Thread: Google sued for aiding piracy

Google sued for aiding piracy

Title says it all. Go here and do a search for.... oh, say, 3DS. See what suggestions come up as you type.

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

there is no lightwave crack ?

That's absolutely ridiculous. It's really not Google's fault. Those are just the most common related searches made by users themselves.

lol type in Lightwave Crack.

yeah its not googles fault. They dont make the content, just point you to it.

Whats next? suing McDonalds for spilling hot coffee all over my balls?

depends if you were using the hot coffee patch or not

A few years ago a Mr A said something unpleasant about a Mr B on a bog standard news group available from any ISP anywhere in the world. As Mr A wasn't worth much Mr B brought a law suit against Demon Internet (Large UK ISP). Mr B won the case and was awarded £2,000,000 in damages from Demon, who had absolutely nothing to do with it.

The moral of the story is...
    If the Judge and jury know s*d all about the internet, you're stuffed.
    Brent

Now if Mr B had realy been smart he would have sued all the ISP's in the world who copy that newsgroup, seems Mr A was right after all :P

Sarford-
    seems Mr A was right after all :P
    I'd have bought him a pint

I remember being so annoyed at this case at the time, if someone sent you a poisoned pen letter and rather than sue the sender,you decided to sue the post office, whats your chances of loosing the case and paying all expenses, 100%?

It was so easy to explain and yet the judge, jury and Demon's defence failed to grasp the obvious. If Mr B had tried this trick again on another ISP I think he'd have soon been bankrupt.
    Brent

Haven't similar cases been resolves such as gunmakers not being liable for some homicidal manic shooting someone?

I hope Google wins big time. It's a BS lawsuit.

Google should win (fingers crossed), they're a clever bunch with a lot of dough. At the very least, trying to force Google or any US search engine not to print something is surely against the 1st amendment anyway.
    Brent

The Demon Internet law suit was settled out of court, therefore NO legal precedent was set, smart but expensive move by Demon

That'll teach me to take BBC news as gospel. (I should know better).

Shame then that Demon felt justified in paying this guy out of court, it has to have been that things really didn't look in their favour at the time (17th century wigs looking at a 21st century communications company called Demon - 'theyre bee devils and whitchcraft - GUILTY '.
    Brent

If Google isn't responsible for what people search for, but still post the results, then why for example does the RIAA and MPAA sue all those BitTorrent sites and not Google, or Yahoo, or Altavista? If that's the case those torrent sites are not responsible either for what people post (those sites are merely databases that point to .torrent files that themselves point to the computers actually sharing data). Offcourse, Google doesn't host reference to torrent files, but it does reference the sites (and even the pages containing the torrent file), still, who's to blame then really? None actually contain the actual illigal data, but you sure as heck can find it on the sites of all the mentioned parties.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Red_Oddity,

Your reasoning is on point. My question is, are people winning suits against the torrent sites?
    Chris Moschella

As far as i know, yes, i see a lot of sites getting closed down (and, they probably can sue me for saying this, but i used some of those sites in order to download and watch my favourite series)
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com