Thread: Can LW import IGES files?

Can LW import IGES files?

IGES, this format is new to me. My cousin is an industrial designer and wanted to show me one of his models. He sent me an IGES file. I did some research and it appears to be a common format for CAD applications. But I have doubts that I will have any luck with it (no luck so far). I get the feeling that if LW can open it, it would loose its CAD info. But I just want to know if it can be opened (to view) or should I ask for a different format?

Nope IGES is NURBS data and LW can't open/save NURBS . But you can ask your cousin to export you IGES to some polygonal format like OBJ/3DS/LWO and then you will open it in LW but you'll have some manuall work too, depends on how good exporter is when transfering to polygons.

You can open IGES in Rhinoceros (i believe there is 30 days trial on their WEB) and save as LWO/OBJ from there if you are in hurry.

cheers
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Or STL, there's a free loader / saver on www.flay.com
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    Nope IGES is NURBS data
    Wrong. IGES can contain anything from single points to isolated curves of various types (linear, Hermite, Bezier, NURBS, etc.) to Spline/ NURBS patches to polygons. There are over 700 different entity types. So assuming an IGES files is completely based on polygonal data or curves LW supports, it would be quite possible to write an importer even if LW does not support other stuff such as NURBS.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

I think the kind of nurbs he wants to import ARE the ones LW can't import, basically surfaces.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Mylenium
    Wrong. IGES can contain anything from single points to isolated curves of various types (linear, Hermite, Bezier, NURBS, etc.) to Spline/ NURBS patches to polygons. There are over 700 different entity types. So assuming an IGES files is completely based on polygonal data or curves LW supports, it would be quite possible to write an importer even if LW does not support other stuff such as NURBS.

Mylenium
    I'm not saying importer can't be written, I'm saying what i tested. I have many IGES files (complete objects) from varous CAD programs and none of them can be imported to LW natively nor through ANY importers known to me . You know importer which CAN ? Please share this information with us. Till then LW CAN'T import IGES .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial