Thread: One Y/C SX-8 input black/white

One Y/C SX-8 input black/white

System came up last night for service with Y/C input #2 on the SX-8 in B/W. Didn't have time to troubleshoot much, so moved the camera down to another Y/C input for the night. After servoce I tried it again in #2 - after booting (complete powerdown but did not unplug PC) and it was still in B/W. Will look at it more tonight, but wanted to see if anyone else had seen this kind of problem, and if so what was the fix.

thanks
    Joel

System:
    VT[4] (4.6)
    Supermicro - Dual 3.0ghz xeon
    2gb ram
    150gb system SATA
    223gb content SATA
    160gb (4x40) SCSI video array
    VT[3] card SX-8 RS-8
    Nvidia 6600
    Firewire 800

If you get a B/W input, check these:

1. Are you set to composite, component or Y/C for that input?
    2. Like you did, try another input.
    3. Try another cable. Sometmes the fragile little pins line up better or worse in another connector.
    4. Hit enter a few times to Take the switcher. See if the color problem stays with that input or if it switches to another input. (bad card or SX-84)

If none of this helps, or #4 does, call your dealer or our tech support and we will try to sort it out.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Thanks for the suggestions John!

This was strange, I always take the system down gracefully after each service (this is in a church system), I know I am still evaluating if best to leave this up or not. I leave all my other computers in the department running (5 others). But anyway. It came up just fine, no conflicts other than the one input (setting was still set to Y/C) was in B/W.

I had time last night to work with it more and this is what I did and the problem was solved.

Checked all cables (un-plug, plug back in -- video-in and 15pin)
    System power up, check for problem.
    Still there.
    Exit VT
    Reset Config
    Auto Config
    Restart VT

The problem was gone.

IF it happens again, I will see if Reset only will solve it.

Again thanks for the input.
    Joel

Oh, I forgot a very early step...

Check the proc amps!

Glad to hear that you got it fixed,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Ohhhhh proc amps!! I will have to remember that one for sure. maybe something got off there. thanks, will pack that one back for safe keeping.

Joel

Also, I'd like to point out that some S-video 4pin cables are made such that if the cable going to the connector is bent a certain way after one solder blob is disconnected or too close to another, it will work, but if bent another way it won't. I have one cable with one end that just a slight tap fixes it, and another where moving it about 1" to another connector makes it work. If you have a good cable tester, plug the S-video cable in and give it a light tug near each end while testing, make sure it's good.
    tonsofpcs (Eric Adler)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/

Amiga will last Forever!