Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Symbols; Your thoughts please.

Symbols; Your thoughts please.

I'm working on a short film involving symbols and how they are percieved. I'd like to get people's first impressions of the symbol below (see image).

What is your intial reaction when you see this symbol?
    What emotions or thoughts come to your mind?

Also please give us a brief description of yourself. Where your from, what you do for work etc. General information that might be pertinent to help us understand where your coming from. (Obviously this a public forum, so don't give out information your not ok with the world seeing)

PLEASE, I plead with everyone, lets not turn this into a debate. I'm not interested in starting a patriotic or anti-patriotic flame war. This is research for a short film. I'm approaching this community because I know we are a rather diverse global group of people. I'm interested in any and all opinions be it that they are decent honest opinions free of obviously objectionable comments. IE - Crude language etc. (Please focus on your own thought and opinions and avoid commenting on others.)

(I'm hoping this an OK topic for the LW-Community. I belong to a small film group, we get together and make films. We use mostly Newtek products for everything we do. (You can visit us at www.empyreus.net, some may have seen our short Star Wars flick, Duke. It was on the forums a while back.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brunson
    I'm not interested in starting a patriotic or anti-patriotic flame war.
    I don't see how you could expect anything other than that.

What do I think when I see that symbol? I want to set it on fire. Not because I hate America and not to be controversial. Just because I'm sick and tired of hearing about how I have all these rights as an American, but then come to find out I really don't have quite as many as I thought I did. Such as my first amendment right to free speech, unless of course that speech offends just the right politician or special interest group. I'm tired of being told that I'm supposed to feel a certain way, a certain emotion, or get all choked up at the sight of this symbol. I don't believe in idolatry and I just can't get behind the worship of a symbol of America, that let's face it, was probably handsewn in Taiwan for about 25 cents an hour.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 06-19-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    What do I think when I see that symbol? I want to set it on fire. Not because I hate America and not to be controversial. Just because I'm sick and tired of hearing about how I have all these rights as an American, but then come to find out I really don't have quite as many as I thought I did. Such as my first amendment right to free speech, unless of course that speech offends just the right politician or special interest group. I'm tired of being told that I'm supposed to feel a certain way, a certain emotion, or get all choked up at the sight of this symbol. I don't believe in idolatry and I just can't get behind the worship of a symbol of America, that let's face it, was probably handsewn in Taiwan for about 25 cents an hour.
    I'd have to say I pretty much agree with that. Unless you are wealthy and can hire your own lobbyist, you have no inalienable rights.

I feel an overwhelming urge to yawn, followed by a nagging voice in my mind asking, "what they are getting away with now?" topped off with the desire to run for the nearest bomb shelter (to escape the ensuing flame wars this thread is sure to draw, not through any real fear of imminent american invasion. honest)
    sarcastic, but honest
    the internet hates me

men landing on the moon
    amazing people, who achieved something truly out of this world

name:steve g
    nationality: english [do not put 'british' please..i born/live in england!]
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

is this for americans only?

if not.

initial reaction; mixed emotions..

first: it is a beatiful flag, stands for proud people, patriotism, leadership...and of course, freedom.

second: it stands for needles wars, ignorance, lies and double standards (double moral??),

this flag is for me all the good it could/should be, and all the bad it is...

(think of the star wars melody and you understand what i mean ..beatiful, powerfull and evil heheh)

edit: Hope it's allowed to respond with another picture.
    Last edited by brtk; 06-19-2006 at 11:52 AM.

_
    To me the first thing that comes to mind is "English". When I see that symbol it usually means that I can click on it to get the English version of the page.
    Maybe I spend too much time online?

Initial thought:

"What lovely shades of red and blue"

Emotional reaction:

The same poignant heart-rending as finding out that your beloved has been having an affair and snorting coke while you've been leading a decent, honourable life. I still love her, but Gh0d she's hurting me so...
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

brtk: Hulk Hogan IS america in a person

i wonder how many LW-junkies get the "nice cloth-dymanics" as first reaction...considering how often it is mentioned here on the forums....or perhaps "can i see the wireframe, please..."

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead
    men landing on the moon
    amazing people, who achieved something truly out of this world

name:steve g
    nationality: english [do not put 'british' please..i born/live in england!]
    I very much used to have this feeling when I saw that flag also. I still feel that way about the people in general, ... but I'll stop there.

My thought is "Poor Betsy Ross. Stuck indoors sewing all the time. If only she had known Photoshop was just around the corner!".
    Last edited by Signal to Noise; 06-19-2006 at 12:35 PM.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Can I have a second emotional reaction of remembering a white dart-shape rising out of the Mojave on a column of fire and glory? 'Cause that's every bit as valid as my emotional reaction that was tainted by news headlines, but a lot, lot, lot happier...
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

10 years ago- Essentialy benevolent power, weilded by an essentialy decent people- today, something darker has crept into the frame- not sure what, not sure why.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast