Thread: Easier way to view new posts?

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar

Question Easier way to view new posts?

The new forums are cool, as is the new website. Go NewTek!

The first thing I always did in the old BB was view new messages in the forum I usually read (Video Toaster). This was easy to do; what is the equivalent for the new board?

The "View New Posts" link at the top of the main page is (IMO) not very useful as it lists all posts in all forums sorted by time (e.g. all mixed up).

It would (IMO) be more useful if the "View New Posts" link sorted new messages by forum first, section second, and time third (maybe I can do this myself, but I couldn't find a way to change the sort e.g. by clicking the appropriate column header). It would be even more useful if you could set up this link to just search the forums you're interested in. If this is impractical it would be nice if there were a "View New Posts" link at the top of each of the forums, which only searched that forum.

If this functionality already exists, thank you and let me know how to use it! Otherwise, maybe you could submit a feature request to the BB people.

Thanks! -MG

Subscribe to forums, and you'll be e-mails when there's a new post.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

i agree with ya mgrusin,

the other board's new messages button was a lot more useful, especially since it also listed the thread with first lines of the most recent responses... easier to see where the conversation was going.

oh well, i guess ya takes the good with the bad.

jin

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Regarding email notification, I'd prefer to read a single web page with new posts from forums I'm interested in, when I have time to read them, than get a barrage of email. And I haven't tried this yet - does the email include the content of the posts, or does it just point you to the thread? (The notifications I've gotten on this thread haven't included the actual replies, which is a bit annoying. That was another nice thing about the old system, the actual content in, and the ability to reply, via the email notification.)

Newtek, what I did daily with the old board, was pull up all new threads since I last visited in the forum group(s) I was interested in. The more I use the new board, the more alarmed I am that it does not include this functionality. The only alternatives I've found are manually intensive (manually searching through the "new posts" results, manually recursing through the forums that interest me, or manually entering the time of my last visit in the advanced search dialog. A mentor once told me: "you should never have to tell the computer something it already knows"). Even something as simple as sorting the "new posts" results by forum would be more usable. This board is (going to be) great for searching for specific information, but right now it's terrible for monitoring current discussions (which is huge for the VT, since it's evolving so fast)...

I'm not advocating going back the old board. And I also know that the board has only been officially live for two days . But Newtek, I really hope you can add that functionality (or tell me where it already is)!

Thanks -MG