Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strobing effect on rendered and dvd output.

strobing effect on rendered and dvd output.

Hi you all,

I'm getting a strobe or field effect on the video where there is motion on the rendered TV2 outout file.

I used the "DV Video w/ Interleaved DV Audio" codec with resolution "NTSC D1 Video".

It is more appearent when i encode the rendered video and create a dvd of the video.

Ironicilly, if i record the same rendered file to dvcam tape first then recapture it on the computer i use to make dvd's and reencode and make a dvd, the problem goes away!

Is this a field order problem?

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Nelson Maldonado
    Nelson Maldonado

N__A__D__O__S
    MULTIMEDIA SERVICES

....7 3 4-7 2 9-3 3 6 3

you should use the other DV codec that comes with T[2] or go and get the DV codec from Mainconcept.
    Have a Great Day

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Yeah, it definately would be a field order problem, but I'm not sure why you're getting it.

First of all, there are two types of DV encoding that comes with Windows: Type 1 and Type 2.

Type 1 is what you used. It should be avoided.

Type 2 would be the DV encoder with uncompressed PCM audio. This can work, but the MS encoder for both of these is vastly inferior to the Main Concept encoder.

You should go to www.mainconcept.com and buy their DV encoder. Install that, be sure to go to its configuration and unselect the "fastest" checkbox in the encoder section. Fastest==crap. The MainConcept DV encoder is Type 2, which is what you want for Toaster use.

Try that and you should be fine. Your field order in TMPGEnc for DV source clips should be Bottom Field First (Field B). (If you happen to be using the TMPGEnc encoder.)
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Ok, i'll try this other product.

But let me give you the big picture.

1 - i captured the video off my dsr20 using Scenalyzer.
    2 - edited using vt2 3890.
    3 - rendered out both dv compressed and uncompressed avi files.
    4 - transfered rendered files to canopus DVStorm2 system.
    5 - used premiere 6.5 canopus mpeg plugin to create mpeg file.
    6 - used DVDVirtuoso 2.8 to create the DVD.

Both DV type 1 and 2 produced the same problem.

I personally think the problem is either with the scenalyser capture or the field order in which a project is rendered using any codec in VT2.

Does VT2 let you change the field order of rendered files?
    Last edited by nelsonm; 05-07-2003 at 01:15 PM.
    Nelson Maldonado

N__A__D__O__S
    MULTIMEDIA SERVICES

....7 3 4-7 2 9-3 3 6 3

Does your project look right playing back out of ToasterEdit? If so, I think the capture problem is nixed. How are you getting the files into the Canopus system? File copies? If they are separate systems (2 computers), have you tried to capture the uncompressed output of the Toaster into the Canopus?
    Just some thoughts.
    Dan Hong
    http://www.gnoasis.com

Hi,

Yes, they are two systems.

Yes the VT2 output looks fine on both tvision and an external monitor as does the rendered dv file that i loaded back into ted, although once i played the rendered file through ted for my wife to see and it excibited the same problem as the dvd.

I tried feeding the ted output directly to the canopus system using both stormvideo and mediacruse thru analog and firewire to capture a avi and a mpeg2 file.

I even tried rendering the VT2 rendered file in premiere 6.5 then routing the video through firewire through my dsr20 then out to the canopus system via analog output of the dsr20.

I also tried copying the rendered VT2 file to the canopus system then use premiere to create the mpeg2 file.

The only way i have been able to produce a good dvd is to record the VT2 ted output to a dvcam tape on my drs20 then connection the dsr20 to the canopus system to capture the video either as an avi file through stormvideo then convert to mpeg2 though premiere or as an mpeg2 file using mediacruse.

there are no problems when i start and finish on the canopus system. It just takes a lot longer and i have to put up with premiere's usual quirks.
    Last edited by nelsonm; 05-07-2003 at 04:54 PM.
    Nelson Maldonado

N__A__D__O__S
    MULTIMEDIA SERVICES

....7 3 4-7 2 9-3 3 6 3

We (and many others) have had great success using the Tsunami MPEG encoder (TMpegEnc). It accepts the .rtv directly and does a fantasic job of encoding. Since you don't have to compress the file as a DV or AVI first, the mpeg2 that you get comes directly off of the uncompressed RTV file, which means that a) you get a much cleaner picture and b) since the original is uncompressed, the mpeg takes a lot less time to encode. The software is available for a demo and the full version is $50.

One last try at the Canopus...have you tried to push the DV file off of the Toaster firewire using DVapp?
    Dan Hong
    http://www.gnoasis.com

Yeah, I'm not clear why you're putting it into the Canopus system at all.

AFAIK, the proprietary Canopus codec based system will NOT play industry-standard DV files properly.

Perhaps this is what you have hit?
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Hi,

To Eugene,
    I transfer the edited material for dvd authoring to the canopus system because it has the mpeg2 encoder, dvd authoring program and dvd burner on it. It was my original system.

To Dan,
    No, i have not yet tried DVapp to transfer the rendered dv file to the canopus system via firewire.

I guess i should consider setting up my VT2 for DVD authoring and burning. Not the least of which to eliminate the extra conversion and transfer time.

Is the Tsunami MPEG encoder the only and best mpeg2 solution for the VT2?
    Nelson Maldonado

N__A__D__O__S
    MULTIMEDIA SERVICES

....7 3 4-7 2 9-3 3 6 3

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Is the Tsunami MPEG encoder the only and best mpeg2 solution for the VT2?
    It's totally independent of T2 (or any other NLE), and while it's not the only software solution, it is widely acknowledged as being at least one of the best encoders in it's price range. For what it does and the quality it produces it's an absolute steal at the price.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Not only do I feel TMPGEnc is the best MPEG encoder out there, but the simple fact that it will be the only MPEG encoder with direct plug-in support in VT[3] says a lot, too.

Not to mention that it already supports RTV clips with a plug-in right now.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

edmellnik

TMPGE Encoder

Eugene,
    How do you get MPEG 2 with 486 files and TMPGE?
    TMPGE seems to want only 480 files.

ed

Just Tryin' To Help...

Use Kirk's RTV Plugin

I'm not Eugene, but you need to use Kirk Monger's RTV plugin for TMPGEnc available at Faraz' ToasterSupport site. Just feed TMPGEnc a RTV file and it's corresponding .wav audio file and Kirk's plugin does whatever magic is needed.
    Last edited by Scott Bates; 05-09-2003 at 06:04 PM.

edmellnik

plug in

Yes I am using the plug in and when I use a 486 file I get an error message from TMPGE. If I re-encode to 480 everything is great.
    ed

Just Tryin' To Help...
    OK, you got me stumped Ed. I've looked through all the TMPGEnc settings and can't see anything obvious. Yes, the settings I use say 720x480, but it accepts 720x486 with no problems. I seem to remember Kirk went through a couple versions of the plugin, but don't remember if it was to address a problem like this. I wonder if maybe you've got an older version? Have you previously used 486 RTVs with no problems or have you always gotten the error? I'm sure Eugene will catch up with this thread eventually and probably has an answer neither of us is seeing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast