Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxx and Dell for LightWave

Quote Originally Posted by Puma
    As far as time is money is concerned, if I can save a day every 3 months by having better hardware, I've more than made up for that little $1200.
    Well, as I said, buy two systems- one to work on, one to render with and you could save yourself a day every day instead of every three months.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    Well, as I said, buy two systems- one to work on, one to render with and you could save yourself a day every day instead of every three months.
    I still would want cheap hardware. Spec out a dual Opteron system from Dell with 4 GB RAM a Quatro FX 3400 with a 500GB RAID. You cant. Dell is very limiting to graphics professionals. Not to mention more expensive than scratch built. I wasn't being a proponet for Boxx. I'm a proponet for getting decent hardware, it pays back in so many ways.

It comes down to this: Your deadlines depend on you getting work done. Would you rather have two barely adequate machines or one decent one that's designed to do the work you do?
    Last edited by Puma; 04-12-2005 at 09:30 PM.

As a very small side business I build a couple dozen systems a year for 3D and AEC businesses in my area. I agree with WizCraker it would costs me about $2400 for me to build it and I will turn around an sell it for approx. $5000. Nice markup but you have to factor in support which I pay a 3rd party for . I have had issues with Dell before, for instance I once ordered 4 identical $4500 workstations for a company all spec'ed identically to save on spare parts and convenience......well everyone was slightly different.....hard drives from different manufacturers...different motherboards and such.....so much for standard. If you don't need support build it yourself or have a local small company build one for you. With what you save you will NEVER spend that much to replace anything that may break. Just my 2 cents.
    k.no.w .... Boundaries

If building it yourself, you can build about the same ( performance wise ) machine as Dell or Boxx for less than $3000.

Both of those prices are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD
    If building it yourself, you can build about the same ( performance wise ) machine as Dell or Boxx for less than $3000.

Both of those prices are ridiculous.

yep ! and I think even less than 3000$

and again, they (both) are charging a lot for a dual 3.6 because dual 3.6 is the
    lastest chips... and you pay a lot for the best (and too much)

here are some price near me: (US dollars) (price of only 1 chip)

XEON 2.8 /1MB GHz $279
    XEON 3.0 /1MB GHz $359
    XEON 3.2 /1MB GHz $419
    XEON 3.4 /1MB GHz $569
    XEON 3.6 /1MB GHz $849

the 3.6 (because it's the highest right now) is incredible overprice compared to the others, and it's NOT incredible faster.

but if you want the best, that's your choice, but prepare to pay a lot
    Last edited by JML; 04-13-2005 at 10:12 PM.

LW Watcher
    Everybody seems to think that the value of a PC = cost of the components.

Many people don't want to worry about every detail of what goes inside, they might not want to spend hours putting it all together to find that they've got a duff memory chip or the MB is shorting or the PSU isn't beefy enough. Many people don't want to be worried about sorting it out if it keeps rebooting or fails completely after two weeks use.

If you're comfortable building stuff and have the spare time then building PCs is fine. If you want to avoid the potential hassle when something doesn't work of having to spend hours/days fixing it, then buying a machine saves you from that.

I happen to think that many talented people out there could probably save money buying machines because they would probably earn as much in the time they would otherwise devote to hardware.

We're all different, building is good for some, buying for others, but the cost of components doesn't = value of buying.

There's a lot I like about Dell - I have an inspiron and they keep sending me intersting offers. I suspect having a Dell isn't as cool as having a BOXX machine and even that might be important if you're looking to wow clients in your offices. I also have a soft spot for the (in company size) underdog.

Good luck with your choices!

Paul

Everybody seems to think that the value of a PC = cost of the components
    Yes, agreed that this is not quite true, but there are plenty of places that will (1) check the components you pick for compatibility; and (2) assemble them and load the OS. And do this for a very nominal fee ($50-$100). I was going to build one myself but when I found out how reasonable the build fee was from monarchcomputer.com, I just had them do it. I've had zero problems with my Athlon64 system from them, built in December.

LW Watcher
    Yes, you're right, though in comparison to Dell and Boxx, I guess they won't sort out your system if it develops a fault two months down the line.

Here I am putting in the good word for ready-made systems, yet I've built all my stand-alone PCs. I wouldn't do it if I had enough work to allow me to pay someone else to do it rather than waste that time myself.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    Sounds like Proton is on the Boxx payroll....
    That's kind of funny, Steve. If I remember correctly we have both been accused of being on Newtek's payroll. I wouldn't knock Boxx until you've tried one. One of the Boxx honchos is on CGTalk all the time, seems like a real good guy. If I didn't roll my own, I'd probably buy a Boxx. Sometimes it just feels better to buy things from someone you can actually talk to (like Newtek and Boxx) vs. a huge faceless entity like Dell.

Cool

I haven't been able to try a BOXX, because of the price. However, my Dell Precision works fairly well.... though I made the mistake of putting an ATI card in them. Alas. Have to save up for a replacement card. ^_^

I don't know about BOXX's component replacement system, but I do rather like the Dell approach of just sending you the part, and then you put the old piece back into the box you got the new part in, and send that back, postage paid by Dell.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

And if your budget is ****only 1,200.00**** then build out a Shuttle XPC - parts from newegg. Life can be very nice at only 1,200.00. - Ok maybe more like 1,895.00 for all the dodads, but for those of us who have not the BIG bucks - a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    And if your budget is ****only 1,200.00**** then build out a Shuttle XPC - parts from newegg. Life can be very nice at only 1,200.00. - Ok maybe more like 1,895.00 for all the dodads, but for those of us who have not the BIG bucks - a deal.

I have one of these at home, and it's a great little machine. Now I'm kicking myself for getting it. I'm starting to work with stuff that requires more memory than the XPC mobo can support. I'm trying to see if I can buy myself another machine and use the XPC as a media machine connected to my TV. The XPC also has an issue with my Audigy2. The onboard sound on the XPC is ok, but not nearly good enough for anything remotely professional. If you are just a hobbyist, it's fine.

All this being said, it's by far the quietest system I've ever used. That was my main reason for getting it. The second reason, it's footprint is really small and sets on the desk away from my 14 month-old daughter fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by mattclary
    That's kind of funny, Steve. If I remember correctly we have both been accused of being on Newtek's payroll. I wouldn't knock Boxx until you've tried one.
    Hey Matt, I wasn't knocking Boxx (or Proton) in regards to that statement. I'm sure Boxx builds great workstations that are focused on graphics but I'm just a little appalled really at the price of the workstation in question whether it be from Dell or Boxx. As a lot of people have pointed out here, building your own can save you money. But more importantly, I think you're really wasting a lot of money that may not give you significantly better performance. As you very well know Matt, Lightwave doesn't seem to take full advantage of Open GL as some other programs do (you've even advised me personally before against spending a lot of money to upgrade my video card at what you say would be a minimal increase of performance). I just wonder really how much more performance you get out of a $6k workstation(in regards to Lightwave) then just a really nice $2k system. The performance doesn't seem to be there for the price.

Yes, you're right, though in comparison to Dell and Boxx, I guess they won't sort out your system if it develops a fault two months down the line.
    From my friends' experiences neither will Dell. Their and most other big companies' tech support are clueless.

You are actually better off assembling a computer yourself and fixing it yourself if something goes wrong. You will save time.

FWIW:

In Computer Arts March 2005 Issue (#107), they rate 5 systems. AMong them are a Dell and a BOXX. The BOXX was ranked SECOND and the Dell ranked FOURTH.

That's only the opion of a writer or magazine, and everyone has opinions. I just thought I'd throw this out for you guys. I don;t own a Dell or BOXX for my stuff, mines a peice-built system.

Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck with it. May your machine never die.
    Thanx,
    Matt

(I will come back to LightWave3D when the support Linux. Linux isn't going anywhere, guys. Time to accept it!)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast