Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 64-bit Macs

64-bit Macs

The 64-bit IBM970 processor may be on sale in new Macs as early as June.

Usually new processors run late, so it is unusual that IBM in this case is running earlier than expected. The new processors are already in IBM's chip fabrication plants. It seems the entire PowerMac line will get the new 64-bit processors.

If the new machines hit the streets in June they'll initially only be operating in 32-bit mode, as Mac OS 10.2 is still a 32-bit OS.

Apple's 64-bit Panther OS will be released in September. This will enable the new machines to operate in 64-bit mode.

Some questions for Newtek:

*What is Newtek's plan regarding 64-bit Macs?

*Will Lightwave 8 be 64-bit compliant?

*Will Newtek be attending Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, to learn about the new Panther OS and 64-bit compilers?

*Can Newtek (being a major developer) get some pre-release information from Apple regarding this OS, enabling Newtek to get a head start on 64-bit development?

If there is no plan to recompile Lightwave for 64-bit Macs, what will Newtek do when these new machines are released with 8GB of RAM?
    Moral of the day:
    Worry about your own morals, not someone else's!

Thanks for the update Beam, I was going to put up a thread regarding the 64 bits today!
    Too bad I only just bought a new Mac... (Six months ago..)

Jimzip
    You know you've been learning 3D for too long when you start seeing in procedurals...

I bought a new G4 less than 6 months ago, but I don't feel disappointed. I've used it to do a lot of things in that time.

It may even be a good time to buy a 32-bit G4 Mac, as these machines will probably get discounted as the 64-bit machines arrive.
    Moral of the day:

I think that is a valid request to ask Newtek to perhaps layout a roadmap for development for OSX 64b. We don't need to hear the actual development in the software but more that you are consciously developing for it.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::
    D I G I T A L U K A

The race has been on between Apple+IBM and AMD+M$ to be first to market with a dual 32/64-bit machine.

There is now no doubt that Apple will be first to offer a 64-bit machine to consumers. The publicity around this should dispel the myth among many Windows-lovers that the Macintosh is just a toy, as they look on with envy.

Newtek have stated that they will preview Lightwave 8 at Siggraph 2003, which occurs in the last week of July. This will be more than a month after Apple has formally announced its 64-bit platform at the WWDC in June. I think Mac Lightwavers will want to see some indication of Lightwave's development for Apple's new 64-bit platform.

Do we really need 8 Gigs of RAM?

As we know, current 32-bit computer systems cannot utilize more than 4GB of RAM. Many Lightwavers (including myself) are running 2GB of RAM, so there's a little headroom, but not much.

Think for a moment about your previous computer purchases. What was the computer you had before this current one? What year did you purchase this computer? How much RAM did it have when you first started using it?

Now compare that with what you are using today. Plot it on a graph and you can estimate how much RAM people will want to use in the next generation of machines.

For this reason alone, it is incomprehensible that some people see no need to migrate to a 64-bit platform. We are now scraping the RAM ceiling and will need to move beyond it. Especially for graphics/multimedia professionals who use multiple RAM-guzzling applications at the one time.

In Newtek's case, it would be better to lead the pack and quickly recompile Lightwave for Apple's next generation machines. This would leave the pc-centric 3D Studio Max in the dust.
    Moral of the day:

Yes I would love to see LW8 rendering the Raytrace/Radiosity scene on a G5 @ Siggraph. How cool would that be!
    D I G I T A L U K A

That's a very good idea. And if the Macs are to be released in the third quarter, alongside Lightwave 8.0, then perhaps Newtek have already thought of this opportunity.
    Apparently developers are notified of any serious OS upgrades long before they arrive.
    It would be really amazing to have Lightwave as one of the first apps for OS 11, and to have it as one of the first 64-bit apps for Mac..
    You know you've been learning 3D for too long when you start seeing in procedurals...

Arrow

"DO WE REALLY NEED 8 GB RAM?"

Yes I do Beem Tracer!
    I architectural rendering, the more amount of ram the better... for the huge scene I use to play with
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

Well, hopefully NT is focusing on LW8 for 64bit Macs. I truly hope that all their time is going towards that and THAT'S why there's no 7.5b for Mac.
    I, for one, could skip 7.5b if 8 for 64bit happens. Especially at SIGGRAPH.

sigh. Now I have to squirrel away $$$ for 8 AND a new Mac.
    I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence

Maya

Isn't Maya already 64 on other platforms - Unix?

