Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is there going to be a bug fixing version for 8.5 or are we to wait for 9

is there going to be a bug fixing version for 8.5 or are we to wait for 9

well its all in the subject

My guess is, if there was a 7.5d then there will probably be a 8.5b.
    Most likely it'll arrive post-[9], though.

Dan
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

no b, i hated the abcd style, i prefer the 8.51

I don't give a monkeys cuss what they call it so long as we get it.

Just want to lend my support to the idea of as many 8.5x patches as necessary. The Bug Workshop threads have shown just how effective a testing team the LW comminity at large can be. I'm perfectly happy to wait for 9 until the 8 series is rock-solid.

JC

it took v.8 about 3 tries to get it working , spanning a year and a half.
    than version 9's perfect form would be out in about 2.5 years .

Quote Originally Posted by dogbite
    it took v.8 about 3 tries to get it working , spanning a year and a half.
    than version 9's perfect form would be out in about 2.5 years .
    Actually, LightWave [8] was a stable working platform from 8.0. It did not take the additional updates to "get it working," we did them to improve on an already solid product with new features and even more stability. Our research with the userbase confirms this, with well over 80% finding 8.0 as stable or more so than any preceding version. Our plan is to release v9 as an advancement in stability over v8.5, in addition to the array of new features and improved workflow.

To address the original question and some of the subsequent comments, the release of an update to the previous series after a new ordinal series had been released was an exceptional action, and the LightWave management team has not indicated that this is something that would become standard procedure. So far the team has not mentioned plans for any other releases between 8.5 and v9.0.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Well there it is. Buy V 9.0, live with 8.5 bugs, or go back to 8.3.

At least we know now.

Quote Originally Posted by mkiii
    Well there it is. Buy V 9.0, live with 8.5 bugs, or go back to 8.3.

At least we know now.
    The list of issues that are fixed in 8.5 vs 8.3 would recommend against that. What issues were introduced in 8.5 that didn't exist in 8.3 and would lead you to suggest reverting?

To speak a little more to the topic of 7.5D, we're the only 3D developer (and maybe any software developer) I'm aware of that's ever updated a previous ordinal version after releasing a new ordinal series. We didn't expect to release it after 8.0, but things worked out that way. We weren't trying to set a trend with that, but we had promised it, and we keep our promises.

It's also worth considering that not even bug fixes are free with several of our major competitors. If you want maintenance upgrades, you pay the annual maintenance fee or you pay for the incremental upgrade when it is issued. With those folks the cost on maintenance can be several times what we charge for an ordinal update, and even buying an incremental update can exceed what we charge for an ordinal. By contrast, those who have purchased LightWave [8] have received five free updates to the product, and each of those has addressed a substantial number of existing issues as well as added a few new features. The Dev Team has also done it's best to avoid adding any new issues with an update, particularly within whatever features are new.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

yes 8.0 was stable, with the program crashing only 6 days of the week.
    im still scared to move the mouse when lightwave is in loading process.
    i started using lightwave becuase of crashes, i used 3dsmax way back and i was happy when the program didnt crash when opening.

and we do love the updates, thats the part to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by dogbite
    yes 8.0 was stable, with the program crashing only 6 days of the week.
    im still scared to move the mouse when lightwave is in loading process.
    i started using lightwave becuase of crashes, i used 3dsmax way back and i was happy when the program didnt crash when opening.

and we do love the updates, thats the part to look for.
    Did you contact support via NewTek or your regional distributor, NewTek Europe? The instability that you report is not the typical customer experience, and support can assist in identifying the causes of such unusual instability and help resolve them.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    What issues were introduced in 8.5 that didn't exist in 8.3 and would lead you to suggest reverting?
    The transparency in modeller openGL... But i guess it won't be sorted now. And maybe it did turn out to be a driver issue, but it still does it on mine with the latest drivers.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

I AM THE Action_Bob
    The list of issues that are fixed in 8.5 vs 8.3 would recommend against that. What issues were introduced in 8.5 that didn't exist in 8.3 and would lead you to suggest reverting?

I, also suffer from the transparency issues in Modeler. We are not alone either. There are a number of users who have reported problems with this issue. Maybe a lot of people don't have transparent polys on their models, but there are a lot of us out here that do. This is not some obscure hardly-used plug-in either. This issue affects how we interact with modeler. 8.3 did not suffer from these display issues on my machine and I have a good graphics card with the latest drivers.

eVGA geForce 6800.

-Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros
    The transparency in modeller openGL... But i guess it won't be sorted now. And maybe it did turn out to be a driver issue, but it still does it on mine with the latest drivers.
    Yes Chuck.

This is also my main concern, along with the UV mapping problems (points left over after editing on UV map), and the random selection of polygons that lie behind the viewport on complex objects.

All these have been reported. The last 2 bugs have been around for quite a while now without being fixed in any of the updates so far.

Regardless of other bug fixes, the only way to get rid of the transparancy issue, and not have the bugs that stopped me loading some more complex models is to swap the 8.5 modeler.exe for the 8.0 modeler.exe.

I hate to sound ungrateful, but if free updates do not address any of the long standing bugs (UV problems), and introduce new bugs that make the app almost unusable, then they are not worth bothering with, and don't fill me with confidence that paying for 9.0 is going to solve them either.

I don't want to drop lightwave, but since modelling & texturing is my main use for it, and these aspects of the app for me at least are getting progressively more broken with each update, then I may be forced to.
    Last edited by mkiii; 11-13-2005 at 04:43 AM.

... So far the team has not mentioned plans for any other releases between 8.5 and v9.0.
    the 2 bigest thing that would need to be fix in 8.5b would be the transparency bug in modeller, and the memory managment which is worse
    in 8.5 than 8.3. (details in bug workshop)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast