper right-hand corner of the edit box when you post?[/OFFTOPIC]

I can't even find the glow interface...
    Triboot-

XP:Work, play, ect.
    Vista:... I don't know.
    Ubuntu: Developing on Linux also...

Pentium 4 2.8 GH
    GeForce 7600 256 MB AGP 8x
    Driver:163.75(WinXP)
    1 GB RAM

Well, I have been playing with the lightbulb for a little while in 9 using the old shaders(shame on me). Below is what I came up with. I found out that texture displacements and the luminosity channel do not work inside a transparent object either.
    What I ended up using was a point light with a lens flare with most of the options turned off.
    Silk
    Last edited by Silkrooster; 04-28-2008 at 01:57 AM.

wait wha???

what kind f glow are you all trying to achieve? i thought it was just adjusting the "glow intensity" on the suface editor 'advanced tab' and make sure "enable glow" is on on the 'effect processing' window (CTRL+F8).

or are you talking about a glow that is way pass my head that i should probably know about?
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

To my knowledge for glow to work it has to have a lumious object. Inside a transparent object the luminosity channel does not work. Therefore glow will not work.
    If the light filment was not inside a transparent object, then yes glow would work.
    Silk

ah i see...trying to simulate the bulb filament. hmmm...way beyond my brain there. i have to sit down and think about that...thinking hurts me. heheh.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Heffalump
    Well....historically, I would have recommended SuperGlow 2 for this. It is, though, Win32 only and is completely broken with LW9. The plugin causes an instant crash and has done for all the OB releases. NewTek apparently don't care and the developer is....encountering problems making his plugin work without relying on the legacy plugins.

Given that LW also makes it so tremendously painful to get usable masks (per-surface, per-object) out, it's also bl**dy difficult to get a proper glow for complex scenes even in post, complete with reflections and refractions.

I'm hoping that there will be progress in this area, but with NT apparently having gone dark since SIGGRAPH, who knows? Call me frustrated, but LW's glow has been the same since 4.0 was released over 10 years ago. Some progress could have been expected by now. *sigh*
    Inactive.

Maybe hyperglow could be something to look up, it's not a free plug-in but looks cool. http://www.ficatech.com/

I'd render the filament out in a seperate pass and glow it in post.

It's a bit unfortunate isn't it.
    Brent

Heffalump
    It's pathetic. Take a look at what can be done with a little planning and forethought : http://www.pontari.com

It really hurts that this plugin is so badly broken - it has saved my backside so many times that, despite all the goodness in LW 9, I still cannot commit to nodal properly because I have to use LW8.5 to get glows/masks/etc. out.

In fact...pathetic is not nearly strong enough. I've bitched and moaned about this repeatedly, with plenty of soothsaying from NewTek as a response. So far, no delivery and I'm finding it hard to maintain my initial confidence in 9.x with this extended dark period post-9.0 / SIGGRAPH. I'm fully expecting that the only real option will be to pick up the OpenEXR plugin from LightWolf in a later release *sighs deeply* *Ten years*. SuperGlow 2 dates from at least 1999. That's 7 years.
    Last edited by Phil; 08-24-2006 at 07:29 AM.
    Inactive.

Not sure how to impliment the HV options with my current setup. For refrence I've attatched a pic of the rouch scene. You see I've been able to get the bulb on the left to glow using the triditional methods. The other eye is identical, but no glow. I even seperated out the filiment surfaces thinking it didn't like two surfaces glowing, but no. Maby the pic will help get an idea for everyone and keep Wickster from blowing a fuse

PS Shawn, I swear I can't find a spell check thingie. I feel a bit daft, really

Casey
    (She who cannot spell....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roboteye.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	36224  

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem
    Maybe hyperglow could be something to look up, it's not a free plug-in but looks cool. http://www.ficatech.com/
    This seems very slow from what I can tell. A simple ball within the default scene, with 100% luminosity sees its render time jump from ~ 1 second to around 30-40 seconds with this plugin added and default settings. I haven't tried something more 'serious' yet, but if this scales with the number of glowing elements, it could hurt very quickly
    Inactive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast