Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Mixers with Tricaster

Newtek Elite Reseller

Audio Mixers with Tricaster

How many are using a external audio mixer with the Tricaster ? Is this something that would be nice to have stored in a road case ? How many inputs ? Any suggestions make and model of a Mixer that would be small enough to store in rear lid of our Tricaster Hard Shell case Mixer dim would be appx 12.5 x 11 .
    Jim Davis
    DVS Direct
    Better Business Bureau® Rated A+ Business
    Newtek Elite Partner
    Newtek Service and Repair
    Top 10 reseller 4 years in a Row
    PH 1 814 371 5640

Jim,

Mine is, and I wouldn't take anything for it, a Mackie, 1402 VLZ. Dimensions, however are 13.5 x 12.

Nes Gurley

Quote Originally Posted by Cineman
    Jim,

Mine is, and I wouldn't take anything for it, a Mackie, 1402 VLZ. Dimensions, however are 13.5 x 12.

Nes Gurley
    Oddly enough I've had my 1402 VLZ since they first released it and love it. Great with the Tricaster. I've installed 1604s and used a 1202 before that in other applications, but sliders are crucial (to me) so I wouldn't recommend the 1202.

You could try Behringers, you get a lot of bang for your buck and some of them are very small and battery operated... they aren't Mackies but are cheap and do the job certainly well enough for cable TV

Jared Amos
    Last edited by Tarheel Cougar; 06-08-2006 at 04:01 PM.

If you need rackmount we use Rolls RM65b. 6 channel XLR or 1/4. Bonus, you could add a talback to your talent if you have a spare channel.

How would you use the talkback Stephen mentions?

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis
    How many are using a external audio mixer with the Tricaster ? Is this something that would be nice to have stored in a road case ? How many inputs ? Any suggestions make and model of a Mixer that would be small enough to store in rear lid of our Tricaster Hard Shell case Mixer dim would be appx 12.5 x 11 .
    Hi, Jim. We love our Mackie™ 1402-VLZ Pro as this variant of the 1402 has an extremely awesome dynamic range spec of 130dB, with utterly minimal Distortion & Noise spec (.0007% from 20-20KHz). Moreover, it's got +22dBu input handling capacity (again, great headroom) and it sounds sweet to boot.Something you'd be concerned about -- it's about 13.5"W x 13"L x 3"H after rubber feet are applied.

But it's been replaced by the 1402-VLZ3. That said, I'd commend you to the smaller Mackie™ 1202 VLZ3. Do note that these will likely sound more pristine than the Behringer™ alternatives.

http://www.mackie.com/products/vlz3series/splash.html
    -PeterG
    Last edited by CreatvGnius; 03-18-2008 at 09:58 PM.

I use a Shure M367 mixer with our TCPro. It works nicely.

I use a Mackie 16 channel mixer (fixed install, not a road set-up) with one of the Aux mixes done post-fade (to give a different mix than the house mix which has to compete with the sound of instrument monitors on stage) and fed to the Tricaster.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Back in the Moutains on the Canadian border surounded by Deer, Quail, little Bunnies, clean water, air with real oxygen, the toe-headed offspring of the pioneers who settled up here, the neighbor's Milk Cows and Jillions of tiny Chipmunks. Whoo Hoo
    I couldn't live without my little Peavey10usb anymore.

I can hang multiple Sennheiser receivers from it or because of the the phantom power I can use three condenser mics on booms to make it look like a radio show set, or all kinds of groovy things. The usb gives me a seperate audio archive. The built in tube effect give nice warm tones.

It's bigger than your 12.5x11 requirement but based on how good this little ol' PV10 is, the PV6 would probably haul the freight too. I most often could get by with 4 wireless mics.
    Last edited by sbrandt; 03-19-2008 at 07:49 PM.

I am new to Tricaster setup and wouldlike toask if anyone could help me configure my Mackie Audio Mixer to my Tricaster TCXD 450. I presntly work at a Non-Profit TV station and it has been giving to me to hookup the Studio. I don't have a lot of experience doing so. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hi David,

What model of Mackie mixer do you have? And could you describe a little bit about your setup and goals? Depending on how you want to set things up, it could be as easy as running cables from the output of your Mackie to the input of your TriCaster. Or it could get a little more complicated if you need to feed audio from the TriCaster back into the Mackie as well.

Thanks,
    Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Jim, if you're confined to the footprint you mention, your options are very, very limited. If you can go up in size, you will be able to get into a much better console. We have a Mackie 1642VLZ4 and a Behringer X32. The Behringer is a much better mixer than the Mackie and it has loads and loads of IO, and expansion slots that you can make use of as you grow. The Midas pre-amps are great and the ability to build a show(s), save it to a thumb drive and recall it instantly is a real time-saver. The remote-control via a computer is also cool. The Mackie is a more-stout Mixer and probably better suited to life on the road, but the Behringer isn't a delicate flower either.... Your I/O question is a good one. We chose a console that would give us at least as many in's as the TC itself, and in our case aux-sends were vital since we burn a lot of them with iso's, mix-minuses, etc. That's where the Mackie falls short - especially compared to the X32. Our console has 16 ins, (40 total), 8 sub-mix outs, 6 matrix-outs, and even more available (32x32) via DAW. Its not much bigger than the Mackie, either.

David - use the mixer as the hub for your audio. Run all the mics into the mixer channels and feed a l/r back to the tricaster and plug them into inputs 1 and 2. Take your DDRs and Sound playbacks in the T/C and assign them to aux1, and un-assign them from program. You can do a mono send or a l/r. Run the XLR from the TC-aux to a stripe on the mixer and assign that in the console to your l/r feed back to the TC. Hook up the rest of the mixer's out's (aux, sub, and main) as-needed. Now your console is managing ALL of the audio and shooting a mixdown to the TC for program.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 10-11-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Taking this approach, just note that your DDR audio will incur about a 2 frame latency penalty compared to everything else, so if your system permits it, you will likely want to add a small video delay on the DDR to compensate.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Taking this approach, just note that your DDR audio will incur about a 2 frame latency penalty compared to everything else, so if your system permits it, you will likely want to add a small video delay on the DDR to compensate.
    Curious - what sorts of delay solutions have you found? I've been looking for an affordable video delay and come up short. This is the only problem we have ever encountered when using an external mix. It's not a massive issue, but it would be nice to not have to deal with it. I've been meaning to try looping the DDR's through some keyers and an M/E, but just have not gotten around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Trying to search the forums to see if this was discussed else where but I wasn't sure where the latency was coming from and why it was 2 frames extra compared too every thing else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast