View Poll Results: Which of the 7 do you prefer.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll

21 31.34%

4 5.97%

11 16.42%

6 8.96%

0 0%

4 5.97%

14 20.90%
  • none of the above. Please explain inside thread.

7 10.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UI Design Feedback Poll

I wouldn't mind the tabs and checkboxes being dressed up a little, but I definitely prefer like the look of the switcher and other "hardware" buttons on 1.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by nevmoor
    Funny no one commented on the VT5 INFERENCE WITH:
    how soon??
    Is it ready ??
    what about HD??
    forget the stupid interface etc...
    Maybe the y havent had the chance to look and post yet!!!
    how soon?? Probably when its finished, eh?
    Is it ready ?? Since they are asking for input on the design of the next version, I would fathom a guess it isn't.
    what about HD?? What's that ?
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

If I'm honest, all of the above look a little crude, take a look at any of Apple's Pro apps and copy that!

Motion is a good example!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Had a little play, didn't finish it though ... (might be a little too dark too, but you get the idea!)
    Last edited by Matt; 02-08-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Count me in on the ability to pick my own colors. It may be my old eyes or bad monitors or both, but I want the ability to get a little more contrast between the "written" info and the background. For that reason, I like #7 but prefer #1 layout. Thanks for this opportunity to provide input! Another reason you guys are great!
    Last edited by tfrank; 02-08-2006 at 03:03 PM.

I like the essence of #1 Keep it simple. - Especially the colors, I'm not a big fan of the deep "3D" shading on buttons. But keep it darker - everything else in our control room is black or dark gray, we spent a lot of money on that.
    However I like that (really) *slight* roundness of 6 to smooth of those hard corners.

But keep the switcher buttons looking like hardware. I sit down by a switcher, software or not, I expect it to look like a switcher. That's what my brain expects.

Though if you are dooing a re skin, can you make the swicher tally buttons red - or better yet, dual color (for high and low tally) depending on status (meaning yellow AND red buttons for the preview and key rows) - but only 2 colors, the little mutlicolord tallies in teh source IDs and BOB are fine, but on the panel 2 colors are enough. Yellow = selected, Red = On Air

The blue "lights" are fine for all the settings and "computer" bits, but for video tally; red for on air, and yellow for selected/preview are the colors.

Would it be possible to have shading be 100% influential? Right now it just chagning the base gray is good, but as we can choose any color in the picker anyway, how about have shading actually give us the color we throw at it instead of onjust "tinting" the base gray?

- Mikko
    Last edited by mikkowilson; 02-08-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson
    But keep the switcher buttons looking like hardware. I sit down by a switcher, software or not, I expect it to look like a switcher. That's what my brain expects.
    I keep going back and forth on that in my head too. I like the idea of switcher input selection buttons really looking like a switcher and keeping them looking like something different. But part of me also likes the slicker, cleaner look of the other buttons.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Had a little play, didn't finish it though ... (might be a little too dark too, but you get the idea!)
    Wow.

I really appreciate the effort anyone who makes mockups here goes to. These are really helpful and inspiring. It is great to get creative suggestions !

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by nevmoor
    Funny no one commented on the VT5 INFERENCE WITH:
    how soon??
    Is it ready ??
    what about HD??
    forget the stupid interface etc...
    Maybe the y havent had the chance to look and post yet!!!
    The interface is an integral part of any user experience, and we are trying to solicit end user opinion on what might give the clearest presentation of the information. This is no reflection on what the next version of the product might do. However, one might want to deduce something from the fact that we have been taking quite a bit of time recently trying to determine what users most want to see in the product; it is unlikely for us to ask that and then ignore it entirely

Andrew

I take my VT with 2 lumps JReble's Avatar
    Whatever a new interface looks like, it should take into account the ability to shade it with whatever color an end user wants. Since we can do that now with the color picker, the best new GUI design would provide clear edge frames, contrasting shades for on/off, and clear identifyers for everything. That way whatever color we choose for a particular interface will still be very usable. The particular tone of grey is irrelevant to me since I always drop my own colors into my interfaces to suit my layout best.

Quote Originally Posted by ACross
    Wow.

I really appreciate the effort anyone who makes mockups here goes to. These are really helpful and inspiring. It is great to get creative suggestions !

Andrew

Not to be left out, here's something I whipped up over lunch. Please feel free to make any 'changes' that you deem necessary:

Quote Originally Posted by PeteF
    Not to be left out, here's something I whipped up over lunch. Please feel free to make any 'changes' that you deem necessary:
    What does the HDV tab do ?

I don't know, I keep clicking on it and it does nothing... uhg, hmmmph, grunt, almost there.... Nothing.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have used a crayon...

What does the HDV tab do ?
    Now thats good humor!

er, I hope

Rich O.

My sarcasm is under appreciated

I love you guys!!

I was attempting to bring these statements up before any nay sayers jumped in to stomp on your attepmt to include us in the design process.
    I know that large companies can hire some folks to R&D their interfaces behind closed doors or conduct focus groups. I like the fact that you NT guys let us openly discuss the + and - of these things so that you don't waste cash paying to find out what really works.

I will continue to voice my opinion knowing that in some small way I can make VT better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast