Thread: off the subject

Question off the subject

I just want to get an over all opinion of stock objects to be used in someones portfolio work. Should everything me made by that person. Or is out sourcing for objects an acceptable practice. How ever i am not saying that these objects would be the main objects in a scene. They might be fillers or something that is very difficult to model. I always here that one should focus on their strengths. Well lets say modeling is not a strong point but timing and motion is. Should that person labor over modeling or just find stock objects. I have heard many sides to this. I just want to find out what people think. Should a person focus only on what they are good at, or try to learn it all?

Absolutely nothing wrong with using stock objects as long as you don't imply you had anything to do with their creation, or make money on them without permission from the creator/owner.

Choose what to focus on by figuring out what you enjoy doing! If you don't know yet, try 'em all. Do a short film, or just do a shot from your favorite film, model, texture, animate and light it, and you'll start to get an idea. Just about no one is master of ALL, so don't think that you need to be.
    Last edited by toby; 01-08-2006 at 10:18 PM.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

If you wanted to go into lighting, people don't care if you can model an apple.

But if you are selling yourself as a "do-it-all" animator for independent work for smaller companies (logo work or small productions, for example), you may decide that it's in your own best interests to only show work that you've created. That way you won't get a request that is beyond your abilities to create.

The bottom line though is to just be up front about it all and make sure <B>your work</B> is the highlight of the demo and give credit where credit is due.

There's nothing wrong with using stock filler objects, especially since that is a practice that you may use in a project for a client any way.

I work at an architecture visualization studio and we had a person submit a portfolio that only contained samples he created through tutorials. This was a poor decision on this person since his portfolio did not demonsrtrate his grasp/creativity/knowledge of lightwave. It only showed that he know how to follow instructions.

The worse part of it is that he didnt tell us that they were all tutorials, I actually had recognized them as tutorials.

So one should focus only on what they are intrested in? So if someone was looking to being a texture artist they should focus on that and not modeling? I have just heard that one needs to be well rounded in all aspects to make it in cg? I am not sure i believe that? What do you guys think?

mjones, it really depends on what the demo reel is for. If you are an independent contractor looking for jobs, you will have to demonstrate an understanding of all elements involved in the process since you will be using all elements for your clients.

If you are applying for a job at a major studio, an understanding of the way the different skills are used will be helpful, but your reel should emphasize the one skill you want to focus on, since nobody does everything in a major studio. If you want a modelling position, you will want a reel that shows off the most amazing models you can muster, and they honestly won't care one iota whether you can light that model or compose a scene. A spinning model with detail shots would be sufficient, if the modelling is skilled enough. If you want to do character animation, the skills of the animator could be seen through a gellatenous blob that is made to show emotion every bit as much as an amazing model. Obviously if you want to show off rigging, you will require a model that can be rigged accordingly.

Bottom line is, your reel will need to reflect the role that you wish to obtain.

Thor basically said what I wanted to say. I just wanted to chip in my own little point here: Being diverse is good, but don't advertise your weaknesses. Usually when a company hires an employee, they're looking for something in particular for them to do. They want to feel 100% confident that you'll do that job adequately. A lot of the demo reels I've seen weren't aimed to accomodate this wish, rather they try to present themselves as the MVP of any company they work at.

I've seen quite a few demo reels where the submitter had demonstratable skills in one area, but soured the whole experience by demonstrating the weaknesses in their abilities. I believe, at least in the cases I'm thinking about here, that the artist was trying to prove they can do everything. Unfortunately, they ate up time that should have been used to say "Yes, I can do this job for you".

One example I'm thinking of featured an artist who had done some wonderful character designs and modelling. But for some reason, instead of focusing on the modelling and design, he threw the characters into some weakly animated scenes. I believe he was trying to make it teaser'ish to imply the characters were part of a movie or something. The result? I never really did get to see enough of the character models, and if that person was skilled with animation, he didn't demo it there. Sadly, it was not a very good demo reel, at least in the sense that if I were trying to hire either a character modeller or an animator, I wouldn't have had enough information to feel comfortable in hiring them.
    Go TEAM VAD!! \/

It's a tough one, how much to study what you're not interested in to support what you are interested in -

If you want to do texturing, you'll need to know how to work with UVs and some other modeling too, like smoothing. Same applies to the other fields. Also, unless you study for years or are really talented out of the gate, your first job will likely be a smaller studio, where artists don't specialize very much. You'd be expected to be able to do three to five different kinds of tasks ( but you probably wouldn't have to be 'great' at them ).

My best guess is that if you wanted to do texturing, you'd want to minor in modeling and lighting, and if you intend to do character work, rigging too - you'd want to be able to pose a character to see how your textures work in motion.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I agree with the tone of what has been said so far - using 100% all your own objects makes no more sense than writing all your own plugins.

If you are going to be doing this for a living then there is no point in spending a day modeling a prop you can buy for $10. In my own case I tend to use bought Poser characters because I can't do people!

But you do need to be clear on what you are adding, and why the client should use you. Though mainly amateur, I have had a few paid for jobs, including CD Covers. The big surprise for me was that some clients basically wanted someone who could talk to the printers, add the required logos and copyright and get things into CMYK!

As for tutorial material, well... I have also seen this done, and it does not make sense to me to show this stuff. Presumably if people are showing this, its work they feel you can do IN GENERAL. So to use the skills aquired to produce a related work of your own should be pretty straightforward. (I recall an example on these forums a few years back, where someone was presenting a castle modelled from a Dave Jerrard tutorial - if the skills had been absorbed it should have been a simple matter to apply them to a castle of different design).

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Is it basic practice for an animation program just to show you the basics and then your on your own. Basics as in modeling (using general shapes) texturing (procedurals) lighting (3point) basic timing. This stuff is shown and then it is up to you to figure out the rest. There was probably more there than i listed, but i am just curious what you have to say.

What type of animation program are you talking about?

I did not atend a film school if that is what your getting at. I went through a 3d program at a state university. I was just wondering how the rest of the world was taught this stuff.