Thread: new cpus coming out soon

Dave W.

new cpus coming out soon

Have a question.
    Has anyone heard about the new double cpus coming out, and what kind of performance we can expect? Could we you just one of those instead of a dual xeon set up? The reason why I ask is I am getting ready to buy Vt4 and am going to set up a new system for it and am really looking at all angles. Thanks....
    modelling is a way of life

IF your talking about the new cell processors I dont think they will actually be out for some time. So I think the dual xeons is stil your best bet.
    "I bite my tongue every time you come around. Cuz blood in my mouth beats blood on the ground."

-Incubus

No he is talking about the Dual and Multi core CPU technologies...

Well go to intel and see what there roll out plan is...
    It should be later this year....3rd, 4th quarter...but how much and how many motherboards will support it is another question....

AMD should be coming out by 3rd quarter as well...

And yes this should be Kickass, not so much for the VT but for LW, Aura etc... should be amazing.

The PCI Express is more interesting for throughput issues thou...along with SAS storage...and serial based computing...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

I wonder who will implement serial computing, SAS, and MultiCore CPUs first (Intel or AMD) and if Newtek will take advantage of it in Toaster or Lightwave? Will Toaster or Lightwave be coded to use the GPU power of PCI express to help render. And with a 300mb/s throughput of SAS will real-time HD streams be in Newteks' plans?

I guess time will tell! With computer and software evolving so fast this year will defiantly be the "Year Of HD." As the prices of HDTVs go down and more set get into American house holds, an HD solution from Newtek should be emanate. (Maybe at NAB)
    Last edited by David; 02-11-2005 at 02:28 AM.

My bet at this time is AMD...check out the new Tyan Mobo....it is multi core ready supports PCI express has SATA II built in....etc...etc...SAS is waiting for PCI express to be more available....but this system with dual Opteron's looks to be the best transitional Mobo out there to go with until the 32bit to 64 bit transition along with FULLY serialized computing is a reality....Intel's EM64 isn't truely 64bit...really only memory extensions.....

But we need NT to support these latest opterons for VT...not just for LW...

BTW...it was a BOXX Opteron that 64bit LW was shown...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Whether Intel or AMD will be first is a rather silly question, considering IBM released their first dual-core CPU a couple of years ago.

Seriously though, a single dual-core CPU should have slightly better performance than a regular dual system, depending on what you do.

You are correct that IBM released mulit core technology long ago and have gotten the process really cooking on their high end processors...

But those haven't been brought down to the desktop user base.

Opterons have been designed to be multi core...so this should happen fairly quickly...

As to performance...with hyper threading, etc...this should give a significant boost to processor intensive operations...ie. 3D and composting applications...as to how much VT would benefit directly..I can't say but as to a whole production pipeline and workflow...it would be a big gain...

But that also needs to be with PCI Express, SATA II, SAS, etc...etc...

Along with operability between 32/64 bit systems...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Even though the Cell might not see use as main CPU in desktops or workstations, it does imply several things... That IBM have finally gotten their Fishkill plant running as it should, meaning higher clock frequencies on G5s, and that IBM are working on, or even finished, a desktop/workstation PPC based on POWER5 (just like the G5, or PPC 970, was based on the POWER4). Imagine two dual-core 'G6' processors with SMT running at ~3GHz each. That would give really good performance in just about everything, especially thing like Newtek's products.

Dave W.
    modelling is a way of life