Thread: Gradient confusion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gradient confusion

I have an object whose surface includes a gradient that changes from the front of the object to its rear. I have this mostly working using Distance From and a null (distance from null).

the null is parent to my object, so that where the null moves, so does the object. Yet when the null/object are far away, you can't see this gradient surface; you can see it when both are near the camera. I need that surface to behave constantly, and I'm not seeing why it doesn't based on the fact that I'm using a null to control it.

I've tried using Distance from pivot point but that gets me nowhere (I position the object's pivot point right where the null is placed in another file using the same object.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

thank you!

Johnny

You mentioned you're parenting the null to the object, and then when you move the null the texture changes. I think you've got your parenting backwards.

Hoop
    www.mean3d.com

"Problems worthy of attack, prove their worth by hitting back." -- Piet Hein

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopti
    You mentioned you're parenting the null to the object, and then when you move the null the texture changes. I think you've got your parenting backwards.

Hoop

sorry..I might have written it wrong; the null is the parent, the object with the gradient is the child, and the child's surface uses a gradient which incorporates Distance from Object, which in this case is the null.

J

Try this thread and see if you get some ideas.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...light=gradient

If not post a pic of your object and lets take a look.

Here's a scenefile with a box parented to a null, using a distance to object gradient, with the null moving, and the gradient remaining the same. I'm not able to duplicate your problem. Let me know where my assumptions are wrong and I'll try to help.

The movie of this scene is here:

http://www.bigdogvideos.com/gradientbox.mov

Hope this helps.

Hoop
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.mean3d.com

"Problems worthy of attack, prove their worth by hitting back." -- Piet Hein

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopti
    Hope this helps.

Hoop

yeah, actually it does...now, after coffee, I'm going to take some screenshots and do a few renders to show the problem I'm having...

hope it's something dumb, or something I forgot TO do...

thanks for the help..pics to follow shortly.

Johnny