Thread: LW animation output & live action video

LW animation output & live action video

Hi guy's, I'm in the process of making an animation that's going to be combined with live action video. What's the best way to go about it?

Do I need to render the animation out to individual still images or maybe have a blue backdrop?

Kuzey

depending on who is doing the requirements, you may or may not *need* to render to individual frames, although that is usually the better route (eg ability to resume rendering, no need for codecs, etc).

as for the blue backdrop: no. render out black and use the embedded alpha that LW generates as a matte for the CG when it is composited to the live action plate. interpret the CG render as premultiplied (since LW renders are pre-mut) and you'll get rid of the matte lines that usually accompanies it.

you can also render against a backdrop with the clip you are using (you wont need to premut your renders, although you still need to apply the alpha as a matte).
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

ummm.... you know there are books that try to cover this topic, asking for something like this on the forums is asking ALOT. lol

and yeah individual frames is a good start.

Thanks,

Yeah...I just want to make sure I'm starting off in the right direction.

Kuzey

I want to separate the character and it's shadow on the ground from the background.

Is that easy to do?

Thanks again,

Kuzey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey
    I want to separate the character and it's shadow on the ground from the background.

Is that easy to do?

Thanks again,

Kuzey

depends actually.... before anything create a shadow catcher. this is polygon that will receive the shadow.

for a super simple shadow (black shadow), set the shadowCatcher's color to pure black.. in the Surface Editor > Advanced tab > Alpha Channel = Shadow Density. render this out for your shadow pass. the shadow is in the alpha layer, so be sure to set that correctly when you're compositing.

be aware that if you have other objects in the scene, you have to set their alpha channels (via Object Properites, NOT surface properties) so as not show up in the Alpha Channel of the shadow pass.

btw, the LW8 manual has a basic shadow compositing tutorial. page 1455.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Hi Kuzey,

I don't know if it's relevent to your project, but you might want to take a look at PFHoe from Pixel Farm- it's a really affordable motion tracking tool that lets you integrate live action with CG. I haven't used it but 3D world magazine gave it a good review.

Thanks guys, I seemed to got it working

Kuzey