Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Particle emitter/Dynamic Object

Amazingly Lifelike

Particle emitter/Dynamic Object

I'm trying to add a simple particle emitter to a scene, but in my new LW 8.3 it is apparently now "Add Dynamic Object" which is currently ghosted on my menu. How do I activate it?

Try adding the plugins again. Especially the ones in \Plugins\lscripts\interface\layout

As these are the 'Add something' lscripts.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Amazingly Lifelike
    I've re-scanned the directory, it found 527 plug-ins, blah blah, but the Dynamic Objects still ghosted. I'll try adding the specific ones you noted and see if that does the trick...
    Nope... "add_emitter" still doesn't activate it for me...I'll try a re-start...
    Last edited by newsvixen8; 10-20-2005 at 07:07 AM.

Try resetting the menus to their default, or alternatively adding those specific items by hand, as LW might have 'forgotten' where they go in the menus..

Amazingly Lifelike
    Rats! Added plug-ins for emitter, collision, gravity, wind, etc., all manually, but even when I get the little window saying they were successfully added, Dynamic Object is still ghosted. The menu should still be in its default state, as this was a fresh install on a new hard drive. What am I missing?
    Strangely enough, it lets me install a partigon emitter through the FX Browser, but no simple particle emitter from Dynamic objects...
    Last edited by newsvixen8; 10-20-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Have you looked in the actual menu editor to see if they are there?

Amazingly Lifelike
    They do show up under plug-ins in the command menu of "Configure menus"

Newbie Member
    i had the same problem once and it was as dodgy said, you need to re add them from the menu edit window. Sorry i dont hav lightwave on this pc so i cant take u through the steps, perhaps someone else can.

Cheers

Amazingly Lifelike
    You guys were right, I needed to add them by changing the main menu rather than trying to add them manually as plug-ins. (Even when LW told me it had successfully added them, it hadn't.) Thanks, dudes, you're the best!

It had added them, it's just that plugins in LW don't necessarily know where to put themselves in the menus. So if they get lost, you just have to put them in the right place by hand.

Amazingly Lifelike
    So, I've just come back to this scene after a meeting, opened it up, Dynamic Objects still ghosted out. After I reconfigured the main menu and saved it, I would have thought it would know what to do. Is there another step I'm overlooking? I suppose it really doesn't matter, as the layout menu now has "Add Particle emitter," "Add Gravity," etc., as separate buttons underneath the ghosted Dynamics object. And they do work...
    Last edited by newsvixen8; 10-20-2005 at 10:44 AM.

You didn't drag them up so they are nested in the Dynamic Object sub menu. If you open the menu editor and go to that particular menu, just drag the Add emitter etc onto the Dynamic Object entry and they should become a submenu item.

Amazingly Lifelike
    As always, you are right... and I located another method as outlined by BeeVee on another thread, for anyone newly addressing this issue (it seems to be common..) He advised:

Sometimes LightWave can get instable or lose menu items, shortcuts or plug-ins because of conflicts in the configs. The best solution is to delete the ones you have and start afresh.

WARNING! This will kill any customisations you have made, so it's a good idea to use the editors to save menus and shortcuts.

1. Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
    2. Hit Alt F11 (or go into the Utilities Tab and click on the Edit Plug-Ins button) and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message like "xxx Plug-Ins found in xxx files.";
    3. Hit Alt F10 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Menu Layout) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
    4. Hit Alt F9 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Keyboard Shortcuts) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;

Quote Originally Posted by newsvixen8
    As always, you are right...
    Course I am

Quote Originally Posted by newsvixen8
    As always, you are right... and I located another method as outlined by BeeVee on another thread, for anyone newly addressing this issue (it seems to be common..) He advised:

Sometimes LightWave can get instable or lose menu items, shortcuts or plug-ins because of conflicts in the configs. The best solution is to delete the ones you have and start afresh.

WARNING! This will kill any customisations you have made, so it's a good idea to use the editors to save menus and shortcuts.

1. Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
    2. Hit Alt F11 (or go into the Utilities Tab and click on the Edit Plug-Ins button) and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message like "xxx Plug-Ins found in xxx files.";
    3. Hit Alt F10 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Menu Layout) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
    4. Hit Alt F9 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Keyboard Shortcuts) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
    Hooray!

I have been struggling with this problem for a while now. Thanks for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast