Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave Newsletter - November 2005

LightWave Newsletter - November 2005

The newest volume of the LightWave Newsletter has been posted to the site at:
    http://www.lightwave3d.com/newsletters/v2-n10
    Kurtis Harris - NewTek 3D Marketing

All statements to the effect of this parrot is still a going concern are from now on inoperative. This is an ex-parrot.

Is the feature list updated?

I see it says that Lightwave 9 is coming soon. Well, I wanted some clarification on the word soon so here is what online Websters had to say:

Definition: Soon
    Soon
    Adverb
    1. In the near future; "the doctor will soon be here"; "the book will appear shortly"; "she will arrive presently"; "we should have news before long"; "Lightwave 9 coming soon".

(Ok, I added that last one). That sounds good, right?

it's been updated a little at least. it confirms the ability to weight in layout:
    • Many modeling operations now available in Layout
    • Vertex maps and Weight maps can now be created and edited with Layout
    • Major workflow improvements
    • Character rigging is much simplified

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhardin
    it's been updated a little at least. it confirms the ability to weight in layout:

Hmmm, if nothing changed it's just a Layout version of VertexPaint. At least that's what I saw in one of the Siggraph movies. So I'm not expecting too much from that statement.

I prefer the word "SOON" .. than a "real" date number.

Than keep working, please no date or period annoucement... it's better this way.

Just a very stable version with less bugs ( went back to 8.3 ... disappointed by v. 8.5, too much bugs (for me and my needs. It's my point of vue, of course ).

Even if it's for next year, it's ok !
    Or is it to push people to update with the 8.5+vue bundle before the offer end ?

ps: please, more user profile !

thanks
    Cheers!
    Operation
    Mourad K.

www.mouradkechar.com

What's "Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces" all about? Is that in addition to what's already there or maybe this algorithm replaces the current one for sub-d's? Is it better than what we already have or just a different choice?

David

Catmull-Clark SubD's are true "industry standard" subdivision surfaces, developed by Pixar. My understanding of the current LW SubD's is that they're very loosely based on the Catmull-Clark concept but are not a true incarnation of them - hence the them being called SubPatches.

Catmull-Clark SubD's are far more sophisticated than the native LW SubPatch. They offer full or partial mesh subdivision at various levels, ngons, creasing, etc. Hopefully the forthcoming Catmull-Clark support in LW will be a full implementation of Catmull-Clark SubD's.

Most of the apps which support SubD's use Catmull-Clark (XSI, Maya, Modo, etc..). It'll be interesting to see if we can export a SubD mesh from LW and have it properly import into Maya or XSI - in theory, if LW uses true CC SubD's then the mesh will look identical at the same subdivision level in both apps.

hope that makes sense, or even helps.

harlan
    harley

"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."

how 'bout this one?
    Quaternion Rotations

A new rotation controller offers quaternion rotations to minimize gimbal lock.
    Are these the same type of rotations that we have in XSI (can be viewport, local, global, etc)? If not, what are Quaternion Rotations?

*feels stupid for not knowing, but asks anyway*

While it may not seem significant that NewTek is incorporating true Catmull-Clark SubD's into 9; hopefully it's a sign of them becoming more compliant with Industry Standards rather than trying to create their own variation of everything.

One of my biggest complaints about LW has been it's 'ignoring' of standards in favor of creating their own proprietary method of accomplishing tasks.

Standards compliance... bring it on!!!

Who knows, maybe someday we'll even see a standards based physics/dynamics system implemented into LW - like native support for Aegia, Syflex, ODE or something.
    harley

"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."

I agree with harlan.
    i mean, what the heck is ikbooster all about in all honesty??
    Was kinda hoping it would get scraped... and... re-approached ?

They should overhaul, simplify, streamline and integrate the whole character setup and animation process.
    IKB should behave style guide conform to LW's other tools.
    Dunno, IKB looks like a secretly developped plugin by some japanese developer, that was fiddled into Layout.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Quote Originally Posted by toonafish
    Hmmm, if nothing changed it's just a Layout version of VertexPaint.
    Well, not precisely. It's just plain Vertex Paint. Same as runs in Modeler, not a "Layout Version." A number of other Modeler plugins will be working in Layout as of v9, as well as some mesh editing capabilities.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by harlan
    While it may not seem significant that NewTek is incorporating true Catmull-Clark SubD's into 9; hopefully it's a sign of them becoming more compliant with Industry Standards rather than trying to create their own variation of everything.

One of my biggest complaints about LW has been it's 'ignoring' of standards in favor of creating their own proprietary method of accomplishing tasks.

Standards compliance... bring it on!!!

Who knows, maybe someday we'll even see a standards based physics/dynamics system implemented into LW - like native support for Aegia, Syflex, ODE or something.

Yes, there have been occasions when we've been guilty of re-inventing a wheel when there were already standard implementations it might have been wisest to follow; on the other hand, relative to other commercial packages, sometimes we were getting there first with a feature set, subdivision surfaces being one example; the other high-end packages then came along with the features, and yes, in many cases a standard was then set that we didn't match. It is one of the goals to address those departures from current realities as we redesign the application for v9 and beyond. In most cases, I think we'll be able to preserve compatibility with our own past as we create compatibility with the de facto standards. In some cases, that may not be possible or best for the future, and so some past compatibility may have to be given up.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Yes, there have been occasions when we've been guilty of re-inventing a wheel when there were already standard implementations it might have been wisest to follow; on the other hand, relative to other commercial packages, sometimes we were getting there first with a feature set, subdivision surfaces being one example; the other high-end packages then came along with the features, and yes, in many cases a standard was then set that we didn't match. It is one of the goals to address those departures from current realities as we redesign the application for v9 and beyond. In most cases, I think we'll be able to preserve compatibility with our own past as we create compatibility with the de facto standards. In some cases, that may not be possible or best for the future, and so some past compatibility may have to be given up.
    HI Chuck,

That sounds to me that maybe a feature that we have now will not work in the future with the old models/scenes?

I will not complain if it is for better workflow, and I understand you and all the dev team are doing your best to do not let that happens!

Cheers, David

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast