Thread: Do You output 16x9 to DVD often? help

Do You output 16x9 to DVD often? help

I really hope that someone out there can help me with this one. I called NewTek Technical Service and they just gave me the standard "that's a Ulead question, call them" answer.

I have VT4 edit file that I have shot entirely in 16x9 format. When I import the project into DVD Workshop. It doesn't let me set the aspect ratio of the project to 16x9 (by right clicking on the movie and setting my output prefs). The option is faded back in the pop up window. However, I can import a rendered AVI and choose stretch in the same window and the movie will stretch to fit the movie window that I have set to 16x9. I know that this can't be the "professional" way to do this. I am creating this DVD now but it seems like a very "ghetto" way of doing it.

To you DVD wizards out there.. WHat is your best technique for creating a 16x9 DVD out of VT4 that retains the best quality picture?

Chris
    c finetti

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Encode it in TMPGEnc as a 16:9 MPEG-2. Then bring that into DVD WS 2. The quality is way above what you would get encoding in DVD WS 2 anyway.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

You can also render it from VTEdit as a DV file, checking the 16x9 flag in the settings for the codec. DVDWS will automatically recognize this and encode it with the 16x9 flag so that DVD players will show it letterboxed, or wide screen, depending on their preferences setting.

Given the option though, encoding with TMPEg will give a better quality image.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    Encode it in TMPGEnc as a 16:9 MPEG-2. Then bring that into DVD WS 2. The quality is way above what you would get encoding in DVD WS 2 anyway.
    Will DVD WS recompile it or just make the DVD? Is this pretty self-explanatory once you get in the app?

Chris
    c finetti

Well, you have to tell DVD WS 2 NOT to reencode it.

No, it's not self-explanitory. TMPGEnc encoding is an art.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail and I'll send you my old guide on VT to TMPGEnc to DVD WS.

scorpioprod.at.earthlink.net
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Just did it through TMPG and it looks great. The Image looks perfect but the audio never made it to the DVD through DVD Workshop. Any insight?

Chris
    c finetti

Render your audio for the project directly from VT-Edit. Render it out as a stereo, 16-bit, 48KHz wav. Set the audio offset in the render panel for -12dB, assuming you used the real 0dB mark in the VT-Edit meters for your zero reference level.

Then you bring the wav into DVD WS 2 through the audio tab. You need to set up an encoding profile in DVD WS 2 to encode the audio as Dolby Digital (AC-3) at 192kb/s. The settings for the video encode don't matter, since you're not having it do the video encode. Then under the audio tab where you brought in the audio to go with the video, you check the box for "convert to template" for the audio. I also recommend setting the audio level at 80% there. (By not checking the "convert to template" under the video tab, your video isn't re-encoded.)

Try that.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I just got to the same problem. - I allready posted in the other thread, but this one seems ot be getting the discussion...

However I'm trying to work with dv.AVIs from VT[4.6b] that where recorded from our live show. The "set 16:9 flag" option is checked in VT when recording, however VT is still making 4:3 files. And of course Ulead won't let me change the flag.

- Mikko