Thread: OT: Conferencing / Screen-Sharing Software - Recommendations?

Post OT: Conferencing / Screen-Sharing Software - Recommendations?

Hi all

Our company is looking into buying some decent PC based conferencing / screen-sharing software for showing live images to our overseas clients.

Not really that interested in video conferencing in the traditional sense because they all suck! However, some well-written, easy to use software that allows voice communication along with the sharing of a PC screen would be ideal.

Can anyone recommend anything that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

P.S. Oh, Skype doesn't fit the bill! Nor does MSM!

P.P.S. NewTek, if you're interested in knocking something up then please feel free!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

have you looked on realvnc or [email protected] or derivatives of that tech

I use that a lot to provide support for my programs. (my programs are not related to graphics if your should wonder - more like hotel reservation systems)
    www.bytehawk.net

1 : Imac 27’ I7 mid 2017 8Gb ram

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    I spent all this morning trying to demo LightWave to someone at a distance using Remote Assistance. I had previously tried with a friend and all had worked, but with this potential customer all they got was the interface, no OpenGL at all...

B
    PS. VNC works, but is far too slow and demands something be installed at both ends of the connection. I used Remote Assistance because it's built into WinXP...

PPS. Used Skype for the audio since that works far better than the Msoft alternative...
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

You can have a look at on premise R-HUB HD video conferencing servers for all your video conferencing needs. It provides decent screen sharing and PC based conferencing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hi all

Our company is looking into buying some decent PC based conferencing / screen-sharing software for showing live images to our overseas clients.

Not really that interested in video conferencing in the traditional sense because they all suck! However, some well-written, easy to use software that allows voice communication along with the sharing of a PC screen would be ideal.

Can anyone recommend anything that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

P.S. Oh, Skype doesn't fit the bill! Nor does MSM!

P.P.S. NewTek, if you're interested in knocking something up then please feel free!

Hi, I am not sure which software you mean when you say "video conferencing in the traditional sense". A least for busines, during the last few months I've had lots of meetings with screen sharing on the follwoing apps:

ZOOM: I think calls are free up to 45min. After which you have to reconect again for another 45 free minutes. If you don't want that limitation then you buy into one of their plans. You can screen share, ceede control to anyone else in the meeting so that they can point at things or even use the software you are sharing the screen of, they could click in your lightwave buttons for instance.

Microsoft Teams: This has been implemented by the office I work for. Linked to outlook and outlook calendar. Similar capabilities. Not sure if you need to pay or if you can have short free calls as in ZOOM. In any case, attendees to the meeting (if you are the host) don't need to pay, just download the client.

Cisco Webbex: I've used this one as well, to a lesser extend. Works similarly. I've only used it when attending a meeting hosted by a person using this system.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by luzlight; 06-03-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    Space Emotion - Architecture - www.space-emotion.com

I forgot to say, a key capability you want to have, in order to keep meetings starting without problems, is the hability so send invites directly from software, so attendees just have to click a link to get into the meeting. Makes a huge difference if you are talking to several people at difference locations. Invites go directly into peope's calendars which is very convenient as it deals automatilcally with differences in time zones. At least on the systems I've made mention of above this feature is included.
    Last edited by luzlight; 06-03-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Some of their company clients might be starting to show signs of impatience by now if the issue wasn't solved.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Damn, I replied without checking the date of the original post !.

How many will join the call?
    My first thought was Discord. Up to 9 guests can see your screen and all have voice chat.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Hi,

I've been using www.8x8.vc

It's browser to browser, nothing to download. No need to sign up, just name your room and share your URL.

Thanks,

Nige.
    Last edited by barnabythebear; 06-04-2020 at 06:44 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    "I'm full of dust and guitars"
    -----------------------------------------
    Lightwave 8.5
    Electric Image 9.1 (Beta 10)
    Silo 2.5