Thread: Smoothing across objects

Smoothing across objects

I am trying to make an object with 72 different pieces formed into a cylinder. Object on left is 1 piece and object on right is 72. I want the right one to look like the 1st one, but still be in 72 different pieces. Any ideas on how to do this?

you could do that with a clipmap.

copy the 2 segments next to each one to create a smooth edge between the seperate pieces, merge them, and create a weightmap where you give the polygons you want to show a value of 100% and the the ones you want to hide -100%.

Then in the objects panel, create a gradient clipmap where you use white for -100% and black for 100%.

You could do that for one piece and just clone the object in Layout.

I think I left a small detail out. Each of the 72 pieces looks like this.

After I made the cylinder, I removed a section and added some polygons to make it a single piece. Each one of the pieces needs to be able to move independently from each other, and when the come together in the cylinder form have a smooth edge.

Custom User Title
    Hello!

I couldn`t swear to it, but this sounds like as job for normal mapping, doesn`t it? If you map the direction of the poly normals from the cylinder onto those of the bars you should get them to mimic the original look.

Cheers,

R

Edit: Didn`t read the bit about the bars separating. Guess this idea won`t work, then! You might get the right result by morphing the bars into overlapping arcing plates to form the cylinder.

Edit#2: If all the bar pieces are coming together at the same time, the easiest solution would be an object disolve in Layout.
    Last edited by Rory_L; 05-21-2005 at 11:12 PM.

You could just animate the pieces to form into a cylindrical shape. At the same time you have the nice smooth cylinder dissolved out. When the pieces lock up dissolve them out and dissolve the nice cylinder in.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod
    You could just animate the pieces to form into a cylindrical shape. At the same time you have the nice smooth cylinder dissolved out. When the pieces lock up dissolve them out and dissolve the nice cylinder in.
    I'm also tilting the pieces so I don't think that'll work. I somehow need to make the pieces the exact shape it's supppose to be, regardless of other pieces. Maybe I could subpatch it somehow to? Might have to increase the polys.