Thread: Trying to create a special effect - A "Pulsed" rocket exhaust

Trying to create a special effect - A "Pulsed" rocket exhaust

Hello All;
    I am trying to create a pulsed rocket exhaust as shown in the picture below.

Can anyone suggest a strategy for accomplishing this task? Thanks.

A quick-and-dirty way to get easy shock diamons is to start with the Distant Light volumetric preset, "Tractor Beam"
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Another would be by using a particle emitter parented to your object (in case you want to animate it).
    Give that emitter a small size, like 1mm x 1mm x 1mm, set it to generate the particles per frame and add an expression like the one in the attached screenshot to the birthrate envelope.
    What it basically does is that the birthrate is increased for three frames after every tenth frame (if you're not familiar with that expression: the first line is a if-statement -> if A smaller B, then take value C, or else take value D. Just adjust the values to your needs).
    Finally add hypervoxels to your emitter and select sprite mode with no textures applied if you want that exact effect of your picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	expression.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	36034  

I'd use edge transparency to begin with, then a transparency map (choose whatever texture gets the effect you want) with world coordinates turned on... Super easy and hardly a render hit at all.

Bob Anderson

a bit different

you might try several concentric cones each in a separate transparency control envelope, fluctuating from fully transparent to something like 50%. With transparent toroids emitted from the exhaust...also with a transparency envelope, but set to dissolve uniformly as the toroid simultaneously shrinks in size near the end of the jetstream.

Wow, Fellas. Thanks for the tips. I'm anxious to explore some of these ideas.

Tim

Use a gradient with several keys