Also, the 4 gig limit is 4 gigs per process/application, not a 4 gig limit for the computer.

Originally posted by pixym
    "DO WE REALLY NEED 8 GB RAM?"

Yes I do Beem Tracer!
    I architectural rendering, the more amount of ram the better... for the huge scene I use to play with
    Hi pixym. I haven't done architectural renderings, but it's interesting to know that you have a need for more than 4 gigs of RAM if it was available.

Many video applications also need huge amounts of RAM. Some actually cache the video into RAM because it plays better than off a hard drive.

Originally posted by tallscot
    the 4 gig limit is 4 gigs per process/application, not a 4 gig limit for the computer.
    That's true. There are some Windows-based systems that have separated 2 applications into 2 different partitions of RAM.
    This is not very practical.

In 32-bit systems, the processor can only address 4 gigs of RAM at any one time. I don't believe you could run Lightwave and Modeler successfully in 2 different 4-gig partitions of RAM, and still have the Hub transfer information between them. I don't think it would work.

No... going to a true 64-bit platform is the only answer.

64-bit Macs will be on sale before too long (with AMD machines coming a bit later). Lightwavers will soon be using computers with more than 4 gigs of RAM. We will expect that Lightwave utilizes all of this RAM.

Newtek must make Lightwave a 64-bit application to retain market share.
    Moral of the day:

We will expect that Lightwave utilizes all of this RAM.
    Can someone explain to me what the difference is between "use" and "utilize"?

If not, then can someone explain to me why "utilize" has replaced "use" in the English language?

I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence

The more RAM you throw at a Unix based system the better you are. We have 64gigs to 96gigs in our big Solaris servers at work.
    Mac OS X is UNIX so it should take advantage of gigs ram.
    Maya runs on SGI's which are 64bit but not sure if Maya is 64bit.
    Also need to remember LW 5.6 ran on 64bit IRIX/Sun systems wonder how much Ram it took advantage of then?

well, we gotta assume that the rumors may just be that.. rumors...

remember the G5 rumor for the jan 2002 macworld. I remember us watching the keynote, and hearing people say.. "yeah, its the G5". yeah, didn't you hear, its going to be the G5 that is going to be announced". I mean people were just so freakin sure at that time.

Now we are talking a 64 bit CPU...

They only thing that kinda brings (positive) conspiracy theories to mind is the relsease dates... pather "in spetember" and Lightwave "4th quater'. I think September is early 4th quater. Imagine LW 8 being ready for Siggraph, but NT pushed it down to the Fall to accomodate the new OS release.

But this is just a guess, its not even a rumor....

Also, Beam, really, I'll coment on this because its in your signature. But to use basically the negative side of whats a side effect of western policy, or lets just say US policy, to make an example of the lack of humanatarian outcome from one aspect of the situation in the world, is just so unreasonable.

And i don't want to hear another p*ssy response that this is not a forum to discuss this. If one has to be bombarded with each reply or post with someone's political view, then expect an argument.
    Especially if its so one sided.

Because really, mayby without tyranny, female castration, female oppression, meaningless and outdated tribal blood feuds, state sanctioned ignorance and propaganda, religious and ethnic genocide, torture chambers, an impotent and beureaucratic United Nations, a blood thirsty Israel, a coporate/rich driven US, terror driven clerics, faith driven terrorist, state funded terrorist, organized religion, and man's general hatred and fear, then you wouldn't need Cluster bombs, Depleated uranium, and uncleared minefields that lead to the destruction of water supplies if not civillians in general.

I'm just so tired of these blanket, one sided, so liberal sloguns that make no sense and do not even reflect the realities of the world. Like peace happens in the middle east on its own. People, get to the realization that there are parts of the world where people just hate, and thats it, be it because of ignorance, boredom, fear, hunger, religion, despair or just plain revenge. Peace just doesn't come on its own. Peace comes from a balance of economics, or greed if you want, and/or fear. Fear of a nuclear exchange, fear of being ostracised, fear of change. doesn't really matter of what. Its far from the altruistic image of people holding hands and sing "coom by ya". Humans are very selfish animals, its just making sure that you can get everybody not to kill for what they want. Thats peace.

And beam, I repect the exchanges that we have had in the past, but to be bombarded with every post by such a blanket statement just invites debate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast