Thread: Tecture mapping problem - Total novice so should be a quick one to resolve!

Texture mapping problem - Total novice so should be a quick one to resolve!

I am trying to create a simple 3d logo, by importing a flat .ai file then extruding it. I'm trying to texture it up with a chrome effect using the default chrome texture then adding a raytracing+spherical map with the chrome .tga which looks fine on all the extruded sides but doesn't seem to show on the front of the shape.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-14-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Do you have a pic?

Before you edited the default texture, did it render OK? I only ask because you mentioned you are new to 3D and you might have a backwards poly or a non planar (twisted 4 or more point poly).

I guess I would need to see a pic to be more helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by whodini
    Do you have a pic?

Before you edited the default texture, did it render OK? I only ask because you mentioned you are new to 3D and you might have a backwards poly or a non planar (twisted 4 or more point poly).

I guess I would need to see a pic to be more helpfull.
    Yeah this is a render, should show the problem.

Thanks for replying!

Newbie Member
    Your problem might be occuring because the reflection image doesn't extend in front the letters. Maybe you could try just using a different image, or a spherical HDRI map, which is meant to be mapped spherically. Here's a link to some HDRI maps to start you off: http://www.hdrimaps.com/downloads.html

Thanks for replying Emfrobia,

I don't think it's the map, as i'm sure I have achieved this effect before. I'm just a total novice, and only tend to pick up lightwave every now and then, guess i'm rusty as well and a beginner!

I'm sure that it's something i'm forgetting to do after I have imported the shape from illustrator. as it was just illustrator outline imported using the EPSF import function. I then extruded the shape.

Triglycerous Gluteous Dave Jerrard's Avatar
    It's because the front surfaces of the logo are flat, so they're not able to reflect much of the image. You can see more of the image reflected in the curved sides though. Either make a bigger image with more detail in it,or place some geometry in front of the logo, so the logo reflects that. A popular techniques is to take an image of a few diagonal white lines on black, map it onto a polygon that faces toward the logo (and away from the camera so the camera doesn't see it), and move it sideways slowly. With ray traced reflections on, the front faces will reflect a moving diagonal gleam. This works really well when the front faces have a nice beveled edge.

He Who Thought He Had A Logo Rendered That He Could Use As An Example.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 07-21-2006 at 06:57 PM. Reason: People may say something to you you don't understand, just don't be afraid to keep your mouth shut and pretend like you know what they're saying.
    - Any typos are the result of a creative, yet rebellious keyboard.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs
    32GB Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S RAM
    EVGA|01G-P3-1556-KR GTX550Ti video card