Thread: Please Help! I need answers to questions about a career in Animation

Newbie Member

Please Help! I need answers to questions about a career in Animation

Hello All!
    Hi I had a few questions in regards to a career in animation. Would any of you be able to help me with some questions I have? Thank you for your time. I am currently a Graduating senior from Missouri State University and I was interested in moving forward after graduation and i have to do a thesis on someone who has worked in the career field. Thanks Stacy

1. Tell me about a little about yourself and what you do at _____?

2. Why did you choose your career?

3. What led you to choose this line of work?

4. Why did you decide to seek a position with this organization?

5. How has your experience prepared you for this position?

6. What all did your portfolio/reel consist of when you began to apply for jobs?

7. What do you consider to be your greatest strengths as an animator? Weaknesses?

8. Who are your inspirations or influences?

9. How would you describe yourself? How would you current supervisor describe you?

10. Describe your most rewarding (or difficult) work experience.

11. Describe a situation when you had to use your creativity to the fullest to complete a project.

12. Describe a situation in which you needed to solicit the cooperation of others in order for a project to succeed, but you had no "authority" over the persons involved. How did you go about gaining cooperation?

13. How do you work under pressure?

14. Do you travel?

15. Do you have anyone that works under you?

16. What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you preparing to achieve them?

17. Is this your ultimate dream job? Do you see yourself ending up in some other position?

18. Describe the ideal job.

19. Where is a good place to be located, city or area, to be able to find an animation job?

20. What is the starting salary of an animator?

21. I'm interested in Pixar or Lucas Films as a place of future employment. Is a masters degree required? To which schools would you recommend I apply for a masters degree ?

22. In what ways do you think a new employee can make a contribution to your organization?

23. If you were hiring for this position, what qualities would you look for?

24. Is there certain software that is preferred for a entry level animator to know? Ex. Lightwave, After Effects

25. Is it possible to get feedback on my resume and/or reel submission?

26. Do you have any suggestions you would like to give to me as an entry level animator?

User.
    Could you be more specific as to what you need help at? Do you want me (or us) to answer all those questions, or do you need help at answering them on your own, as they seem pretty personal questions...be a bit more precise.

I'm confused. Stacy sounds like a girl's name.
    Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclasty
    I'm confused. Stacy sounds like a girl's name.
    You'd better explain that to Stacy Keatch. In any event, what difference does it make whether the OP is a man or woman?

Old Lightwavin' hand
    Stacy,

A good place to start is to look at some of the profiles at

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profiles/index.php

and

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profiles/archive.php

and

http://newtek-europe.com/uk/communit...ave/index.html

many of these guys started off as enthusiatic amateurs so they are good source of inspriration
    Last edited by Original1; 05-03-2006 at 08:59 AM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    PS...
    It's all small stuff

...unless its Lightwave

Newbie Member

anyone can answer

anyone can answer these questions. but if you do answer them, try and answer as many as possible. My teacher wants me to interview a person who i currently doing animation, special effects.. anything with animation. so if anyone could help, i would be much obliged.. just email me
    [email protected]