Thread: Fade audio when dissolving from DDR

Fade audio when dissolving from DDR

I use DDRs for video playbacks - I keep the ddr set to "Project", Cue In turned on, Cue Out turned off.

Is there a way to either...

1) Make the audio of the video clip fade in conjunction with a dissolve (using either "Auto" or the T-Bar)

or

2) Set the Video/Audio clip to keep playing even after the dissolve is complete?

I got bitten yesterday because I had to dump out of a clip early, and I didn't coordinate completely with my Front of House and Recording Studio audio operators... they weren't done manually fading the feed I was sending from the DDR before I dissolved the video... giving us a pretty nasty audio cut. It could be solved by timing it better, but I'd like to take more concrete measures.
    Jamie Sanfilippo
    Programming Pastor
    The Meeting House

[email protected]

A checkbox with an adjustable time value for fade up/down audio on pause/play for the DDR would definitely be a good feature to add.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Use Follow Audio in the Audio mixer and the presets to prevent this problem from happening again. I never put all the control in the Sound Guys hands.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I second Jef. I went through our live set up and programed different presets for most of the normal activities so that I didn't have to call audio cues everytime we needed to play something back. I alway use an auto transition so you get audio and video to fade in/out smooth

I set the house feed to always be up and then each playback source to a good level on its corresponding preset. That feature is great!!

So just turn "follow audio" on? Does it fade the audio in conjunction with the T-bar? So a half-dissolve will fade the audio halfway? So if I want the audio to fade for 4 seconds, I have to do a four second dissolve out of the DDR?
    Jamie Sanfilippo
    Programming Pastor
    The Meeting House

[email protected]

Regarding point 2 of the original post.
    I agree that it woudl be handy to be able to set "cue in" to only start the DDR, not stop it again. We do a lead in from where we disolve to our wide open camera and have the music bed from the load in continue underneath. Occasionaly we forget to un-arm "cue-in" and when we fade we then kill the audio bed. - Which sucks.

- Mikko

Quote Originally Posted by jsanfilippo
    So just turn "follow audio" on? Does it fade the audio in conjunction with the T-bar? So a half-dissolve will fade the audio halfway? So if I want the audio to fade for 4 seconds, I have to do a four second dissolve out of the DDR?

I have been on this before but with no easy way of doing a nice audio/video split with audio fading for.....lets say 4 sec

Here is the tread
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41101

chribba

Dsk

Sometimes I use the DSK for that. I take an animation into VT-Edit and dissolve or transition it out and leave the audio trailing behind with a slow fade out. Then I render out the animation with alpha and play it in the DSK. The animation will reveal live video and continue to play the audio until it runs out or I take the DSK off.

Kris

ktlv, Interesting approach. Thats a good way to add an alpha fade to anything. I might need to try that.

Newbie Member
    When we play clips, I first prepare the clip in VT-Edit and fade video and audio the way I want.
    We use a controlled DDR called CLIPS. This DDR is "followed" by the audio mixer for the sound levels. For a slower fade of audio after video, I just change the rate to "s" from "M".
    That way any clip that has sound goes into CLIPS and is automatically tied to Follow on audio mixer. Any clip that has no sound goes in our normal DDR that is not followed by audio mixer.

R