Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside lightwave 7

Newbie Member

Inside lightwave 7

Hi does anyone have the inside lightwave 7 book. If you have done the architect model you could really help.
    on page 325 it asks you to flatten the top of dome using the stretch tool. It says use 100% for horizontal factor and 65% on the vertical factor. It seems that when i do this it squashes the sides and doesnt flatten the top. I have followed the book step by step and was wondering if this is my fault in some way or if its the authors mistake. Does anyone know?? thanks, ben

I have worked though that book before and it is a good book, but in a couple of places the tuts dont make sence, you do what it says and it turns out wrong, i ended us just having to play around untill i got it looking right. I have just packed my inside 7 book as going overseas (to become a paid 3d animator) :-)
    so cant look at the problem you are having.

So my answer is just play till you have it how it looks in the book then move on to the next bit.

Newbie Member
    ok cheers for that so its not just me that had problems then. how did you go about becoming an animator then. Do you have any tips you could share about animation?

Does the book teach you enough so that you can go off on and model and animate on your own or not?

W8ing over .5 wks 2 long gregsduncan's Avatar
    Does the book teach you enough so that you can go off on and model and animate on your own or not?
    Just practice....lots of practice applying what you've learned from the book, and tutorials on Newtek website too and other places around the web.

Newbie Member
    Yeah loads and loads of practice, its a huge piece of software. Are you a capable user in lightwave.

What films has lightwave been involved in do you know at all?

Make sure you select just the points around the top of the dome first. Then stretch. Another way to go is to not worry about specific values too much - select the stretch tool and then just click and drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacco
    ok cheers for that so its not just me that had problems then. how did you go about becoming an animator then. Do you have any tips you could share about animation?

I dont think any one book is enough to teach you how to animate. This is my Lightwave story.
    When i first got Lightwave i grabbed the manuel and threw it over my shoulder and forgot about it. For the first couple of months i became an expert and making boxes and balls and making them fly around. Once i knew the interface better that is when i grabbed the manuel off the floor and started reading it to learn the tech side of the buttons. Once i had done that i found i could follow tuts better as you had a better idea of what they mean and where the buttons etc are. But i got board really quick of books and tuts so i decided to make a animated short film, that way i now have a goal to aim for so as i come across somthing i dont know how to do i work through a book or tut and then implemnt it in my animation. I found this the best way for me as i have results to show for my work.
    So i am self taught and when i saw a job for a animator i sent them some stills and animations and boom i have now turned my hobbie into a job and i now get paid to lightwave.

Yeah loads and loads of practice, its a huge piece of software. Are you a capable user in lightwave.

What films has lightwave been involved in do you know at all?
    I have a few hours of free tutorials on my site (check my sig) and the KURV site. Newtek also has a list of film and tv projects LW was used in.

Newbie Member
    Thanks for that spline god i shall check them out some time. 3D kiwi how long did it take you to learn as much as you know. Also where abouts are you animating and what country? Oh and Good luck with the job .

Newbie Member
    Also spline god your avatar picture is that based on golem by any chance. Did you make that?

Was lightwave used in lord of the rings does anyone know?

Tacco,
    Thanks! My avatar was something I did for fun. As far as I know LW wasnt used on LOTR.

Thanks for that spline god i shall check them out some time. 3D kiwi how long did it take you to learn as much as you know. Also where abouts are you animating and what country? Oh and Good luck with the job .
    Hay tacco, it has taken me about 2 years working after hours at lightwave to get me were i am, i would only still be an intermediate user but the job i am going to in auzzie will train me.

Newbie Member
    When you off to aussie then kiwi. Bet your looking forward to it . also would you be able to send me one of your animations so i can see the level your at to give me an idea of where i am.
    Spline god do you use lightwave as a hobby or are you working with it.

Hi Tacco,
    It started off as a hobby back in the dawn of time before LW was even called LW. I use it professionally now.

Splinegod, I've still never been aboe to get onto your site. Account is always not activated even after you over-rode it I couldn't get into my account

J-Rod

PS, this is how you hijack a thread Sorry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast