Thread: IK messed up my mesh!?!?

IK messed up my mesh!?!?

Hi, i see this problem occuring more than once. I make a mesh, I draw my skelegons, I Rig my character in layout. And after a restart (a lot of work has been done in the meantime) And my bones are suddenly messing up my mesh.

Great way of working with a narrow deadline. How can I solve this, and what was I doing wrong in the first place??

Thanks,
    Ruud.
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

I know this might be a stupid question, but did you do weight mapping?
    Triboot-

XP:Work, play, ect.
    Vista:... I don't know.
    Ubuntu: Developing on Linux also...

Pentium 4 2.8 GH
    GeForce 7600 256 MB AGP 8x
    Driver:163.75(WinXP)
    1 GB RAM

yes, and that doesn't seem to make a difference (i know how to rig, I've done it a thousand times, but sometimes Lightwave JUST won't coöperate)
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Are the bones missplaced aswell or is only the mesh distorted? Either way this is a very common problem and has been reported and asked about alot on these forums. I suspect you've used record pivot rotation but forgotten to rerest the bones after that. If the bones pivot is repositioned it's rest position is offset. The fault here is that LW either doesn't reflect this until you reload for some odd reason or that RPR doesn't rerest automatically.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, if I've evaluated the situation correctly and was gonna offer I solution, I'd suggest you turn ik off (you could turn off deformations aswell, but not necessary), go to frame 0, select and rerest all bones, set a key (to make it stick; not sure this is needed but do it just in case). Save and load to see if everything is ok.
    Last edited by evenflcw; 07-20-2006 at 11:17 AM.

well.. All I can say is there aren't any unusual things in my scene. I didn't use Record Pivot Point (from my experience this will certainly mess up your rig).

All I did was draw a skelegon (not too complicated because the character is a simple reptile). Put it in layout, held the bones at the same drawing pose from modeler on frame 0. And animated the bones (rotation only) on frame 20. When I reload I can start all over again posing (animating) my character.

So, as you can see it's not something difficult I'm discribing. Ive done it all over again (even drawing my skelegons) and it just happens again. This can really piss somebody off

thnx for your thoughts!

Ruud.
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Skelegons, yuch!

Skelegons also mess with pivot rotations. Try the reresting and rekeying.

EDIT:
    If it doesn't work, could you perhaps create a simpler model and scene that display the same problem so I could investigate further?
    Last edited by evenflcw; 07-20-2006 at 11:22 AM.

skelegons are the easiest and the fastest. And because of my tight deadline I can't really try too much.. too bad, because I want to get to the bottom of this problem thing.
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Easy and fast is a matter of opinion. Because of the pivot rotation issues I think they introduce more troubles than they solve. Becoming aware of how the pivot rotations are distributed and cleaning up what you can erases all benefits of how easy it is to place bones in Modeler. In place of fiddling with pivot rotations (which are sortof a hidden attribute) I use "buffer bones" (much more tactile and therefor easier to keep track of) when I need to offset the plane a bone rotates around. In any case, I'll shut up now since you probably don't have time to discuss right now.

Hey there Ruud, That's how we say hello in Ohio, USA.

Anyway, have you ever checked your sub-division order under the Geometry tab? I know sometimes that can mess things up. Just a Thought.

THREEL (AL)

Mogguh! (that's how we say hellow here in this part of the Netherlands

The object I'm using... isn't subdivided, I know, it sounds odd for a character, but thats the way I'm using it at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts..

Ruud
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

I managed to solve the problem using "Record Bone Rest Position"

Thanks for the help!

Ruud
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations