Thread: Vertical Interfearence on Component Input

Vertical Interfearence on Component Input

When using a Component video input into our BOB from a Sony DSR390P Camera we get evenly spaced vertical interference pattern on the input/output. We dont have problems when feeding the cameras into any other component vision mixer, and dont have a problem with any other component source into the toaster (i.e. Betacam Decks).

The interference seem to have a frequency of about 640Khz, we have put a scope on the output of the camera, and its definatly not there, and seems to be generated by the toaster.

We have two toaster systems and its EXACTLY the same on both.

Any Ideas?

Keith A Goodyer
    J13 Broadcast
    Milton Keynes
    England

TC User Group
    Does it appear as a luma shift? If so you can go into the Proc Amps advanced settings and fix it. I think it's called the Luma Comb Filter or something.

Ivan

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA

Hi Keith I have sent you a personal message re this but it is aliassing.
    As you are in the UK if you want to give me a ring I may be able to help
    Mark

Same Problem here!

I have Sony DSR390s with D50 CCUs, and am having the EXACT same issue! It's not in the cameras, and it's not on any other component source!

I read the suggested threads, and the following looks like it would work

Quote Originally Posted by busseyjc
    I am working on this problem with Jim. After a month of trouble shooting and wondering if I had made a mistake purchasing the Newtek VT4 system with our Sony DSR390L cameras we have found a solution. I have had to add lowpass delay matched filters into all three of the component input lines. Since the delay delta between the three (YUV) signals can only be 10 to 12 nanoseconds you must have an accurate delay line or a matched filter in each line. The delay in the filter is 570 nsec, alot of coax if you try to make your own. I purchased the filters from Allen Avionics for $250 ea. That is $750 per camera, $2200 for our 3 camera system alot of money.
    Has anyone found a cheaper solution?

Has Newtek addressed this yet????
    Last edited by jsanfilippo; 12-21-2005 at 11:27 AM.
    Jamie Sanfilippo
    Programming Pastor
    The Meeting House

[email protected]

Plum Moving Media
    Same here. Not sure what's been happening with this. We've found that plugging in a simultaneous Y/C input seems to minimize the problem, a little.

-Kevin Petajan
    ------------------------------------
    Milwaukee, WI

I have same problem with Sony DSR-370, when I come with component inputs to VT4 I have vertical lines..so I must use S-Video cable....this is very sad!!!

Sascha

nimma neu
    This fancy lines even occured with a DVD-Player via component.
    This is one of the most annoying and silliest bugs for live switching.
    Itīs a shame and absurd, buying expensive technologie and botching the quality with fbas!
    Sorry, but i`m really p***d off!

alex

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by alexxi
    This fancy lines even occured with a DVD-Player via component.
    This is one of the most annoying and silliest bugs for live switching.
    Itīs a shame and absurd, buying expensive technologie and botching the quality with fbas!
    Sorry, but i`m really p***d off!

alex
    It's been there since I first got my system 4 or 5 years ago.....
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Capillo
    It's been there since I first got my system 4 or 5 years ago.....
    Yes, it's there and it is aliasing problem. In fact, VT does not have correct low pass filters on input. I have this problem with SONY DSC 300, 500, 600 series, same with DSR and also with another editing card. YUV output of these devices is not perfectly clear, there are some residual high frequencies (>6MHz for Y and >3MHz for U,V) attenuated only by -30 -> -40dB. Because any other switchers have low-pass filters or use oversampling, there is no problem with them. But VT is responding to frequencies higher than half of sampling frequency and these residual signals combined with VT sampling frequency give you interference pattern. The only working solution is: Use good signal convertor YUV>SDI (but this can be use for one input only) or add low pass filter to each input (you can also use good signal convertor set to YUV>YUV). Both solutions are not cheap. One reason why VT is cheaper than other Pro devices is that VT lacks some important components.