Thread: Slightly OT- Making interactive CD's/DVD's

Slightly OT- Making interactive CD's/DVD's

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight about how you could make a CD that when you put it in the drive, a menu screen would come up that would display the content. Are there specific pieces of software that do this kind of CD/DVD authoring? My girlfriend wants to make an interactive CD to use as a compliment to her resume. She's a high school art teacher and she teaches computer graphics as well as more traditional mediums.

you can just create a splash html that has links to the content. that's just a matter of making the web page, then creating an Autorun.inf file with the appropriate info. google has all you need for that method.

i used to do it with macromedia director or flash, since you can make standalone .exe files that can be burned to cd (and launched with the autorun file).

this is all PC only, for the record. Mac disabled autorun altogether in the OS (for better or worse. I'm glad, but everyone may not share that view).

Thanks Jeremy. That sounds just like what I want to do. I had thought of assembling something with pagemaker and Adobe Premiere, but I think this would be so much easier with HTML.

So far, I can't get autorun to work though. I placed the autorun.inf file on the cd in the root directory and then all my html files in a folder. I edited the autorun file to point to the main index page but nothing happens when I insert the CD. Also, when I try and double click on the drive in my computer, it tells me that D:/ is not a valid Win32 application. Do I just need the autorun.inf file or is there another file I need to get this to work?

do you have it saying

open=index.html

or

open=start index.html

The second one should work, so long as the index is in the root of the cd-rom.

if that doesn't work, maybe try this instead of open:
    shellexecute=index.html

Beyond that I'm not sure what the problems would be.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhardin
    do you have it saying

open=index.html

or

open=start index.html

The second one should work, so long as the index is in the root of the cd-rom.

if that doesn't work, maybe try this instead of open:
    shellexecute=index.html

Beyond that I'm not sure what the problems would be.
    Na, "shellexecute" and "start" will only work on files with execution code (exe, bin, bat, ssh and a few others) AFAIK. The only way to make sure it really auto-opens is to have some tiny exe-file on the disc or point to the rundll. Something like:

rundll32.exe -run htmlprotocolhandler c:/dir/file.exe

I'm not sure about the exact syntax, but it surely can be found some place. Anyway, a Flash/ Director executable would perhaps be the way to go as you can create a working OSX derivative even from a Windows program.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

Mylenium, html is one of those exceptions that does work.

Jeremy, I put the following in my Autorun.inf file:

[autorun]
    open=HTML\index.html

The html files/pictures are in a folder labled HTML and the main splash html page is called index.html.

I should try adding the start but I'm out of CD-R's right now. I'll try it as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help thus far.

You can also set up an introductory movie in your flash file, then just call that via the Autorun.inf file. This way you don't have to mess with HTML and the user's browser doesn't pop up. Assuming that you're using Flash to build the content, of course.
    - I don't mean to be flippant or to enrage you or anything, but you're a psychotic man.
    - I know.
    - A very nice psychotic man.
    - Thank you.