View Poll Results: Which of the 7 do you prefer.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll

21 31.34%

4 5.97%

11 16.42%

6 8.96%

0 0%

4 5.97%

14 20.90%
  • none of the above. Please explain inside thread.

7 10.45%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UI Design Feedback Poll

UI Design Feedback Poll

We are looking to slightly change the look at feel of VT for the next version. In the attached image there are 7 designs to look over. I know the image is large, so you will need to scroll. Vote for your favorite of the 7.

Some important things to bear in mind while voting :

- Clarity and readability are everything. Which UI explains to you best what specific buttons might to and leads your eyes best to the actual important information without extra clutter.

- Try to use the 4 foot test ... Stand slightly back and see what happens to generate readability of the UI. It is not just about aesthetics, but long term usability. Scrunch your eyes up and look at it somewhat blurred.

- Try to imagine using the UI, 10 hours a day. Which one is going to remain the clearest and result in the least fatigue.

As much as I like to change things... I voted for number one. It is simple, clean, easy to read and professional. With that said... numbers 6 & 7 feel a little friendlier and welcoming for new users. If the button shading was toned down a bit and the radio/checkbox buttons were in a container like VT[4] it might change my mind.

Kris

Idea

Maybe like this?

Kris

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Personally, I like the font and readability of #6, but am not crazy about the color.

Quote Originally Posted by kltv
    Maybe like this?

Kris
    I like that !

The VT4 skin certainly does need an update, but I don't care much for any of those. Personally, I'd like to see a more standard "Windows Explorer" look, but I'm plain like that.

I think a lighter, more updated look like #6 would go a long way in giving the VT4 a fresh new look (think Mac style here).

Overall, I don't care for the dark grey look. It's too bleak to stare at 10hrs a day.

User-customizable skins would be great. I'm sure the community could come up with some really nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stevestrike
    The VT4 skin certainly does need an update, but I don't care much for any of those. Personally, I'd like to see a more standard "Windows Explorer" look, but I'm plain like that.
    Actually #6 and #7 where modelled on the new Vista look.

I like 6.5 or something along those lines.
    A bit more muted tone but grey. Man why always
    grey..
    Maybe darker blue?

Bob
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Quote Originally Posted by stevestrike
    Overall, I don't care for the dark grey look. It's too bleak to stare at 10hrs a day.

User-customizable skins would be great. I'm sure the community could come up with some really nice ones.

Dark neutral grays tend to be a good choice for menus and interfaces when you are dealing with video and graphics. They don't taint your perception of the colors of the images. Final Cut Pro and Avid interfaces are just about the same grays. After Effects 7 introduced a cool new feature that lets users adjust the brightness of the UI to their taste with a simple slider. I set mine to a darkness a little less than the defaults (similar to the VT grays.) Maybe something like that would work to make everybody happy? Sort of like the skin tinting that is in place now?

Of course, you can build your own skin now. It just takes a little Photoshop work and you can make it look however you want.

Kris

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    I chose 1
    but I like the layout of 6
    so why choose 1?

make the selected buttons in 6 brighter like 1 and I would go for 6

they would be easier to see at a glance what is checked.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Anybody have any screen grabs of the Tricaster interface. I like the look and feel of it.

Kevin Washington

I would like it if I could click on a drop-down button and hold the mouse down while scrolling through the options, etc.
    Basically, I find myself training people how to use the interface when there's no reason it shouldn't be just like Word. Microsoft invests $$$$ into GUI research and I don't see any reason to reinvent. It may look more impressive to show a client the foreign interface, but I'd rather show the client Results than a big camera and fancy gui.

I want icons, shortcut keys, underlined Alt-keys, and multi-tiered menus.

And I would LOVE to know what the VT is actually thinking ALL the time (ie. progress meters, swirly icon, and "opening project, clip 1 of 390, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by cybis
    Basically, I find myself training people how to use the interface when there's no reason it shouldn't be just like Word. Microsoft invests $$$$ into GUI research and I don't see any reason to reinvent.
    I want icons, shortcut keys, underlined Alt-keys, and multi-tiered menus.
    ++ Yes, please!

In response to above, I guess my problem with darker colors is that I'm not a fan of working with dark background and light text. I much prefer a lighter background that works with black text. I do like the looks based on the Vista interface, but I really like the switcher buttons in #1 because they match the RS-8, which is sitting right in front of me. That makes it easy for my brain to associate what the buttons do without even thinking about it.

I picked 2, but wanted to go with 6. 6 is just a little to bright. Felt that 2 was a little like the old style with a touch of facelift. I like the version ktlv did. It is kind of 2+6.

Funny no one commented on the VT5 INFERENCE WITH:
    how soon??
    Is it ready ??
    what about HD??
    forget the stupid interface etc...
    Maybe the y havent had the chance to look and post yet!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast