Thread: What would be the easiest way to make a pipe

Newbie Member

What would be the easiest way to make a pipe

I'm just curious about the easiest way to make a long-as-I-want thin pipe-like tube and then have it conform to a path. Say for example to do a red trim on the edge of a helmet, or to wrap rope around an object, etc.

Please give a step by step if possible. Thanks in advance.

Rail Extrude a flat polygon.

watch the Braid tutorial I just posted and you will get the steps no problem

Newbie Member
    Thanks. I did watch that. Great vid. The part of making a pipe isn't really the hard part though. What I'm more concerned is to twist and shape it, or to make it follow whatever curve I want after it is already made. Is there a way to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanephan
    Say for example to do a red trim on the edge of a helmet

You could copy the polygons you want make the trim with into a new layer and use tool like "thickener" (3rd party LSript) to add thickness?

I don't have LW 8 but there should be a similar tool

Kuzey

Ok....skip that, I think I'm on the wrong track.

Kuzey

Quote Originally Posted by Kanephan
    Thanks. I did watch that. Great vid. The part of making a pipe isn't really the hard part though. What I'm more concerned is to twist and shape it, or to make it follow whatever curve I want after it is already made. Is there a way to do that?

I think it's easier to make it follow a curve when u make it VS after you make it.

Hey,

Thanks for that tutorial, I had no idea what point normal move was. Brilliant

Parm
    "We've gone on holiday by mistake"

Some place in Texas between somewhere and the middle of nowhere, where ever that is.
    The suggestion by Proton is the best way to do it in LightWave out of the box. However if you want to add a plugin to help do the Job, then I suggest you try Rope Editor Plus. It is perfect for making pipe that wraps around things.

The demo version is here: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...9&page=1&pp=15

Info on the full version is here: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...t=27044&page=1

Website is here: http://www.next4d.com/

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    I was going to suggest rope editor too. Probably the most inovative plugin I've seen for awhile.

My A-1 easiest way to do stuff like piping trim?

Make a flat poly disk the needed diameter with 6 sides. maybe eight max.

Extrude it out to the approximate length needed with a lot of sections (for bending) and turn on sub-division.

Create a ciurve for the shape you want it to be.

Center both at 0, 0, 0.

Now save both - the curve can be in the same layer, different layer or even a different seperate object.

Load these into Layout. Select the pipe, set render level, and add 'Conform to Curve' deformation. Select the curve you want it to conform to and you're basically done. You can set the amount of conform, envelope it, stretch/compress the length so it matches the curves lenght.

Nice thing about doing it this way is all you have to do to chage the shape is drag a few curve points around. And it works great if you want procedurals to follow the shape.

No problem.

Still have watch proton's vid - but bet it's good.

byte_fx

There are several ways to make a tube that conforms to a particular path. You can pick points in various ways such as using the select loop tool. Once you have the points selected that you need hit ctrl + p to create a spline. Once you have a spline you can rail extrude your polygon.

You can also create a spline and then use BGConform or KO_Point fit to make the spline conform to the surface of an object.

You can also use the spline guide tool to bend objects after the fact.

Another method is to have your object in one layer and a poly in another layer that you will use with the Solid Drill tool in Stencil mode. From this stencil you can create a string of points that conform to a surface and follow a particular direction. You can use those points to create a spline again.

I have a free video on my site that shows how to model a baseball. It demonstrates how to create a spline by stenciling the ball . The same spline is used to rail extrude a polygon, rail clone the stitching and several other things.

Newbie Member
    Thanks Byte, I was looking for something like that.

And splinegod, can I have a link to your site?

*EDIT* Nevermind. Didn't see your sig.