Thread: Tmpeg

Tmpeg

Yet another newbie question, I never edit with TED, apple only, but I read up on some features, what exactly is TMPEG? I dont get it, I hear people talking about rendering files with it. I want to export 16x9 and I hear TMPEG will do it? Where do I get it?

Thanks,
    Luke

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    This will give you some info on it. I think the 2.5 version that most of us use is now free, but I'm not sure.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

It's free for non-commercial use, but please pay for it if you make money with it.

It's incredibly cheap and the best MPEG2 encoder I've seen. You'll probably spend more on test DVD blanks in a year than the encoder.

It's WELL worth the money.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Ah, I'm not sure WHO you're saying to pay...

See, when I bought it, it was a product you paid for...

But from looking at the website last night, I didn't see any way to currently buy TMPGEnc 2.5. So I figure they may have released it free, including the MPEG-2 encoding, since the TMPGEnc Express 3.0 is their paid version, currently.

And frankly, I can't recommend that product.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html
    (that's their retail site)

You have to read the licensing info to find out it isn't for commercial use unless you pay for it.

They are definitely relying on the honor system a little too much.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

I believe the free demo is also time capped to 30 days use.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Oh, there you go, that's where you buy it.

Definately buy it, it's worth it.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I just want to thank NT for including the 3rd party file that lets me render via TMPEG without first rendering the project as a AVI in SE and then rendering again in TMPEG. I just recently discovered the short cut for rendering a project via TMPEG from a SE project, cutting out a whole rendering cycle. I discovered it by reading through the PDF file of how to use SE. Wow, what a great time saver. I wonder what other secrets I'll find.
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

Amazing what you can learn when you read the manual :-)

Really, a lot of thought and effort went into it, but I think it's often overlooked because SpeedEdit is intuitive enough that folks sit down and start editing without reading the manual. Features and capabilities that aren't as intuitive end up undiscovered.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

I couldn't agree more. The basics are so easily understood without a manual, especially if youv'e been using NT since the beta days of the Amiga Toaster/Flyer days like myself. However to be honestly critical as well, it doesn't help to include a thin small 'quick start" manual in the package and require the users to search for the more detailed maual. I found the detailed PDF manual on line. Back in the "olden days" when a thick printed maual was shipped I would take the time to play AND read. I certaininly understand in these days of electronic manuals it saves on printing and shipping cost, but the full manual should be on a disc easily found. If it's on one of my software disc I can't find it.

Again very happy, a complaint and an observation.

Does anyone know if the newest HD version of TMPEG works the same way leting the short cut of rendering HD directly via TMPEG without having to render in SE then again in TMPEG?
    Last edited by VisionTecVideo; 10-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

Manuals for NewTek products, even back when they included hard copy, are typically found in the application folder, and linked from the Windows Start or program Help menus.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")