Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished: Short Film

Finished: Short Film

Hi Guys,

I've pretty much finished a short film that I did completely in LW.

There are a a small handfull of glitches in the film that I'm not sure if I'll have time to fix or not, and I'm painfully aware of them all, but crits are welcome anyway. Between deadlines, testy software, and my finecky computer(s), it was hard to squash all the bugs, but I think I got most of them.

Main info:
    -Modeled in Modeler
    -Animated, lit, rendered in LW. My main output medium was the 16bit PSD export
    -Mostly background radiosity, some 1 bounce, some no radiosity
    -Skies done with OGO_taiki and Skytracer2
    -Composited in After Effects
    -Debris done with Particular
    -Sandstorm done with Taiki and Particular
    -Water with HVs and polys/displacement/bump
    -Sasquatch
    -500 hours to make
    -4 desktop render farm
    -Butterfly Net Render

I'm posting it in Flash 8 format where I've gotten the best compression results. Later I may do a quicktime after I get back from vacation next week. It's 55meg.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

[Link removed per request]

Special thanks to Ben Vost for mirroring this!

-steve

Can't see it

I tried with both IE and NS, could only hear the music, not video,

Plum Moving Media
    Man, that's a great piece! It really ties itself together well, both in content and visuals. I love your textures, soundtrack, camera composition, etc. The grassland at the end is awesome too, with the initial "curly" patterns. Well done.

Kevin Petajan
    ------------------------------------
    Milwaukee, WI

Very nice

inspiring, congratulations!
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

Excellent.

THat's really great work. Speaking as a modeler who never uses 90% of lightwave, it's amazing to see what you can actually do with it.
    It was photoreal in some places, but not quite in all, the parts wth the tower, sky and desert were totaly photoreal, the clouds were not quite, I'm not sure which procedural you were using, but they looked too uniform, almost like a pattern, the grass could use some work, imaybe a little colour variation and contrast, when the water dries up it would be nice to see the clay left behind darker than normal and then drying out to a lighter colour. and the water itself a little muddy and darker when it's nearly dried up, the surfacing on the truck is not realistic compared to its surroundings, I think more reflection might help it.
    I notice you stayed away from the entire area of characters and their animation, which seems a little odd when the truck door opens at the start and the invisible man steps out)
    BTW, for the guy who coudn't se it, you need flash 8 to view this.
    Last edited by oDDity; 05-25-2006 at 06:16 AM.

Fantastic.

Great camera work. I like how none of the shots are rushed. Cool idea and I love the look and feel. Very good work on the texturing as well.

One question; How did you do the sun reflections in the chrome and metal from the truck bumper or the windmill? Is that a lens flare from LW or is that added in After Effects using a wiggle for flare brightness? Or do I have it completely wrong? I'm hoping you'll share your secret there because it is very bright, yet small. Most of the time I try to make a flare brighter, it just gets bigger.

Awesome work,
    kev

excellent short. congratz
    [URL="http://www.jadafect.com/"]my website[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.jadafect.com/forum/index.php"]my forum[/URL]

OH MY GOD!!!!

What a beautiful and moving animation!!

Chris Moschella

Newbie Member
    Just to add to oDDity's observances:

The drying up of the water under the tower was very nicely done. I liked how you had the water dry up aroiund the pipes last, very realistic.

Are you going to submit that to the nicktoon short film festival?
    Triboot-

XP:Work, play, ect.
    Vista:... I don't know.
    Ubuntu: Developing on Linux also...

Pentium 4 2.8 GH
    GeForce 7600 256 MB AGP 8x
    Driver:163.75(WinXP)
    1 GB RAM

!!WOOT WOOT!!

Fabuloso. Very nice. Awesome. *insert superlative of choice here*

Loved the touch of using a vignette in the darker parts, and the gleam and bloom effects in the brighter parts. Clouds / skies are awesome too. The radiosity in parts adds so much solidity (is that even a word?) and mass to the geometry. Truly a 1st class bit of work. A pleasure to watch. Well done.

flakester.

Quote Originally Posted by keving007
    Fantastic.

Great camera work. I like how none of the shots are rushed. Cool idea and I love the look and feel. Very good work on the texturing as well.

One question; How did you do the sun reflections in the chrome and metal from the truck bumper or the windmill? Is that a lens flare from LW or is that added in After Effects using a wiggle for flare brightness? Or do I have it completely wrong? I'm hoping you'll share your secret there because it is very bright, yet small. Most of the time I try to make a flare brighter, it just gets bigger.

Awesome work,
    kev
    I did the sun reflections with Knoll Light Factory in After Effects. That plugin is the only way I do lense flares. If you need a perfect match of the position from LW to AE you can use transmotion corner pin and export the position of your light as pixel coordinates. If you need a flare in an arbitrary position, you can use a null in LW to position your flare, then use transmotion again to outpout it's screen pixel coordinates to After Effects. Knoll Light Factory has infinitely customizable flare options including size and intensity.

thanks for the comments, guys. It's so cool to have this work well recieved.

Yeah, you should enter it into some contests and NT should do a blurb on the animation too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast