Thread: Marching an army over terrain...

Marching an army over terrain...

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the effect i thought was going to be pretty simple. I'm using the technique for creating a crowd by linking an animated character to a particle emitter. This is fine for flat surfaces, but I want to march my men over a terrain object. I thought okay, Ill just make the terrain a collision object and add some gravity to hold the men down. Unfortunatly this makes the men flow like water or rolling balls. I want them to stick to the surface of the terrain but only have them move forwards due to the particle motion...

Does anyone know a good technique? Or even understand what I'm trying here?

I'm not sure with PFX i would have to check,

but their is a plugin called Vertigo, which will do exactly what you need.
    It will allow objects to walk, drive over terrains and keep it together..

Search Flay for Vertigo...

Thanx for that however there are some issues. I dont seem to be able to do it with PFX and so I have to clone a heap of walking models. Secondly it seems to be very slow. With just one walking model layout has slowed to a crawl, I can only assume what it might be like with 30+ models walking over the terrain. :\

Are there any other ideas around? I can work with vertigo, but Id prefer not to.

You could try HD_instance, it's $150 but would work.. Check out Shaun Bishops tutorial which covers exactly what you want..

Rich

Ahh yes. I do remember seeing this tutorial a while back and spent a lot of time searching for it but never found it. I'm glad someone directed me to it. However $150 seems a bit much for something I was doing just to fill in time. However I will look into it. Thanks for the help guys.

maybe bugz can help you...

Are you mdscanning your object? The technique you describe was used to do many of the crowd scenes for The Last Samurai even over some uneven terrain.