Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Lightwave do Ghostrails?

Can Lightwave do Ghostrails?

http://www.bytegeistsoftware.com/ima...teve_Green.wmv

Video from 3d studio max plug in.

Was wondering if there is a simlar plug in for Lightwave. This could be very useful. I'd pay alot of $$$ for it.
    -----------------
    KC

There was a plugin I saw that had a similar effect but I don't remember it's name.

Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

I don't know if this'll do the trick or not. What I was thinking of was similar to this.

http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

You could do it with particles and HV sprites.
    Shift afterimage filter does it on a surface by surface basis.
    http://www.shift.gr.jp/html/staff/plugin.html
    You can also use FIs Lagmotion or LWs Intertia on objects to make
    them stretch and leave a trail. With motion blur and other settings it can look pretty good.

SplineGod's right. This took just a few minutes to make using particles, wind, and HV sprites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Axis, that's sweet. I've been looking for something like this in LW to do animated backgrounds with... your image is exactly what I've been looking for. Would you mind sharing your settings? I understand how to get the "glowing" look with HV sprites... what I don't get is how to make them curve and trail like that....

EDIT: I just looked at that "Shift Afterimage" plugin posted above... is that what you used? If so, is there anything else does something similar? We're running on Macs over here, and that plugin is only for PC.
    Last edited by marble_sheep; 08-15-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Digital Delight for Analog People
    www.DereksDigital.com

Shift afterimage filter works great but as you said its PC only.
    Getting the effect with HVs is easy. You just have to have a moving particle emitter which emits enough particles to have tight spacing. Apply HVs to the particle emitter(s).

Larry,

One of the perils of working on a Mac. No plugins. Sigh. Anyway, I've messed around with the method you mentioned before, but animating a bunch of emitters by hand is tedious. Ah well, 3D really isn't the career for someone with no patience, now is it?? So I suppose I should suck it up and just do it
    www.DereksDigital.com

Make a 2 point poly chain in modeler. Make sure the start is at 0,0,0 and the tail goes in the +Z direction.

In Layout, load the 2point poly chain and keyframe it around; add lazy points to it so that the points dilly dally about, swinging wildly with the motion.

From here, high blur, corona and the like give great background starting points. More than one chain, in shapes and letters, make for some cool stuff.
    And when Aurora gets back and releases his plugin, there's gonna be even COOLER stuff than this available to you.
    Look here:
    http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewfo...b3f2b2df1d1673

marble_sheep,

The effect is very simple and done entirely with no plugins.

1. Add a Particle Emitter. In mine, I changed the birth rate to 20 per sec.

2. Add a second Particle Emitter. I name this one Trails.

3. Parent the Trails emitter to the first emitter.

4. Open the Properties Panel for Trails emitter. Change Nozzle to Parent-Emitter. I chose a Birth Rate of 3 per frame. This makes sure your trails won't look like dotted trails. You might have to add more per frame if you have a fast-moving emitter. Also, change the Generator Size to 0,0,0. I changed the Particle Limit to 10,000.

Switch to the Particle Tab and change the LifeTime(frame) to 0. Entering a 0 in here basically disables the "die out" function of the particle and the particle will remain for the entire animation.

Switch to the Etc Tab and change the Parent Motion to 0. This keeps the particles from being flung by the first emitter. These particles will just be born in place and will basically just "trace" the path of the parent emitter's particles.

5. Next, add a Wind effector. Choose anything that stirs up the particles in a neat way. I chose Vortex in my example.

6. In Layout, if you click play, you should see the Trails emitter being traced out by the path of the first emitter.

In my example, the wind is influencing both particle groups. You could tell each particle emitter to be part of its own group, then have the wind effector influence only the first particle emitter. That way, the Trails emitter won't be bending and twisting during the animation. It will only trace the exact path of the first particle emitter. There are a million variations. Hope this helps.

Particle in 3-D space.
    Thanks for the good tutorial!
    Here is a test I did:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tiger; 08-15-2005 at 04:11 PM.
    Vista Home Premium Service pack 1
    Albatron GF8800GTS 640MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4GHz
    Samsung HD321KJ 300GB
    Asus P5B i965P
    2 1024MB DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz

What I would do is create a particle object in modeler...something with 15 or so vertices in it.
    In layout make it a particle emitter. Set it to emit the same number of particles per frame as you have points in the object. This basically makes each vertex in your particle object an emitter.
    Now you can animate it, scale it, rotate it, move it etc and thats the shape the trails will follow. You could also have it travel thru a displacement map set to world coords. The object could also be animated using a series of endomorphs or deformed by bones all at the same time.

Axis,

YES! thank you for the helpful info. I did a quick test and this was exactly what I was looking for. There seems to be a ton of possibilities... when I have some time I'll explore it more. Thanks again!

www.DereksDigital.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast