Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poetry In Motion

Poetry In Motion

If anyone has not seen this check it out!
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...2&page=1&pp=15

any idea of the price and when it will be out also is there a website for more information rather than just the forum?
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

hey that's an avi not a website...the website if you remove the avi part of the link is just a holding screen...no information at all.......

with it being a game engine based extension it could cost a similar amount to use it...that could mean $100,000 dollars plus......which is a typical cots of average game engines.

is there ANY information on what approx cost it will be anywhere?
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I'm guessing well below $500.

Even though the plugin looks brilliant and is really capable, if it costs nearer the $500 mark I just can't see enough people shelling out the dosh to keep it supported, especially with newer faster OpenGl functionality coming to LW 8.5, 9 etc.

Plus, using the program as a web plugin, people just don't like downloading plugins for browsers, especially if they don't recognise the producer. As the content is only being produced by people using LW prepared to shell out nearly the cost of a new license to get it, it will become even more of a niche product.

The only way I can see this program taking off is if it's priced REALLY cheaply so we can all afford it without fighting with the bank manager or the missus.

Sorry if that sounds negative, I think this program is terrific, but if the aim is to compete with the big boys on the net it's going to need a massive user base rather than a massive price tag.

Edit -
    There's something else here too, once 8.5 and beyond are released, making animations via the standard LW OGL display should be faster and much higher quality than we have at present. Fair enough, a movie made this way obviously won't allow walkthroughs but if made with a suitable codec can be placed on the web and downloaded and played by anyone with any kind of machine, irrespective of hardware, operating system and powerfull gfx cards. Again, I'm sounding a little negative here, I don't mean too, It's just all of these things will have to be taken into consideration by the developers before they come up with a price.
    Last edited by T-Light; 09-24-2005 at 07:47 PM.
    Brent

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Erm, a 3d engine using the graphic cards features takes a couple of months to write for one or two people spending some time on the weekends. A friend of mine made his own using real time reflections, raytraced area shadows and so on just like that. This plugin is of course extremely well done, but it could sell for the price of a video game, not a video game licence. If it does, I'll probably buy it. It would be great if it could be mounted in a view window, perhaps something for LW 9 which will probably support that.

Exception-
    This plugin is of course extremely well done, but it could sell for the price of a video game, not a video game licence. If it does, I'll probably buy it.
    :agree:

edit- Quill 3D used to sell for $59, so pim with it's added features and LW integration? The figure of $100 keeps coming to mind.
    Last edited by T-Light; 09-25-2005 at 11:45 PM.
    Brent

hi all, im on the beta-team of PIM Tools and i just got this nice holiday note from Enki and devs with the current developments.

Hey All,

With the hollidays coming up, I thought I'd post a couple of more pimtools samples. The team and I have been working extremely hard (big thanks to all the betatesters), and we hope to be able to get to a release date real soon. Lots of features have been added or improved upon, and we are currently on a feature stop, finalising documentation, testing, and creating
    samples.

I you cant wait and want to help betatesting, let me know (because off comm. overhead,
    I will limit the nr of testers). Among the new features, we now have realtime shadow
    support, volumetric lights, major improvements and additions on the javascript parser,
    the web-applet backend up and running, .. and more ..

Here is a samples demonstrating tangent-space normalmapping, shadows, and realtime cctv .. (That's what it'll be called in lw9).

and off course, a little exe to demonstrate .. U'll need a video card with shader support ..

download here.

and here's a screenie of a simple volumetric scene ..

(the normalmap shader plugin (not pim) .. has some problems with uvmapped coords .. that's why the lw-render is off).

Enjoy your hollidays everyone !

Enki [Mute Fantasies]
    Poetry In Motion
    Graphics Programmer

hav' fun

mlon
    lw_chanlum [free shader and node x32] <HERE!>
    lw_chanlum [advanced node x32, x64, ub and osx] <HERE!>

Blog Entries
    new demo video uploaded.. it is amazing !

pim demo video

demonstrating :

- high polygoncount scene (900k polys)
    - fast preview render to disk / motionblur
    - rt volumetric lighting
    - interactive scene, exe compiler
    - avi textures
    - tangent space normalmapping, interactive character anim
    - first person walkaround, parallax normalmapping, rt dof, web applets

_ C h a r a c t e r W o r k s _
    CG and Motion Graphics application

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    That is so awesome...
    words fail.
    I can CAN Quest3D!
    I can eat lunch off of my Director cd!
    I can play frisbee with my VRML player licences!
    I can wipe the floor with Flash 3D!
    Did someone dare to say 'Unreal Editor?' You're FIRED!

Whoa...
    lemme beta test.. oh pretty puhlease!

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    not seeing any pics, just placeholders, and video link is dead
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Blog Entries
    http://users.pandora.be/lucidlights/pimdemo_hi.avi working now...

I hope NewTek can add this amazing thing in LightWave too.. It is also possible that it will work with VideoToaster.. Because it can use video sources for realtime effect.. So VideoToaster + This thing can make Virtual Studios, Realtime 3D CGs and lots of fun

That depends alot on the capture card and compression. On our test machine,equiped with a Spectra-8 (bt878 based) capture card, pim can easily do 2 full-rez captures, including deinterlacing (720x576x24bx25f - with gready 2frame deinterlace).
    If you switch to 16 bit capture, you could do more; compressed video will take up extra cpu time to decompress (and less captures will be possible). The limits are mainly caused by the slow speed of the PCI bus, we have yet to test on PCI-express ..

Another important note is that it ain't just overlays .. the videos are usable as any other texture (on any channel of any surface with any type of mapping), plus you can easily add pimShaders to do for example a live HSB, levels or chromakey ..

For some more info on that, you could take a look at http://www.woaw.biz . Their mvpi800 product is a networked multiscreen video mixer based on the pim engine.

_ C h a r a c t e r W o r k s _
    CG and Motion Graphics application

Just wondering what was the status, if it will be released soon.

I know Newtek can't include this on LW9.X or anything (hoping I'm wrong), but wouldn't it be cool if we could have something like this as a render type.
    It would blow away the "Hardware Render" of the other App I use at school.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

It would deffinantly be a nice suprise if when we recieved 9 it was included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast