Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D« [8] Preview at SIGGRAPH

LightWave 3D« [8] Preview at SIGGRAPH

NewTek is pleased to announce that we will be previewing LightWave 3D« [8] at SIGGRAPH 2003, July 29-31, Booth#2848. NewTek's LightWave 3D [8] is expected to ship in the fourth quarter of this year. Development for this release of LightWave« will focus on workflow and user interface improvements. In addition, LightWave [8] will include enhancements to character animation tools and game development tools, as well as improved integration with other production tools and with 3rd party add-ons.

NewTek is also pleased to announce that those who purchase LightWave 3D [7.5], full copy or upgrade, from April 1, 2003, until LightWave 3D [8] ships will receive the LightWave 3D [8] update free, by download. Those who have been considering purchase of a new or upgrade seat of LightWave may do so knowing that an investment now will also secure them the next generation of this industry-standard 3D toolset.

For details, to locate a reseller, or to purchase, see:

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Yippy!!!!

Chuck, please post a small feature list... I'm droolin'. I gotta save 400 bucks!! With all the traveling I'll be doing it's gonna drain me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Just got off the phone with Newtek from ordering my upgrade to 7.5!!!! I am sooooooo stoked just to get 7.5, let alone 8!

Person of Lordly Stature oxyg3n's Avatar
    Hello Chuck,

I was just wondering if you could tell us what has been included to help with game dev?

This is a big interest of mine, and I have a group of friends who make game mods but all use max! I would love to get into moding and still use LW. That would be awesome.

Hi, Lamont, Oxyg3n!

We hate to be teases (no really! ), but we aren't ready to post feature information at this time, beyond the broad categories mentioned above. Sorry!
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Oh man. I hope you guys do something at Sig so that I could try to win it...

I'm with you Oxy (Nor Cal!! Yeah!), more game tools, but what problems are you having? Export? I've seen exports for almost every major game out there: Quake, Half Life, Doom, Unreal...
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Newbie Member
    if I'm a student and purchase 7.5, will i get 8 edu version free too ?? if not how much ? also when will v8 educational be available ? thx !

This should allay many of the concerns amongst the community about the stagnation of LW development and the NT / Lux situation - and hopefully when the software development approach that's been used for VT is applied to LW we will see more frequent point releases of LW after 8 is released.

That said, with another 6-9 months to go before expected release date, NT has got plenty of time to really cram in enhancements, so LW8 should be a monster app.

And on that point Chuck, around the feature set, you've mentioned broad categories (character animation, game development, workflow and UI, ....) and don't want to be drawn on detail. Fair enough.

But can we also assume that there will be significant enhancements in other elements of LW? Being 100% selfish, I'm not interested in character animation or game dev, although I know lots of people are, so you need to cater for that. What I and many others would like to see is a fairly serious beefing up of the materials and rendering side of things - any comment on those, even in general terms? Or am I reading your posting too narrowly re feature set?

Neil

For those of us who purchased LW 7.5 before April 03 what is it going to cost to upgrade to 8?

yay.

only I do hope that they remember to make it as stable as a rock!

Rei
    I know where I'm going and I know the truth and I don't have to be what you want me to be
    I'm free to be what I want

Yeah, stability and robustness... we really push LW hard every day and its pretty rock solid. If 8 is as well and improves things to boot that would be awesome!

I also hope that the upgrade doesn't break too many plugins.

Turbo, probably $395 from 7.x and $495 from anything prior, if history is any indication.

Person of Lordly Stature oxyg3n's Avatar
    Hello Chuck,

I was so afraid that you were going to tell me that, dangit, I wanted to run off and brag to my max friends!! LOl

NOrCal Rocks!!

@Lamont - Well, maybe I havent found the right exporter, mainly my friends are into modding for q3 and recently they shelled out the dough for the tribes2 engine ( dont know what the official name of it is) so that they can develope and market their own game.
    I just want the ability to export to the game engine and set up animations, although I have no idea how you animate a cycyle in lw to export to a game yet, can you recommend any good exporters/ plugins to help with this process. OR any tutorials?

I am excited that Doom3 natively supports .lwo files maybe this is a good sign od things to come!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast