Thread: LW 9 Open Beta question

LW 9 Open Beta question

When LW 9 beta is available will it be both versions, 32bit and 64bit. I'm assuming so.

I believe someone stated that all versions will be released with 64bit at the same time as 32bit in the future, and 64bit will need beta testing just the same, so my guess would be yes.

I was wondering since few plugins work with the 64bit. I'll just have to try and test it with both. I'm really interested in some features with the camera etc.

Really, 64 bit first? odd descision, most users are still running 32. 64-bit shouldnīt be a standard before late 2007.
    Chris Burkert

ArchiPacked models

Quote Originally Posted by CB_3D
    Really, 64 bit first? odd descision, most users are still running 32. 64-bit shouldnīt be a standard before late 2007.
    Well, they are being developed in tandem from my understanding. That's just based on my interpretation of posts by NewTek staff here in the past couple months though. I could be wrong.

for what I believe...

I think that is using Intel's compiler to make their code on Windows Platform (and surely on Mac from now on). This gives them the advantage of having both outputs for both platforms, so bugs on 32 will be the same on 64 (only faster on memory needs LOL). There is way to give specific optimizations for both platforms (specifically on the math parts) so I guess both platforms will come out, and maybe they are working on a strategy for Mac, since things have changed a little bit and maybe for the best of all.
    It's not impossible, just unlikely.

The plan is to release all three platforms for open beta testing at the same time.
    Kurtis Harris - NewTek 3D Marketing

All statements to the effect of this parrot is still a going concern are from now on inoperative. This is an ex-parrot.

I am glad the 64 bit will be available at the same time. I use LW64 for about 90% of my modeling and rendering. (Except Screamernet use is more like 20% 64 bit and 80% 32 bit.)

In v8.5 there are a different set of bugs in LW64 vs LW32. Some things that work in LW64 don't work in LW32. The other way around as well.

In some cases a feature will work in either version as long as you don't use the scene file in the other version.

Unifying the code base may help this, but it could also close current options for working around some of the bugs that may make it through (even the most rigorous) testing process.

Bugs don't scare me, so bring on LW9!!

Good news Kurtis
    is there a date ?

OH **** yes, 64bit LW9?

OK, now thats what I am talkin about. Newtek will be keeping at the forefront the more they focus on 64bit anyways. Let them open the door and quit messing around with 32bit limitations and get on with having more high tech stuff with less constraints (huge bottleneck).

Just let me know when the public beta hits Kurtis and my Lw9 upgrade $$$ are coming your way.

-----------------
    KC

As soon as there is more information, including official release dates, we'll let you all know.
    Kurtis Harris - NewTek 3D Marketing

All statements to the effect of this parrot is still a going concern are from now on inoperative. This is an ex-parrot.

yeahhh !!!!